Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: gun violence: is it a mental health issue or the gun itself that is the problem?
Mental health issue 96 83.48%
The gun itself 16 13.91%
Not sure 3 2.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 04:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
Both. And people who say a gun is just a tool that just sits there...No a gun is made with the intent to kill. Its not made to be a trophy on a wall. Its made to be used or hunting and killing. There is no other use for a gun. And surely if you make them more available then the more they are going to get in the hands of people who are irresponsible and people who are criminals. And don't preach to me about a "law abiding citizen"

Everybody is a law abiding citizen until they do something stupid. All the people who went on a rampage were law abiding citizens at first. If you are a law abiding citizen then you shouldn't have a problem passing a background check.

I don't understand gun nuts.
No, a gun is made with the intent to be purchased and used. But for military weapons I know of no manufacturer who provides them for the purpose of being used to kill other people and even for the military and especially law enforcement, the primary intent for usage is self-preservation and protection of others.

By the way, there are many commemorative weapons produced for the sole purpose of being displayed and never fired. Shooting them lessens their value. Hunting guns are meant to be used for shooting game. Many millions, of people hunt and enjoy both the challenge of it and eating what they shoot.

I guess you've never heard of sport shooting - targets, traps, skeet and many other forms of improving and keeping your shooting skills sharp. It's challenging. In fact, there are also Olympic shooting events. No one and nothing gets killed.

I doubt very much that serious and responsible shooters have any gripes about background checks. I don't and I'm an inveterate target shooter who has also served in the military and was a cop. In the latter occupation, thankfully, I never had to shoot anyone. Came close a few times but managed to talk the situations down.

Using your "reasoning," every person is a potential criminal and might do something stupid. Just wait for it.

I don't understand anti-gun nuts !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 04:47 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Producing, selling, owning, and using guns at the rate as Americans do is the crazy part. We reap what we sow.
Gun violence has gone down....stop taken the leftist pill and do some research on your own....

Old 06-25-2014, 04:51 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You did, Chuck. You said that you subtract the number of suicides to get the "actual deaths".

Some people have very short memories, I guess.
Yes, I did say that, because you are still not able to prove that if a gun was not there, he would still be alive...

I know it's really hard for people such as you to grasp that...but if a person is going to take their life, there are many ways....

So, no, I did not say that....this son you speak of would still be dead, gun or not.... can you comprehend...

Old 06-25-2014, 08:13 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
It's pretty much an established fact that guns do not kill people without somebody pulling the trigger. So how do we keep guns out of the hands of unstable people? 2nd amendment fanatics don't seem to want any restrictions as to who can purchase guns.
All over the internet we see people doing real stupid stuff, injuring them selves with idiotic stunts. Lets start with those people as far as not allowing them guns. They may not be criminals and they may not have a hateful bone in their body but they are real stupid and they should not have guns.

Lets just start by keeping guns out of the hands of stupid people.
It isn't just guns that are dangerous in the hands of unstable people. Plenty of other objects can be used to kill, as has been pointed out countless times. The dangerous thing...is the unstable people, not inanimate objects. So, what do you propose we do with unstable people to eliminate the possibility of them hurting or killing innocent people?

Old 06-26-2014, 05:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
After confiscating our guns they will start banning long bows, crossbows, arrows, knives, stones, clubs, fists and all martial arts. At which point we will not only cease to be free citizens we will cease to be human. I do not want the US, as has been done in Britain and other countries, to become a collection of drones that cannot defend themselves from criminals and/or the government. IMHO - that is far too dangerous a way to exist.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:28 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
"Many people buy guns and don't use them"

What kind of argument??????????????

The whole reason we are having this discussion is because people ARE using them...if more people weren't using them then we wouldn't be talking about this.
"What kind of argument??????????????' My mistake, I thought adults were involved in this discussion NOT arguing.

What part of people by guns for SELF DEFENSE usually in their home and NEVER FIRE A SHOT, don't you understand?

Old 06-26-2014, 04:55 PM

834 posts, read 1,218,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Gun violence has gone down....stop taken the leftist pill and do some research on your own....

I am as conservative as one can be. And I would restrict gun possession by all means possible.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:57 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
I am as conservative as one can be. And I would restrict gun possession by all means possible.
Then you are not conservative. Not even a little bit.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:59 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Then you are not conservative. Not even a little bit.
BOOM Shacka-Lacka! +1

Old 06-27-2014, 05:14 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Like little acorn said, you aren't Conservative then. Maybe you're a RINO.

That'd be like me saying, I'm as liberal as can be, but I'm against gay marriage.

Doesn't compute.

Cognitive dissonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
In psychology, cognitive dissonance is the excessive mental stress and discomfort
experienced by an individual who (1) holds two or more contradictory beliefs,
ideas, or values at the same time or (2) is confronted by new information that
conflicts with existing beliefs, ideas, or values. This stress and discomfort
may also arise within an individual who holds a belief and performs a
contradictory action or reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies