Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:36 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that many of the threads that are on this board, end up being rants against the less advantaged. For example, mention Hempstead or Wyandanch and you quickly have people going on and on about how horrible they are and about how all the people are welfare recipients. You get things like "If they can't afford to live here, they should move", "They should get themselves educated and get better jobs", etc.

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to have a thread devoted to this topic. Why are poor people poor? Are they lazy, stupid? Are they disadvantaged through no fault of their own? Is there a way out (not just for the exceptional few, but for all)? Do we have an obligation as a society to help? What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 12:46 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times
My feeling, it is all about your upbringing.

Many are born into families that didn't assimilate, didn't take on the values of education. Many are born into families that are broken, single parent families. Many only live as they were brought up, working jobs for minimum wage or not working at all. Many just continue to lead the life exactly as their mother/father (if they even know him) did. I say it is all about how you are raised. Certain nationalities/cultures value education and hard work more than others. And many people have learned to milk to system and not work b/c they are handed $ for every child they have.

I don't think we are obligated as a society to help in anyway at all. It just gets out of hand and many of the people receiving the services never change their ways, never try to better themselves and don't try to solve their own problems.

I have worked with all nationalities and cultures and some are very very hard workers. I sort of admire the work ethic the spanish/illegal immigrants have. At least they work hard physical labor jobs (even if they do send the $ back home and milk our system out of tax $). At least they work hard in whatever way they can to earn a living, unlike others who just want freebies and expect handouts.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:57 PM

245 posts, read 298,539 times
Default Why are the rich, rich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I have noticed that many of the threads that are on this board, end up being rants against the less advantaged. For example, mention Hempstead or Wyandanch and you quickly have people going on and on about how horrible they are and about how all the people are welfare recipients. You get things like "If they can't afford to live here, they should move", "They should get themselves educated and get better jobs", etc.

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to have a thread devoted to this topic. Why are poor people poor? Are they lazy, stupid? Are they disadvantaged through no fault of their own? Is there a way out (not just for the exceptional few, but for all)? Do we have an obligation as a society to help? What are your thoughts?
I've never known the child of a rich person to be poor. Why is that? Rarely can a poor person become rich, but it is probably entirely less likely for the progeny of a rich person to be poor. Why is that?

Last edited by Keeper; 12-19-2007 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: If you have a problem with moderator send DM.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:04 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times
I don't get it...are you against rich people not blowing their wads?

Poor people are poor for any number of reasons. It's the poor that stay poor forever that don't deserve much of a break. Sorry, but it's true. I'm not saying they'll be rich, but there are so many programs to help people that they should be able to make something of themselves. That's why Section 8 is a good program, while things like welfare are not. This is too complicated a discussion for this thread.

Let me say this...bottom line, afford LI (or wherever) or move. My wife's cousins had to move to the Poconos to get a house. Anyone can do it and should be forced to do it if need be.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:35 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
I've never known the child of a rich person to be poor. Why is that? Rarely can a poor person become rich, but it is probably entirely less likely for the progeny of a rich person to be poor. Why is that?
Inheritance?

Old 12-18-2007, 03:11 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
Default How do people become poor?

One of the things I find instructive about the poor is to check out the NY Times' neediest cases. There can be crimes, illness or just plain bad luck that can send people from the middle class to the ranks of the poor. Just today they featured a 67 year old woman who takes the bus two hours each way for a low earning job. She gets mugged often. I don't think she has a lot of options.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/18/ny...8neediest.html

What we owe the poor is another subject. But, certainly, we could all be in the same circumstances of those poor folks.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:33 PM

85 posts, read 433,336 times
i don't know why poor people are poor, but one thing i can point out is there seems to be a lot of people living in projects and getting welfare sporting designer labels, owning top of the line electronics, and driving around expensive cars. i have nothing against those who work hard and try improve their lives, but it really annoys me when people take advantage of the system. those who need the help don't get it and those who don't just stay in it.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:36 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
I teach in the south Bronx in a very run-down area. For some reason unknown, many of the parents have no jobs at all and are just on welfare. They don't even get off their butts to work a minimum wage job. But yet, they spoil their kids with gamecubes and nintendos...I don't understand it. Good to know my tax money is going towars gamecubes.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snforstuff View Post
i don't know why poor people are poor, but one thing i can point out is there seems to be a lot of people living in projects and getting welfare sporting designer labels, owning top of the line electronics, and driving around expensive cars. i have nothing against those who work hard and try improve their lives, but it really annoys me when people take advantage of the system. those who need the help don't get it and those who don't just stay in it.
Bingo. Same thing I have seen time and time again. But I guess some might say that it is a stereotype but why is THAT? B/c it is often true.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I teach in the south Bronx in a very run-down area. For some reason unknown, many of the parents have no jobs at all and are just on welfare. They don't even get off their butts to work a minimum wage job. But yet, they spoil their kids with gamecubes and nintendos...I don't understand it. Good to know my tax money is going towars gamecubes.

I have seen the same thing as well in my dealings with the public.

I even personally know people like this, but at least they work hard and are not on welfare to support these habits. Or family and friends bail them out. Or they simply are doomed to working even harder.

They have a Lexus but live in a tiny, shabby apt. They have the hippest clothes but can't pay bills. The kids go to crappy schools but God forbid they save for private school versus buying that new car, gadget, tv, etc.

BUT...They would never even think of welfare even if they might technically qualify.

There is no coinky-dink here. Most times we are what we create.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies