Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:46 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times

Advertisements

Or not.

Business economists expect strong growth rebound : Business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 02:07 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
"Obamacare is a job killer" was always a steaming pile of horse manure.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:09 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Oh yeah, everyone can work in the medical field. Even those who's ONLY skills are sitting on a porch sucking down a forty or flipping burgers.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:14 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
"Obamacare is a job killer" was always a steaming pile of horse manure.
I've been pretty active in keeping up with the affairs of the ACA and I don't recall a major concerted proclamation by mainstream conservatives that ACA would be a "job killer." Perhaps you can show me what I missed.

PS.....If this is literally the extent to which the GOP can be considered to have called ACA a job killer, then you folks are literally crying over nothing.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/02/gop...opper-again-2/
  • Quote:
    • Five ads by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce attack Democrats by repeating the “Obamacare will kill jobs” refrain.
    • Seven other Chamber spots praise Republicans, using the same theme.
    • An ad from the group Freedom Path, supporting Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch, says the law is “devastating to small business.”
    • Republican Rep. Jo Bonner of Alabama features a large stack of papers he claims are “job-killing regulations and taxes” in one of his spots.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:17 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've been pretty active in keeping up with the affairs of the ACA and I don't recall a major concerted proclamation by mainstream conservatives that ACA would be a "job killer." Perhaps you can show me what I missed.
So you have been living under a rock?

My goodness... the last 5 years have been all about Obamacare being a "job killer."

Old 06-09-2014, 02:18 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,778 times
The claims of killing jobs became ridiculous when I heard there were jobs being killed even before any of the exchanges were going into effect. Hell, there were reports of jobs about to be lost long before it went into effect. That small employers (<50 people) were laying off employees, even with enough demand to keep them employed, because the exchanges were going into effect 2 years later...while the ACA didn't effect small employers of less then 50 people.

So far we have as many jobs as there were before the credit crunch. That's killing jobs?

Maybe they can start complaining about keeping government out of their Medicare again

Old 06-09-2014, 02:20 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
So you have been living under a rock?

My goodness... the last 5 years have been all about Obamacare being a "job killer."

Mitch McConnell.
No, i've been reading data. Where rhetoric and data don't match up, I always go for the data. And when anyone, conservatives included, spout unsubstantiated rhetoric I tune out.

But in totality, I have not heard what could be considered a nationwide rally-cry against ACA for "job killing" reasons. Some overblown rhetoric? Of course. But none of it ever got traction. Sounds like liberals took the rhetoric more to heart than conservatives.

Furthermore, a net increase in jobs does not mean ACA was not a job killer.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:39 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Good economic news always gets our conservative friends upset. I wonder why that is?

Old 06-09-2014, 02:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
The healthcare industry was creating about 25K jobs per month (BLS) before ACA passed.
In the past 50 months since ACA was passed 982,000 healthcare jobs got created.
That comes out to 19.6K jobs per month.

So, no Obamacare did not create 1 million "new" jobs because those jobs were already being created with an aging population.

Since Obamacare Passed 50 Months Ago, Healthcare Has Gained Almost 1 Million Jobs - Forbes

Old 06-09-2014, 03:10 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,636,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
No, i've been reading data. Where rhetoric and data don't match up, I always go for the data. And when anyone, conservatives included, spout unsubstantiated rhetoric I tune out.
Except when it comes to climate change... and the economy... and whatever other hysterical spew that comes down the right-wing pipeline.

You're either lying through your teeth or you need to do some serious self-examination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies