Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 01:11 PM

73,081 posts, read 62,717,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Provide a link that proves conservatives are all old white men. Liberals love to throw that erroneous soundbite out.
I never said all conservatives were old White men. You are the one making assumptions.

1) You assumed that I was a liberal
2) You assumed that I believe that all conservatives are old White men
3) I wasn't even talking about you. I was talking about someone else who called liberalism a mental illness. I asked him to show me medical proof. No one has come up with it.

Something else. What you did was the equivalent of answering a question with a question. That shows evasiveness. That shows an unwillingness to just give a straight answer. And furthermore, you calling me asking for proof as an "erroneous sound bite" shows a lack of critical thinking, as well as cowardice.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:22 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,440,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
S&F in NYC was a Guliani era thing and it likely contributed to the reduced gun homicides of that time.

It led to perceptions of profiling and abuse of privlege.

When someone chooses to dress like a thug and congregates with others who do the same they tend to get harassed more than those who make different choices about their attire, relationships and street behaviors. Having said this I suspect that those who make different choices are more likely to be harassed by their peers who embrace thug like personas.
I doubt it, I lived in the South Bronx and was never S&F. The cops generally have a good idea who the neighborhood knuckleheads are and react accordingly. Of course some unaffiliated people are caught up too but I think in the main it was a good strategy.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:30 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,151,645 times
Does anyone ever stop to consider the total population of NYC?

Im not sure that 23 out of MILLIONS is an unreasonable number. Seriously.

Sure, if I live in a city or town with say, 100K or less in population, I might find the 23 murders to be a gobb-smacking statistic.

Think about this one:

40% of all traffic accidents are caused by people driving under the influence.

Doesn't that also indicate that 60% of all traffic accidents are cause by people who are not DUI?

P.S.

Guns ARE ILLEGAL in NYC.

Perhaps that is the precursor to every 'cool kid' wanting to play with one in NYC - if its illegal, its cool to do? *shrugs*

Old 07-03-2014, 04:32 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,385,244 times
It has nothing to do with gun control. This is normal. The reason for the hike in violence, is because school is out, and people are mingling more often. In my area, around the end of summer, I can hear gunfire the most in the distance. Not the good kind of gunfire.

Another thing to consider. We have a bunch of ex-military who are out of service, and have barely any legal jobs to go back to. Then is the rap music ( yes I blame that ), with the promotion of negativity. This is nothing new. If anything gun violence is up because of all the talk of guns, and because people are doing on purpose.

We have so much media on Youtube that should be censored as well. Bottom-line violent people are being hired to do jobs, and in store people are not doing anything about the problem. It is like they pair up, people not to get along. It is not even funny at all.

It has nothing to do with Obama, Have you not heard the summer of love?

Bush could have spent 800 billion dollars invading NYC, and Chicago

Old 07-03-2014, 04:35 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,558,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Hmm...

liberal city ...check....

liberal victim....check....

liberal offender...check...

Nothing else to see here.
I forgot we are liberals and conservatives first, and not Americans.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:36 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,610,366 times
23 isn't a huge number for the size and population of NYC though. Things will just get worse when more gun laws take effect. Once law abiding people will soon look for black market products due to gun bans. The black market will boom and sell to anyone regardless of criminal history.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:04 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,253,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is different, that falls under State Rights. A state is able to do whatever a state wants as long as it doesn't violate federal laws. There is nothing that says states can't used tax dollars for abortions.

If you don't like that, create a petition that bans the use of state tax dollars for abortions.
The FEDERAL COURTS tell us that we can't do that!!!!

Old 07-03-2014, 05:05 PM

46,326 posts, read 27,162,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I forgot we are liberals and conservatives first, and not Americans.
You have been on CD now for awhile......do you say this in other threads?

If so, please provide that thread....

Old 07-03-2014, 06:35 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,558,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You have been on CD now for awhile......do you say this in other threads?

If so, please provide that thread....
What? Do you believe that we should identify ourselves by party and not by nationality?

I don't throw political ideologies under the bus for partisan points.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:23 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,697,867 times
The overwhelming number one factor in crime rates is race, not political party affiliation. Wherever you find large numbers of blacks, you are almost guaranteed to find high crime rates. I'm sure that most of you know in your gut that this is true, but you don't want to be accused of being a racist, so you turn it into a political argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies