Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think The Iraqis Were Better-Off Under Saddam?
Strongly agree 10 14.71%
Somewhat agree 22 32.35%
Disagree 9 13.24%
Strongly disagree 27 39.71%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:00 PM

129 posts, read 84,082 times

Advertisements

They seem to think so. 90% of them according to a poll conducted among Iraqi civilians earlier this year. http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/view/14282

A majority of Americans cling to the infantile notion that our One-Size-Fits-All Capitalistic Democracy can be easily exported to work in any other environment. Even if it takes a little coercing to help freedom take root. Or maybe especially when it needs a little arm twisting?. I guess we must love the challenge. But we ignore that the cultures we impose our systems upon have no similar democratic traditions to ours and have instead developed other unique and creative ways to acheive balanced and workable societies.

In the case or Iraq, Saddam seemed to have a lid on things. He kept a rough peace among Shias & Sunnis. He provided a governmental administration, offered public services, financed & maintained public infrastructures, had at least some kind of health care and education systems. Iraq funcioned, lived, worked and played in relative prosperity.

Considering the mayhem we now know we've created in Iraq, together with the destruction of infrastructure, the lack of services & utilities plus the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians killed or wounded;

Do you think the Iraqis were better off under Saddam?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 08:08 PM

68,349 posts, read 54,484,569 times
I think the US was better off before we spent so much blood and $$$ to depose Saddam with little benefit to the US, that's the only way I can vote.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think the US was better off before we spent so much blood and $$$ to depose Saddam with little benefit to the US, that's the only way I can vote.
Lol. Sounds like a 'somewhat agree' to me.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,191,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMc View Post
Considering the mayhem we now know we've created in Iraq, together with the destruction of infrastructure, the lack of services & utilities plus the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians killed or wounded;

Do you think the Iraqis were better off under Saddam?.
The only part of this that I'm planning to debate at the moment, (because the rest I think its to early to discuss until we leave.

The lack of services and utilities? Prior to our invasion, most of Iraq had electricity only 3-6 hours a day (with the exception of bagdad). Its hard to blame us for the destruction of their infrastrusture and lack of services & utilities when they had none before our invasion.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:29 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,801,338 times
Could be in part due to the embargo?

And on the other hand we could indeed be justifiably blamed for the destruction of their medical infrastructure and the flight of most of their doctors and nurses out of the country leading to a rapid increase in infant mortality, among other things. To be fair.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,191,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Could be in part due to the embargo?

And on the other hand we could indeed be justifiably blamed for the destruction of their medical infrastructure and the flight of most of their doctors and nurses out of the country leading to a rapid increase in infant mortality, among other things. To be fair.
Quite possibly due to the embargo, not sure, but surely it wasnt due to a lack of oil.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:37 PM

15,877 posts, read 21,475,194 times
People weren't dying in the streets with Saddam. Of course he was a horrible person and did horrible things to his people. However, under Saddam, people could go to the local market and not worry about a suicide bomber or insurgency killing them before they got back. Parents could send their kids to school and they knew to some degree that they would be ok. Not so now.

Not to mention that there seems to be a growing discontent among the Iraqi people about the US military presence. My friends in the military who have served multiple tours say they think it's getting worse, and it looks like the polling proves that to be true.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:38 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,136,631 times
I wish you had added "I don't know."

I don't think we've improved matters in Iraq; folks are fleeing, many are dead, services are insufficient or non-existent, but better under Saddam. I don't know how Iraqis felt under Saddam to make an informed response to that question.

His regime was uneven to say the least and he had his preferences. The hostility between the Sunni and Shia is not new, but has shifted.

I have only empathy and sympathy for the Iraqi people.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I wish you had added "I don't know."

I don't think we've improved matters in Iraq; folks are fleeing, many are dead, services are insufficient or non-existent, but better under Saddam. I don't know how Iraqis felt under Saddam to make an informed response to that question.

His regime was uneven to say the least and he had his preferences. The hostility between the Sunni and Shia is not new, but has shifted.

I have only empathy and sympathy for the Iraqi people.
Lol. Sounds again like another "somewhat agree", if you don't think we've improved matters in Iraq.

Which is why I purposely chose not to include the 'I don't know' option. It would make it too easy for people to wiggle-out of giving a sincere opinion.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:07 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,616,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I do agree with this statement. But, to answer the OP's question, and as someone who dated a man who's family escaped from Iraq under Saddam, I would say ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Many of his family members died horrendous deaths for nothing.

Try watching a family, who are thousands of miles away from Iraq, jump from a knock on the door, a telphone ringing, and fear for their life on a daily basis, even knowing that he can't get to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies