Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:03 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,234,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
LOL!! Talk about spin. Yeah, and they just happened to make sure they positioned the president right in front of it while he just happened to be saying things like "Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed." And "Our nation and our coalition are proud of this accomplishment — yet it is you, the members of the United States military, who achieved it.
At it h
What a strange and odd coincidence.
They should have realized what left wing nut jobs would think . The ship crew put up the sign to say the 18 month mission the ship was on had accomplished the mission it was on. No matter how you spin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 08:05 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,886,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
They should have realized what left wing nut jobs would think . The ship crew put up the sign to say the 18 month mission the ship was on had accomplished the mission it was on. No matter how you spin
You're right, they should have realized that putting the president in front of a big banner that says "Mission Accomplished" while he was giving a speech in which he talks about the mission being accomplished might lead some people to think he was actually talking about the mission being accomplished.

Good grief, do you hear yourself?

Old 06-23-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
You're right, they should have realized that putting the president in front of a big banner that says "Mission Accomplished" while he was giving a speech about the mission being accomplished might lead some people to think he was actually talking about the mission being accomplished.

Good grief, do you hear yourself?
The sign ws about the mission of the ship no matter how you spin me lie

Old 06-23-2014, 08:11 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
From Wikipedia:

Abraham Lincoln and the carrier battle group and airwing helped deliver the opening salvos and air strikes in Operation Iraqi Freedom. During her deployment, some 16,500 sorties were flown and 1.6 million pounds of ordnance used. Sea Control Squadron 35 (VS-35), the "Blue Wolves", was instrumental in delivering over 1 million pounds of fuel to these strike aircraft, one of the largest aerial refueling undertakings by a carrier aviation squadron in history. The carrier returned home in May 2003, in the process receiving a visit from President George W. Bush before officially ending Abraham Lincoln's deployment by docking at San Diego before returning to homeport in Everett, WA. Bush stated at the time that this was the end to major combat operations in Iraq. While this statement did coincide with an end to the conventional phase of the war, Bush's assertion—and the sign itself—became controversial after guerrilla warfare in Iraq increased during the Iraqi insurgency. The vast majority of casualties, both military and civilian, have occurred since the speech.[SIZE=2][11][/SIZE] The White House said their services constructed the banner. As explained by Cmdr. Conrad Chun, a Navy spokesman, "The banner was a Navy idea, the ship's idea. The idea popped up in one of the meetings aboard the ship preparing for its homecoming and thought it would be good to have a banner, 'Mission Accomplished.' The sailors then asked if the White House could get the sign made. ... The banner signified the successful completion of the ship's deployment," Cmdr. Chun continued noting that the Abraham Lincoln was deployed 290 days, longer than any other nuclear-powered aircraft carrier in history.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
The sign ws about the mission of the ship no matter how you spin me lie
LOL. So what you're saying is, I will NOT believe he was talking about mission accomplished even though he said that very thing in his speech. And you can't make me!!

Thank you for a great laugh to start my day.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:20 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
Quote:
LOL. So what you're saying is, I will NOT believe he was talking about mission accomplished even though he said that very thing in his speech. And you can't make me!!

I suspect that what the crew meant and what the president thought it meant were two different things.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:

You are free to laugh about the truth of the sign mission accomplished but it still the truth and not the lies you spin

Old 06-23-2014, 08:23 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,219,437 times
I agree with Netanyahu. Let them go ahead and kill each other off. Both sides hate us.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:24 AM

68,347 posts, read 54,470,554 times
Quote:
The mission accomplished sigh was about the ship which had been on station for 18 months and returning home . The ship had accomplished its mission and was returning home . It had a clearly defined mission and it accomplished its mission no matter the spin
And despite posing so proudly in front of that sign Bush had no clearly defined mission for his actions and accomplished nothing.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
You are free to laugh about the truth of the sign mission accomplished but it still the truth and not the lies you spin
And it was just a coincidence that they placed the president squarely in front of the sign? No one took a look at the set up for the speech and said, hey, wait a minute, people might think the president is saying the mission in Iraq was accomplished if we put him in front of this sign?

They knew exactly what they were doing when they framed Bush and the sign in the same shot, especially when that's what his speech was about. It was intentional. They used it as a prop to his speech. It was only when they started getting pushback about it, suddenly framing the president that way was all a big mistake.

Sorry, but most of us aren't quite as gullible as you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies