Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a business owner be able to require English to be spoken in his business?
Yes - It is his business 90 91.84%
No - It is discrimination 7 7.14%
Not sure 1 1.02%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:01 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Where are you getting this from? When the hell did I even imply this? A guy from Germany cant point at the hot dog?
What about all the topping???

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 12-17-2007 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: this is what happens when threads turn into dialogs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 11:06 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Can't a guy from Mexico point at the cheesesteak?
Sure.. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT.. obviously the owner of the store does..

Old 12-17-2007, 11:08 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,869 times
The government needs to stay out of our hotdog business....

Old 12-17-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
The government needs to stay out of our hotdog business....
Now that one we can agree on..

Old 12-17-2007, 09:51 PM

Just seen the owner of the restaurant on tv, he has confirmed that if they do not speak english that he is not denying them service.. they just might not get what they ordered. He is also expecting to lose the case though. (Glenn Beck show 12/17 episode). I feel better that he has confirmed he is not denying service, and I now have no problems with the signs. You guys can all go to sleep now that we agree..

Old 12-17-2007, 10:30 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
With all the hubaloo about the english/foriegn/menu talk going on, I would like to interject a little humour on the situation. This is the tale of a teenage couple. The boy wanted to impress his date as to his expertise at a french restaurant. When the waiter asked for their order, the boy tried his best to pronounce in french an item from the menu. Bet you cannot guess what it was. I will give the answer in tomorrows post. Stefhen

Old 12-17-2007, 10:36 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,994 times
If they have so many people there ordering that can't speak English perhaps that's a good place for an immigration officer to visit. Anytime someone doesn't order in English, ask for their papers.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:21 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Before giving the answer to the teenage couples experience in a french restaurant, I can admit to being one of those people who has pointed at an item on a menu numerous times and consequently feeling like a fool at what I had ordered. Anyway, the young teenage asked for-was it Ecargot noooo, was it Crepre Sussette noooo, was it Salmon Pettie noooo, was it Soufle noooo, maybe French Fries nononono. It was 'NO COVER CHARGE" Bon Apetite, Stefhen

Old 12-18-2007, 11:38 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
In order to take orders in another language, he would have to make sure he had people spoke another langauge at all times on duty AND be required to pay them more money no doubt.

Have we really gotten to the point where the law is going to force businesses to do this?
It's called accommodating your customers. Let's face it. If we Americans could move to another country where there were millions of other Americans and we could get by day to day speaking English, we'd do the same thing. Prior posts were probably right. His sign is probably geared toward Spanish speakers. Then he should hire some. I can go to any fast food establishment in my city and there will be Spanish speaker working there. It's a no-brainer. Marketers are going after the Latino market. It's a huge market and they spend money like the rest of us do. This guy has to roll with the changes. I went to the post office 2 days ago to mail my Christmas cards and there was a woman customer who only spoke Polish and a worker at the post office happened to speak Polish and helped her. We have LOTS of Polish speaking citizens in Chicago and our ATM's machines here are in English, Polish and Spanish...some also have Chinese and Italian. My grandfather who was from Europe lived in the US for over 60 years, worked in a bottling plant and knew very little English. But he worked, owned a 6 unit apartment building and put his kids through college. He hung out with people socially who spoke his language and managed just fine. He came to the US in his 30's, got a job, had kids and went on with his life. Sure, maybe he should have gone to night school to learn English, but he didn't. My own dad started school at 6 and only knew how to say his name, address and very basic things in English. He went on to become an attorney. So let's give some of these people a break. Again, learning a new language as an adult is not easy. It takes diligent practice and many classroom hours. Some people are too busy working the grills, cutting our lawns, cleaning our office buildings and raising families to find the time or energy.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:16 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,715 times
Very well put. And especially a larger city.....I mean come on. I also have family that is literally off the boat....and here legally. My grandparents never quite got the hang of English....my dad, aunts, uncles all made the transition because they were younger. My mother/American forbade anything other then english being taught to us kids. Imagine my surprise when I went out of my all white neighborhood to Europe and found all these people who were not only bilingual, but also trilingual and more. I was embarrassed for our country and our insistence on a LACK of educating oneself. I am now trilingual....English, Polish and Spanish, but it was very hard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies