Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can someone of a completely different race be of your same culture?
Yes, and I know of such people 49 79.03%
Yes in theory, but I've never met such a person 3 4.84%
No 8 12.90%
I don't know 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:07 AM

938 posts, read 1,515,379 times

Advertisements

And if so, would you see them as one of your kind?

Or do you think that innate genetic traits of their race would color their views, tastes, and personality, and make it impossible for them to be like you.

Or perhaps in theory they could be one of your kind, but most people of your culture would not accept them and these identity issues would set them apart from everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 11:15 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
And if so, would you see them as one of your kind?

Or do you think that innate genetic traits of their race would color their views, tastes, and personality, and make it impossible for them to be like you.

Or perhaps in theory they could be one of your kind, but most people of your culture would not accept them and these identity issues would set them apart from everyone else.
Here is another way to answer your question.

Is it possible people who share the same race can have a different culture?

If you look at the world the answer to the question is obvious.

And since people of the same race can have different cultures than clearly people of different races can have the same culture. Because culture has nothing to do with skin color

Old 06-05-2014, 12:35 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
I thought all Americans were part of the same culture. That's what people here tell me when I call myself African American.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:44 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Well, you can definitely have similar values depending on socioeconomic status. But culture? IMO, no. Especially as it relates to white vs minority relationships.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:47 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Sure.....there are many black Hispanics.

If you want to call Hispanic a race......I don't.....opinions vary.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:57 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Sure.....there are many black Hispanics.

If you want to call Hispanic a race......I don't.....opinions vary.
I think if you flipped this you would be right on point.

Is it possible for someone of a different race to have the same culture?

Sure. A Black Puerto Rican and a White Puerto Rican from the same town have pretty much the same culture. Same town, same country, different races.

A Black Canadian whose family has been in the same area of Canada for hundreds of years - say, Nova Scotia - would also most likely have the same culture as a White Canadian from the same town in Nova Scotia.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:59 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I think if you flipped this you would be right on point.

Is it possible for someone of a different race to have the same culture?

Sure. A Black Puerto Rican and a White Puerto Rican from the same town have pretty much the same culture. Same town, same country, different races.

A Black Canadian whose family has been in the same area of Canada for hundreds of years - say, Nova Scotia - would also most likely have the same culture as a White Canadian from the same town in Nova Scotia.
Ya......good....that works too....

Old 06-05-2014, 01:07 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Absolutely, I know white families who have adopted children from Asia and Africa and they are more in line with American culture then I am. Im white with a Chinese wife and we live with her parents. Im not Chinese culturally, but feel like im somewhere in between.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:12 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Of course. when I was active duty military many years ago, I knew many guys of different races that were just "ordinary folks". I also knew many guys of different races who gloried in their difference, and made sure that everyone knew that they were different in every way. They didn't have many friends outside of their little clique.
I wonder why?

Old 06-05-2014, 01:13 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Um this is the USA. We all share in the same culture. The divides people complain about on here are very minute compared to a culture of any other country on this planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies