Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:20 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I am a law abiding citizen as best as I can be. I am also pretty tolerant of human mistakes, of which I naturally make. So while I too let things go that are simple mistakes, I no longer consider using ones smartphone and moving around an mistake/excuse.!

Driving while texting or playing games could end innocent lives in the blink of an eye. A relative of mine was hit by a woman texting and driving and has multiple injuries as a result.
A friends husband was killed by a young social media addict a couple of years ago while he was a pedestrian. She was suspected of being on her phone as the reason she swerved and hit him, but it was not illegal back then so it was never investigated.
BTW - This little ***** got off with little more than a slap on the wrist despite a horrible driving record, killing another human being, and leaving the scene of the accident. He laid on the side of the road for close to an hour before someone saw him and called rescue, and he died on the operating table. Had she stopped and called rescue from the start he might have survived. Instead she drove home to mommy, and they called their lawyer and all went back to the scene of the crime after he was airlifted. They also did not have a blood test done because she left the scene or some such nonsense. Aside from the horror she inflicted on the guy, his wife and children were left without a husband & father. Then she showed what a miserable piece of crap she was by getting on her Facebook page the NEXT DAY and posting pictures of her partying.
She took it down after a couple of days, probably because the lawyer told her to.
So when I see these mindless zombies on their phones while driving or walking around, I carry that anger and disgust with me. When these fools start to get hurt, maybe they will learn a lesson that does not seem to get through otherwise.

It use to be that drivers swerving on the road were late night early morning phenomenon with drunks and druggies behind the wheel. So you could avoid the danger by getting in earlier at night before they hit the roads.
Now days it is happening bright and early, and all throughout the day.

As to what will happen to a fool who is on his phone and bumps into me? Rest assured it will not be a good result for the idiot responsible. I wont say what will happen because so far I have avoided it typically by calling out and saying "watch were you are going idiot". This has worked all but once in an airport. The guy essentially was coming off an escalator and when he bumped into me(more like crashed because he was totally oblivious and in a hurry, he lost his balance. He started to mouth off until I lit into him, then he had the smarts to walk away.
I'm a big guy, so just bumping into me without me giving way will cause enough of a situation that I might not need to worry about what to do beyond that. My comment is more along the lines of what would happen if the fool dared to try and start something after they were at fault in the first place.

I think everyone should start to verbally berate and publicly humiliate idiots for their own good. Who knows you may be saving a life if these losers start altering their behavior because of public scorn.

`
Firstly, you need to focus on one topic. No one is saying it is okay to text and drive.

For the bold, if someone so much as said one antagonizing comment to me after I accidentally bumped into them I would look at them as if they were a complete psychopath. If they continued to display psychopathic behavior I would call the police on them promptly as they are a threat to the public's health.

If you cannot control your absurd outbursts then I highly suggest you stay inside away from people. You aren't going to make any type of point. You will land yourself in jail. And if you are as big and menacing in real life as you claim to be behind the safety of your keyboard, you will probably be tasered.

And I don't believe the story about your friend. Show me a news link. Surely a drama such as that would be promptly recorded by at the very least local news stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 03:40 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Bravo and +1. Sorry for the loss of your friend's husband.
Thanks for your kind words and support on this issue.

Unfortunately my next reply will not be a pleasant one by comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post

And if you are as big and menacing in real life as you claim to be behind the safety of your keyboard

And I don't believe the story about your friend. Show me a news link. Surely a drama such as that would be promptly recorded by at the very least local news stations.
Instead of getting mad, I actually pity someone like you after reading your reply. Presumably you suspect other people lie or exaggerate on forums because you might, so you assume they might as well. Or maybe you think they lie because it can be fairly anonymous. I would wonder why someone would lie on a public forum as what purpose would it serve? If you are pretending to be someone you are not, how does that stroke ones ego unles you are a loon?

Frankly you sound like a person who I have no interest in trying to convince that I am telling the truth or not.
I'm 6'7" 245lbs whether you choose to believe it or not, and my friends husband was killed by the little ***** who showed no remorse whatsoever.
I will provide this link so his name and story will not go completely unnoticed, but not to prove anything to you.

http://www.spiritoflifemidwifery.com/announcements/in-memory-of-karl-arvidsson

Maybe you might choose to google his name and find out more about what tragically happened to him. I was friends with his wife, but the few times I met him, it was clear he was a decent human being who loved his family and had his whole life ahead of him until this little scumbag ended it.

I'm sure some people would say it was an accident, but if you get behind the wheel and are drunk, high, or distracted by the phone, you should be held accountable for your deliberate actions which result in other peoples misery!

Old 06-11-2014, 03:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBoo View Post
I prefer these new zombies looking at their pixelated heroin than those back in the day on heroin.

Just ignore them. The fake life lived within the virtual world gives them all the self-esteem they'll ever need so let them walk into traffic and remember that nature will bring things back into balance.
Trouble they both look like they are on something and on the cell; LOL.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:49 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times

Want to bet these girls are texting each other?

BTW, lawyers are experiencing a windfall from all the injuries caused by texting. It's the new drunken stupor.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:53 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Thumbs down *

I saw someone today ON A RAINY DAY typing a text message WHILE THEY WERE DRIVING!!!!

Gimme a break!!!!!!!

Old 06-11-2014, 03:56 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
First world problems. Why does this bother people so much?

Old 06-11-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I saw someone today ON A RAINY DAY typing a text message WHILE THEY WERE DRIVING!!!!

Gimme a break!!!!!!!
The internet has inhibited our ability to socialize person to person, and now smart phones are supressing our ability to converse... which if you think about it, is really quite stupid.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:00 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
People in poor developing countries talk just as much on cellphones as well. I was just in Hanoi, Vietnam, everyone was driving a motor scooter or motorbike talking on cellphones(while they drive) all day long... You think pedestrians talking on cellphones is bad--try dealing with thousands of Vietnamese people driving at high speeds down narrow streets built hundreds of years ago...

Old 06-11-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
People in poor developing countries talk just as much on cellphones as well. I was just in Hanoi, Vietnam, everyone was driving a motor scooter or motorbike talking on cellphones(while they drive) all day long... You think pedestrians talking on cellphones is bad--try dealing with thousands of Vietnamese people driving at high speeds down narrow streets built hundreds of years ago...
That is horrendously scary considering Asian countries have been the most dangerous to drive in for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Please! Most "third world" countries have higher connectivity rates than the US, and for less. This is far from being first-world phenomena.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:27 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
That is horrendously scary considering Asian countries have been the most dangerous to drive in for decades.
Hanoi is the craziest place I've ever been in my life to just cross the street or just walk down the street(and I've been to other places in Asia and Latin America). There's literally no traffic signals(and the ones there are no one obeys, no sidewalks(they're all filled with parked scooters and motorbikes), no one would ever in a million years stop to let a pedestrian cross the street--you simply walk a la the video game Frogg-er in between bikes and cars and pray to god everyone swerves around you. And the traffic never lets up--since everyone in Vietnam except the elderly has a cheap scooter these days, people drive everywhere instead of walking--and since they're on scooters to go anywhere all day, they just talk on their cellphones while they drive. It's such an insane mess that foreigners just sort of throw up their hands and laugh after a couple hours of trying to walk around the city(and you see few locals actually walking anywhere at this point so you look out of place). You get used to it after a few days, but it's complete anarchy even compared to some other developing nations I've been to.

Quote:
Please! Most "third world" countries have higher connectivity rates than the US, and for less. This is far from being first-world phenomena.
Yeah, it's really not true in this day and age--and actually Vietnam had way better free-wifi all over the place than most of the US as well. Cellphones must be cheap there since everyone was talking on them all the time. Just as much as you see in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies