Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:09 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is already the 5th Pro Sport in the US and people are spending money to watch and attend MLS games, their attendance records are higher than the NBA and NHL right now. Just because you don't follow the sport doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people following MLS.
On TV it doest even compare, how can the Boston Bruins in the Boston Garden (18,200 seats) have an apples to apples comparison with the Revolution who play at Gilette Staduin with 70,000 seats?
Soccer is Americas Fifth sport like Gary Johnson came in 3rd in the 2012 election, technically true, but not even close to the next one up.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
On TV it doest even compare, how can the Boston Bruins in the Boston Garden (18,200 seats) have an apples to apples comparison with the Revolution who play at Gilette Staduin with 70,000 seats?
Soccer is Americas Fifth sport like Gary Johnson came in 3rd in the 2012 election, technically true, but not even close to the next one up.
To be fair, the Sounders can get 40k in Century Link Field which holds about 70k for Seahawk games. However they are the most attended team in the league. The last attended team can get only 9k.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:44 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
we don't watch the superbowl in Europe FYI, mostly because we don't care, but also because it is broadcast in the middle of the night here. And we don't know the rules, we don't know ANY players, we don't know the teams ...
I tried to watch it once but I just couldn't, too many ads, and basically from my perspective and culture there's nothing going on worth watching
Exactly how I feel about soccer except I'm not wasting my time trying to watch it.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:42 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Another poster made this comment below and then there was your comment above about obsessing about Hispanics and yet this isn't a hint of playing the race card? Quote: "because I told him this twice already and it hasn't sunk in; but soccer, baseball, and football are all British sports. But, he doesn't like soccer, and I presume it is because soccer is associated with foreigners, particularly LatAms"

I have never said that it is only Hispanics that enjoy soccer. Reading comprehension is lacking here. What I said is that if it is gaining in popularity it is "mostly" due to immigration. You do know that Hispanics are here both via legal and illegal immigration in the highest numbers, don't you? I suggest you stop twisting my words and hinting that racism is the basis of the facts that I am making.

I actually don't watch much sports, period. I do play and watch golf however. I don't think it will ever surpass the big three in popularity either.
So you have factual information that breaks down the racial categories of MLS fans in this country?

For someone that says you don't watch much sports, you seem to have a lot to say about a league and a sport that you don't know much about. I am more than willing to defend a sport I like, but I have no interest in forcing you to like the sports I like.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
lol soccer won't catch basketball anytime soon. i like soccer and was a really good player and still am but for most, interest in soccer still fizzles out in middle school
Go to a Seattle Sounders vs Portland Timbers, and try to tell me MLS won't be able to hold its own with leagues like NBA and NHL. I am not saying MLS will replace any other league, just that there is a real fan base in the US and the support for the league is actually growing, and MLS is doing a great job nurturing that growth.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
To be fair, the Sounders can get 40k in Century Link Field which holds about 70k for Seahawk games. However they are the most attended team in the league. The last attended team can get only 9k.
Only one team gets an attendance that low, Chivas USA, and they share the field with LA Galaxy that gets some of the highest attendance in the league. The other low attendance team is San Jose and that is because they play on a small field and are currently maxed out. I believe they are getting a larger soccer stadium which will bump their numbers up.

MLS tends to be very good across the board with attendance.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:28 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Only one team gets an attendance that low, Chivas USA, and they share the field with LA Galaxy that gets some of the highest attendance in the league. The other low attendance team is San Jose and that is because they play on a small field and are currently maxed out. I believe they are getting a larger soccer stadium which will bump their numbers up.

MLS tends to be very good across the board with attendance.
MLS on a whole averages just a few hundred more at 18K than NHL does on a whole (17K.) The average MLS stadium (so let's throw out non-soccer specific venues like RFK in DC, Gillett in New England, the San Jose field, BC in Vancouver and Century Link in Seattle) has an attendance of 21K for the 12 remaining stadium (as Chivas and Galaxy share the former Home Depot Center.) The average hockey arena is about 18K or hockey games so percentage wise more fans fill hockey arenas for NHL games than fill soccer stadiums for MLS games. Not trying to be a hater on MLS but, they do not fill their venues as much as hockey does when hockey is not as strong as a number 4 sport as it was a decade/decade and a half ago.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
MLS on a whole averages just a few hundred more at 18K than NHL does on a whole (17K.) The average MLS stadium (so let's throw out non-soccer specific venues like RFK in DC, Gillett in New England, the San Jose field, BC in Vancouver and Century Link in Seattle) has an attendance of 21K for the 12 remaining stadium (as Chivas and Galaxy share the former Home Depot Center.) The average hockey arena is about 18K or hockey games so percentage wise more fans fill hockey arenas for NHL games than fill soccer stadiums for MLS games. Not trying to be a hater on MLS but, they do not fill their venues as much as hockey does when hockey is not as strong as a number 4 sport as it was a decade/decade and a half ago.
Well percentage wise, NHL fills their arenas more that MLB does, that still doesn't change the attendance numbers which is really good for a professional sport. I am not trying to discredit the NHL, just give the MLS the credit they have earned so far and continue to grow with.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:48 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
So you have factual information that breaks down the racial categories of MLS fans in this country?

For someone that says you don't watch much sports, you seem to have a lot to say about a league and a sport that you don't know much about. I am more than willing to defend a sport I like, but I have no interest in forcing you to like the sports I like.
That's like asking me to prove that the sky is blue. It is a well known fact that soccer is most popular among Hispanics. I don't have to play or watch a sport to become informed about it's ethnic popularity. Go ahead and defend your sport but just don't try to convince others that the increased popularity of it isn't mostly due to "immigration" (and I use that word loosely) of millions of Hispanics in our country. I haven't said that it isn't becoming popular with some non-Hispanics but note that it is most popular with the 12-24 age group. Not so much with mature adults.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That's like asking me to prove that the sky is blue. It is a well known fact that soccer is most popular among Hispanics. I don't have to play or watch a sport to become informed about it's ethnic popularity. Go ahead and defend your sport but just don't try to convince others that the increased popularity of it isn't mostly due to "immigration" (and I use that word loosely) of millions of Hispanics in our country. I haven't said that it isn't becoming popular with some non-Hispanics but note that it is most popular with the 12-24 age group. Not so much with mature adults.
Soccer is the most popular sport for most nationalities except for Americans. You assuming that most people going to MLS games are Hispanic isn't based on fact. Heck, have you ever been to an MLS game?

Also, why is it a problem for you if the increase in popularity is due to immigration? Does it bother you when Hispanics are fans of other sports leagues? Or is this just an exclusive to soccer for you?

The 12-24 group does age and it doesn't mean they will stop supporting MLS, that is like saying people in that age group that like other leagues will just stop liking their teams and leagues once they get older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies