Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:32 AM

630 posts, read 1,265,572 times

Advertisements

I know not all conservatives watch Fox News or even like it, but many obviously do since it's the number one cable news network and it's rightward lean is hard to ignore.

My question to self described conservative viewers is, how often do you watch Fox News, and do you think the programs you watch have changed your views on government and politics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 11:59 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
I know not all conservatives watch Fox News or even like it, but many obviously do since it's the number one cable news network and it's rightward lean is hard to ignore.

My question to self described conservative viewers is, how often do you watch Fox News, and do you think the programs you watch have changed your views on government and politics?
Fox news was altered to reflect our perceptions

Old 06-06-2014, 12:21 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
Fox News isn't watched to learn something new to challenge your perceptions, Fox News is watched to reaffirm your perceptions.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:25 PM

594 posts, read 346,302 times
Quote:

Short answer, no.

Longer answer, I do see the positions taken by the liberals on Fox News, besides the libs claiming that Fox is nothing but conservatives. While sometimes the libs on Fox do offer a valid point and prompt me to reevaluate my position, no news program can change a person's views, all they might do is offer more information for us to make a more educated stand on the issues.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Turn the question the other way: has MSNBC or CNN influenced Democrats? I think most of us enjoy watching programs that share our views. I know I certainly do, but I also enjoy watching FOX because the do have a cross section of contributors? Juan Williams, Kirsten Powers, Geraldo Riviera, Bob Beckel, Alan Colmes, and Evan Bayh for starters. We all know they the network leans right, but they are the only one I can think of that really does have a decent mixture. Has the network influenced my thinking? Nope, in fact some of the regulars really **** me off, but I make up my own mind. I would like to think most people do, this isn't always the case.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Turn the question the other way: has MSNBC or CNN influenced Democrats? I think most of us enjoy watching programs that share our views. I know I certainly do, but I also enjoy watching FOX because the do have a cross section of contributors? Juan Williams, Kirsten Powers, Geraldo Riviera, Bob Beckel, Alan Colmes, and Evan Bayh for starters. We all know they the network leans right, but they are the only one I can think of that really does have a decent mixture. Has the network influenced my thinking? Nope, in fact some of the regulars really **** me off, but I make up my own mind. I would like to think most people do, this isn't always the case.
CNN aint liberal, it just reports whichever the wind is blowing. The folks at MSNBC are a bunch of corporate shills pretending to be progressives.

By nature, major news orgs can't ever be truly progressive since economic progressivism seeks to diminish the power of corporations, which goes against the major corporations that own most media in this country. At least Fox News doesn't try to hide the fact that they love unbridled capitalism as Sean Hannity scares you about the impending economic collapse right before they air commercials for gold investments.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,565 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know I certainly do, but I also enjoy watching FOX because the do have a cross section of contributors? Juan Williams, Kirsten Powers, Geraldo Riviera, Bob Beckel, Alan Colmes, and Evan Bayh for starters. We all know they the network leans right, but they are the only one I can think of that really does have a decent mixture.

I do wish we could all stop bickering long enough to have a decent discussion about What a decent mixture actually is.

in the few times i watch FOX news and see some of these people on, the majority of these people sit back and agree with the conservative host.

i doesnt matter if you have Juan Williams on as the "Liberal" if all he does is sit back and agree with the host. Bob Beckel just babbles as if he cant get the words to come out right.

Geraldo Riviera is a republican, not sure why he is on your list.

Evan Bayh is a Conservative Democrat and probably to the right of some of the Host on the show.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
CNN aint liberal, it just reports whichever the wind is blowing. The folks at MSNBC are a bunch of corporate shills pretending to be progressives.

By nature, major news orgs can't ever be truly progressive since economic progressivism seeks to diminish the power of corporations, which goes against the major corporations that own most media in this country. At least Fox News doesn't try to hide the fact that they love unbridled capitalism as Sean Hannity scares you about the impending economic collapse right before they air commercials for gold investments.
Except for think Hannity is good looking I don't see anything else to really like about him; as for his "world collapsing: theory, the only people who are buying it are the ones buying the Gold as well.

But you do have to admit, people like Juan Williams who is rarely agreeing with the host is liberal and not ashamed to admit Geraldo is a registered Republican, but he also admits to being left of middle. I guess it is like Chris Wallace, he is a Democrat, so is Greta but they are both to the right of middle. And Chris is probably one of the best interviewers I have ever seen. He got his talent from his dad.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:54 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
I actually see less of a "rightward lean" at Fox and more of a "government accountability" lean. Is there anything wrong with that?

Old 06-06-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I do wish we could all stop bickering long enough to have a decent discussion about What a decent mixture actually is.

in the few times i watch FOX news and see some of these people on, the majority of these people sit back and agree with the conservative host.

i doesnt matter if you have Juan Williams on as the "Liberal" if all he does is sit back and agree with the host. Bob Beckel just babbles as if he cant get the words to come out right.

Geraldo Riviera is a republican, not sure why he is on your list.

Evan Bayh is a Conservative Democrat and probably to the right of some of the Host on the show.
It's almost as if Fox News actively seeks out the worst stereotypes of liberals in order to make their conservative heroes look good by comparison.

If you want a real "fair and balanced" discussion invite smart, engaging people like Jon Stewart, Rachel Maddow, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Ezra Klein or Nate Silver. Then maybe I'll agree that Fox News entertains both sides of the debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies