Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:48 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times

Advertisements

No way a lawyer would want a college student on a jury for most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 08:24 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Default Please serve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
SWB, why not do research to see what type of case(s) you are going to go before? If it's a simple case that's just been appealed, it might actually do you some good to do this. Check the docket - they are public knowledge.
Please, please ignore that advice! Our jury system is based on the jury mulling over the evidence which is submitted in court. If you do that type of thing while you are on the jury you may be found in contempt of court and the judge will surely declare a mistrial. Before a trial, every defendant (even in civil matters) is not guilty. Don't go looking into the case!

As to the pay, what kind of folks do you think the courts get for $17 a day? They get the halt and the lame. Basically, retired folks and others who view that amount of money as a plus. The jury system is based on people having a good level of understanding (and on EVERYONE serving) so college students need to be included in the pool. As you are an intelligent person I would respectfully ask you to do this volunteer duty for the good of your community.

Finally, professional juries are only in existence, to my knowledge, in Japan. We have a jury of one's peers in this country and having professionals would be unconstitutional.

Sorry I went on so long. I'm a lawyer and I would love a college student on a jury.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:46 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
How about this? In order to get a jury trial, one has to have served jury duty? We all can come up excuses as to why serving jury isn't convenient for us at any given time to...small kids at home, school, work, etc. Some people have valid reasons why they can't serve on a jury. Like they're in the hospital. Or they're attending a wake and funeral of a family member, etc. Many of us take our judicial system for granted. Sure, it's not perfect, but there are places in this world that don't provide its citizens with jury trials. Many people have died in wars for our freedoms and in my opinion, we should gladly serve as jurors.
There are very few excuses accepted.

Sometime there are 3-4 trials to be chosen for.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 12-19-2007 at 09:04 AM..

Old 12-19-2007, 08:56 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
If you want to be dismissed from a jury onto which you have been empaneled (there is a good chance you will show up and simply not be empaneled at all, but rather dismissed), say something subtly prejudiced during the 'voir dire' process of jury selection. For example, if the defendant doesn't speak English, and the defense attorney asks you if you would have any trouble giving a fair hearing to such a person, respond "well, let me think about that," followed by a pregnant pause, followed by an "okay, sure, why not?"

Bam! You are off that jury, without actually having lied or done anything untoward.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:00 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
If you want to be dismissed from a jury onto which you have been empaneled (there is a good chance you will show up and simply not be empaneled at all, but rather dismissed), say something subtly prejudiced during the 'voir dire' process of jury selection. For example, if the defendant doesn't speak English, and the defense attorney asks you if you would have any trouble giving a fair hearing to such a person, respond "well, let me think about that," followed by a pregnant pause, followed by an "okay, sure, why not?"

Bam! You are off that jury, without actually having lied or done anything untoward.
Don't do this. Be honest. In many cases the trial will last no more than a day.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:03 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
It should only be done if the person absolutely cannot serve on a jury. Jury duty is one of those civic obligations you ought to carry out, in any case.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:04 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Serving on a jury is no different than voting, it is the civic duty of every US citizen. I have been summoned twice for jury duty. The first time I was not selected. The second time I was selected to serve on a jury and the trial lasted one day. In both cases I lost several hundred dollars and had to explain to my clients about the delay. Serving on a jury is a hardship for everyone, some more than others, but it is also an obligation if we want to live in a nation with a participatory government.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:40 AM

595 posts, read 2,344,444 times
Its not the civic duty if you have a prior commitment to hourly working or school.

I dont believe the state owns my time or my body, and how does stuff like this impact students who don't get excused by professors (which happens often) or those who work an hourly wage?
For me to serve on a jury you better compensate me for my time at a reasonable wage.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:41 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
I would think that full time student would be a good excuse to get off jury duty. I mean, it is a hardship. A BIG one. College tuition is expensive!

At the time we moved here, they sent out a questionnaire asking if anything would possibly be a problem or hardship if you were asked to serve. At the time my only job was freelance work. Thus, if I got called and had to serve on some super-lengthy trial. It would severly impact my income level.

Never got called in. DH, however, gets called in constantly.

Neither of us will ever be asked to serve on a murder trial though, because a family member of mine was murdered.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:58 AM

595 posts, read 2,344,444 times
When I lived in Athens, GA there was a judge in town who would not excuse students for class (and professors likewise really couldn't, you cannot miss 3-4 days of class) and I knew most kids ignored a jury summons in favor of class and had to make that decision knowing they'd get a few days in jail for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies