Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 04:17 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i am all about second chances, i think hiring felons for some jobs to give them an income after they get out of prison is a start for them to get back to respectability. that said, my response was one of reality of the situation. but until, as i said before, these people want to be rehabilitated, they wont be. its up to them how they proceed, not me, not the law, not you, not anyone else but them. you cant make an alcoholic stop drinking, and you cant make a crack addict stop doing crack, and you cant stop a criminal crom committing crimes. all that comes from with in the person in question. the best you can do is provide the services to help them quit, but they have to want to quit.
I would not hire one.

I could not have them going into people's homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 04:27 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Im just curious for what reason so many restrictions are put on felons released back into society. If you have been punished and rehabiliated, shouldnt you be treated the same as before? If you cant be trusted with your rights then why be released into the general population?
Historically persons that committed high crimes against the state or persons were deprived of certain rights and privileges of "decent" citizens/subjects of the Crown as a punishment for their acts. Of course throughout Europe at one time you could be hanged for stealing. Indeed GB hung persons from all ages including women and children found guilty of what would be considered felony or even misdemeanor crimes today. What happened to that was judges and others noticed handing out such harsh punishment did nothing to deter crime in a major way. So they turned to *transportation*, that is shipping convicts off to Australia as their sentence. Thus the punishment for violating laws became removal from one's native country and sent to someplace halfway around the world, often never to see England again.

There are two sides to removing certain rights and privileges of felons. Some say the punishment is because they have broken the laws of society in such a major way they cannot ever be trusted again. The removal of certain civil rights and so forth for life is just a just reward that supposedly does not cost the state anything as opposed to say incarceration for life.

OTOH others feel once a person has paid their debt to society via incarceration they should be restored full civil rights and liberties. These persons point out that by constantly reminding felons of their former state you prevent them from leading productive lives and contributing to society. Thus said persons are more likely to reoffend and the cycle begins.

There is also the fact some crimes are considered so wicked (rape, murder, etc... ) that a person can never be trusted to be around *decent* persons again and by virtue of their crimes have forfeit any rights of "decent" persons.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I would not hire one.

I could not have them going into people's homes.
and i dont blame you. but ex cons could be hired to wash dishes, mop floors, bus tables, etc. jobs where they dont handle money, or are in a position to steal, or case a home. i am not saying you should give them the keys to the safe, but there are jobs out there for ex cons to get a start back to respectability if they are willing.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:05 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Im just curious for what reason so many restrictions are put on felons released back into society. If you have been punished and rehabiliated, shouldnt you be treated the same as before? If you cant be trusted with your rights then why be released into the general population?
Not all felonies/felons are violent and not all felons do time.

I think anyone convicted of a non violent felony should be able to petition to have all their rights restored (yes, even 2nd amendment) after a certain amount of time if they can demonstrate that they have become a productive and law abiding citizen.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:25 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
Quote:
How odd that you would put white collar crime in that group.
ok good remark let see

you know that bernie guy that stole billion from investor in the fake retirement plan

that was white collar

so how many people got their life destroyed and not being ever to retire because of the white collar
you think some of them would want the death pendity for a white collar crime.

every felony hurt someone somehow, how does the victim feel.

people did their time. when does the victim time end.

somebody above said all felony should be death sentences . Ok, i could go for that, at least they wouldn't do it twice

Old 06-13-2014, 07:41 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Not violent crime are harmful too.
There's a lot of "felonies" that hurt no one. Cutting a sixteenth of an inch too much off a gun barrel, a person using pot, tax evasion...none hurt anyone. Just "crimes" against control freaks and thieves, but a person who cuts a gun down more than an absurd 1934 law says, to prevent the making of handguns which were going to be banned but weren't by that law, can get a more severe sentence than a pedophile who molested a kid (I recall a 60 day sentence for a child molester here that made national news).

Old 06-13-2014, 08:12 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Because it is not possible to really know if they have been rehabilitated. And nobody wants to take the chance to find out.

[i don't blame them]

Old 06-13-2014, 08:22 PM

601 posts, read 755,981 times
Quote:
IMO, the sad truth? It's because the system is broken - prison doesn't work. It's not rehabilitating anyone, it takes a person who made some mistakes, throws them into a cage, and turns them into a violent, unstable person. Then when their sentence is up, they toss inmates on the street with nothing but the clothes on their back, no support to help them rehabilitate to normal civilization or get a job.

Of course you should be treated with some respect if you've done your time and been rehabilitated...but I think it's safe to say that the system makes most people worse than they were before they got in. The rates of re-offending are so high, our government doesn't bother giving felons their rights back because they know they'll be back in the slammer in a year or two. It's just one broken piece of the entire broken puzzle.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Not all felonies/felons are violent and not all felons do time.

I think anyone convicted of a non violent felony should be able to petition to have all their rights restored (yes, even 2nd amendment) after a certain amount of time if they can demonstrate that they have become a productive and law abiding citizen.
try reading the law sometime, there are legal avenues which all felons can petition the courts to have some of their rights reinstated, including their second amendment rights. they do have to jump through legal hoops, IE filing the proper paperwork, and prove that they have not committed a crime with in a certain period of time after leaving prison, and have generally become a proper member of society again.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:53 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
do you immediately trust people that have broken your trust? lets say your significant other cheated on you, are you going to immediately trust them when they say they wont do it again? it is the same thing when people commit crimes and are convicted of them. they have broken the public trust, and they have to regain that trust. part of regaining that trust is to deal with the consequences of breaking the laws we live by.
Immediately, No, but eventually, very possibly Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies