Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 08:59 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

And the death toll grows:

One Dead, Three Wounded at Seattle Pacific University - NBC News

Old 06-05-2014, 09:04 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Son of Abortion Doc Gosnell Shot While Robbing College Student's Home: Police | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Old 06-05-2014, 09:05 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

You agree to limits on your first ammendment rights and I"ll agree to limits on my second ammendment rights. You go first

Old 06-05-2014, 09:33 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Countryboy View Post
It seems to me that guns aren't the problem, but a symptom. Where I'm from, everybody has guns (not assault weapons mind you) and nobody goes shooting up places.

I dunno, they aren't really the problem or a symptom, just a tool.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:42 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Well we do live in a gun culture where guns are treated like toys that can do no harm. Though I am not sure what the lack of gun safety in this country has to do with this act of violence yet because it is still too early to tell.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:47 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:

Chalk another one up to the 2nd amendment being infringed.

Had those 4 been armed and those around them, too....

The perp would have had second thoughts.
Picked an easier target where guns are not allowed.
Been taken out after the first round was fired.
Wait for the cops with guns to show up.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Chalk another one up to the 2nd amendment being infringed.

Had those 4 been armed and those around them, too....

The perp would have had second thoughts.
Picked an easier target where guns are not allowed.
Been taken out after the first round was fired.
Wait for the cops with guns to show up.
I doubt it, it is easier to claim that people won't attack if you are armed, but that never stops someone from committing crimes. Granted I am sure you wish it was still the Wild West where we carried our pistons on our sides so we can be ready for some gun slinging at a moments notice.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:55 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Perhaps if the following wasn't on the list of prohibited behaviors at Seattle Pacific University this incident would have ended with the perpetrator being the only one killed.
Quote:
13. Possession, use or display on University property of any firearms, weapons, fireworks, live ammunition, incendiary devices, or other items that are potentially hazardous to members of the campus community.
When are people going to realize that gun free zones provide a false sense of security while ensuring that an individual determined to do harm to others will have the maximum time available to do so?

Old 06-05-2014, 09:58 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I doubt it, it is easier to claim that people won't attack if you are armed, but that never stops someone from committing crimes. Granted I am sure you wish it was still the Wild West where we carried our pistons on our sides so we can be ready for some gun slinging at a moments notice.
Personally, I wish that you and others who wish to infringe upon the Bill of Rights would realize that a sign won't stop a person determined to do violence. With more than double the number of annual school shootings as there were before the GFZA was passed, there is plenty of evidence that it doesn't work.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Personally, I wish that you and others who wish to infringe upon the Bill of Rights would realize that a sign won't stop a person determined to do violence. With more than double the number of annual school shootings as there were before the GFZA was passed, there is plenty of evidence that it doesn't work.
Who said I want to infringe on your rights? Though I do think we have a gun culture that treats guns like harmless toys, and is easy for anyone to get a gun without a thorough background check that is univeral. We also do a poor job identifying mental issues in this country which makes it easier for those who are unstable to get their hands on a gun.

Also, you wanting to carry your gun around at all times also won't stop violence, it is just a false sense of security, just like a sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies