Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 02:47 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
ROFLAO getting paid minimum wage is YOUR fault
MY fault?

The last time I made minimum wage was back in the late 1960s, when it was $1.75/hr and I was in high school.

Just think, from 1967 when minimum wage was $1.75 to 2014, when it is $7.25 (I think). There must have been a few raises in the minimum wage over that period of time. Did our economy fall apart each and every time?

After I married in 1969, I believe the minimum wage had gone up to $1.95/hr. I remember going to the grocery store to buy a week's worth of food for myself and husband. I paid $20 for that week of food and it included a few steaks.

Our apartment rent was $70/month.

Without taxes being taken out, the $1.95 wage brought in $312/month. Say taxes were $50/month, so that would make take-home $262/month.

Food: $80/month
Rent: $70/month

equals $150 for the basics; food and shelter.

That still left $112/month for miscellaneous things. Utilities and such.

And even enough to SAVE a little every month.

(did I mention that my husband worked; I didn't at that time)

Now at the current $7.25/hr minimum wage the gross monthly would be $1,160. Taxes? No clue. Let's say $200/month.

That leaves $960/month for food and shelter. In the Northeast at least, a couple would be hard-pressed to find a safe, decent apartment for less than $800/month. Maybe they can share an apartment. So, $400/month for shelter. That leaves $560/month for all the rest.

However, not everyone can share a place to live, or find a suitable room-mate, so it's back up to $800/month, leaving $160/mo for food and utilities.

It just doesn't compute; it doesn't compare AT ALL with the minimum wage of the 1960s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 02:53 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
The Poor: They spend every penny they get. They whine, complain and blame but refuse to look at themselves as the problem.

The Middle Class: As they become more successful they tend to buy liabilities. They use credit, tomorrows earnings to buy more liabilities. They think their house is an asset and have used it as a bank and we see what happened with that.

The Rich: They buy assets that produce a cash flow that pays for their liabilities.
True, and that's why the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. BTW, a large percent of the "working poor" don't have full time jobs so that's another reason they are poor.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I'm sure you have a guaranteed way that someone making $27,000/year can buy assets.

A lot of lower income people are bad with money, but a big chunk of American families are raking in < $40,000/year and that doesn't allow for much beyond food and housing in most parts of the country.
Particularly after they buy smart phones and pay for cable TV.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Many workers fault globalization for the decline of decent-paying middle-class jobs, since big companies have moved many manufacturing plants and other types of operations overseas, where labor is cheaper. But the Dallas Fed sees that as a small factor in the loss of middle-skill jobs. A much bigger factor is the automation that has come with the digital revolution, since computers and other machines can now do many of the jobs once performed by humans."
Correct. Which makes it even more important for people to learn valuable skills.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:10 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Particularly after they buy smart phones and pay for cable TV.
OMG and when the working poor in the 1980's had TV's, cable, and telephones....smartphones didn't exist, but telephone lines were expensive.

Suddenly you are all OK for our standard of living to go BACKWARDS while our GDP goes up! Dont you see a issue with that? Why do you want our country to get worse for people, while the actual total income is going up? Oh because the rich deserve it, not the working folks....

Old 06-05-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Correct. Which makes it even more important for people to learn valuable skills.
I work as a software engineer. 90% of the population is just not capable of doing it or anything really complex like this. Until we can manipulate their DNA and their brains, thats not going to change. And thats true for a LOT of the skills that will be valuable in the future.

Its a problem, and I don't know the answer to it. I do know its not to tell these folks "go do it". they just aren't smart enough.

Invest in brain mapping, and genetic manipulation? Im not joking either, im being serious. We need to start considering modifying people at this level to be productive and keep pace with the technology.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:32 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
OMG and when the working poor in the 1980's had TV's, cable, and telephones....smartphones didn't exist, but telephone lines were expensive.

Suddenly you are all OK for our standard of living to go BACKWARDS while our GDP goes up! Dont you see a issue with that? Why do you want our country to get worse for people, while the actual total income is going up? Oh because the rich deserve it, not the working folks....
Well if people can't afford the lifestyle duh! I can't afford the houses celebrities can should I started crying I want one and demand someone buy it for me?

Oh that's right, you want people like me to pay for it.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Well if people can't afford the lifestyle duh! I can't afford the houses celebrities can should I started crying I want one and demand someone buy it for me?

Oh that's right, you want people like me to pay for it.
People like you? What exactly do you mean? Last I noticed we were both citizens of this country, and from your comments we both have decent incomes.

Look heres my point, our country is richer then ever, and your argument is that our people deserve to be poorer. The type of country you are arguing for is called a plutocracy.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:02 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
LOL

Over the years, some people have tried to sell me various assets, er, business opportunities/mlm/etc.

Funny how they all spoke of 'taking action' and how taking action always involved a transfer of cash to them.
Oh.....anytime someone is going to "make money for you".....run.....the only one making money will be them.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:24 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
People like you? What exactly do you mean? Last I noticed we were both citizens of this country, and from your comments we both have decent incomes.

Look heres my point, our country is richer then ever, and your argument is that our people deserve to be poorer. The type of country you are arguing for is called a plutocracy.
If all people want to do is cry and blame others, how can anyone expect that to work? They made choices in their lives, I had nothing to do with their choices. Do they think the solution is to cry and moan and expect government to take from people to give to them and then call that fair. BS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies