Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 PM

45,250 posts, read 26,493,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I'm going to use your post to grouse about something that bothers me.

So, to all you business owners, answer me this question. If ALL your business taxes were to end tomorrow, and I mean no income tax, no property tax, no employment tax, what are you going to do with that extra money? Will you:

1) lower your prices?

2) give your employees raises?

3) hire more employees?

4) some combination of the above?

Or will you just stuff the money into your pockets, figuring that your customers are already paying what they pay and your employees are already earning what they earn and working the time and the effort it already takes?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the money would go directly into the owner's pockets, and no one other than the owner will benefit from those lower taxes.
Id rather those who earn it, keep it or spend it what they feel is best.You'd rather the fedguv steal it and stuff the pockets of its pals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 08:08 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:

So, to all you business owners, answer me this question. If ALL your business taxes were to end tomorrow, and I mean no income tax, no property tax, no employment tax, what are you going to do with that extra money? Will you:

1) lower your prices?

3) hire more employees?

Or will you just stuff the money into your pockets, figuring that your customers are already paying what they pay and your employees are already earning what they earn and working the time and the effort it already takes?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the money would go directly into the owner's pockets, and no one other than the owner will benefit from those lower taxes.
I would be mad....

I have made spending to avoid taxes an art.....no kidding.

I would be heartbroken if I could not kept living off of the deprecation on equipment.

I think I would go out of business all together......and get some cows.

Farming is a great tax schedule too.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:13 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,797,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I would be mad....

I have made spending to avoid taxes an art.....no kidding.

I would be heartbroken if I could not kept living off of the deprecation on equipment.

I think I would go out of business all together......and get some cows.

Farming is a great tax schedule too.
Sorry did not see this response before I wrote my other response.

Interesting ......

Old 07-10-2014, 08:36 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,797,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Id rather those who earn it, keep it or spend it what they feel is best.You'd rather the fedguv steal it and stuff the pockets of its pals.
I dont believe I have ever said that anyplace, not on C-D anyways You just ASS U me

Old 07-10-2014, 08:51 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,274,273 times
Quote:

1) lower your prices?

3) hire more employees?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the money would go directly into the owner's pockets, and no one other than the owner will benefit from those lower taxes
That's exactly what would happen.
The price of the goods are set by the market - no need to drop them.
Employee wages are also set by the market - no need to raise them. Wages can be raised anyways without having to pay more income tax.
The number of employees is determined by the demand for the products - no need to hire more.

The sole exception I see is dropping the property tax and other fixed taxes will set a lower breakeven point and will allow companies to be able to lower prices, not that they would, but they would have that option. Also, some companies have profit sharing plans, so lower taxes would result in higher bonuses for those employees.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:48 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times
Quote:

1) lower your prices?

3) hire more employees?

I've suspected for years (and i'm sure that i'm right) that the linking of business to the topic of taxes has been nothing but a way for big business to extort more tax breaks out of the American public. Businesses have thrived in this country when the tax rates were a hell of a lot higher than they are now. And i mean a HELL of a lot higher!

Now all of a sudden (since Reagan for the most part) any and all taxes are killing big business (and small) and if we don't either lower taxes or get rid of them altogether (), all businesses are gonna either close or leave the country. Nevermind that our foreign competitors thrive in far higher taxed nations where employee costs are far higher than labor costs here.

They even complain about a corporate tax rate that hardly any of them even pay. So much so that when Obama offered to cut the rate, big business and their Republican allies complained that the new rate would actually be a tax hike! You can't win on the issue unless you let them pay no taxes at all.

How this "businesses need low or no taxes to thrive" gospel BECAME the gospel is amazing, but like with anything else, if you say it enough, everyone will start believing it.

Not that i want crippling tax rates for businesses, but all this lobbying for a free ride is getting on my last nerve.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:52 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Interesting.
You're right. They hurt people.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:24 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,233,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Why not tax at a 100 percent if high taxes do not hurt jobs
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sigh. Please. Just stop. any quote that says "why not just" and then goes on to some idiotic extreme does not contribute to a discussion.

So lets try something more reasonable

"At what point does taxation affect employment?"

Given that many countries tax more then twice our rate, and have less unemployment, the answer is....some where north of 2X what we do, as long as the money is used for public benefit.
That's what I was asking

Old 07-12-2014, 07:59 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,893,324 times
Default What Camel stuff they been smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Interesting.
Is that way people are leaving NY and California to escape almost 60 percent of one wage with Federal Income tax.

High taxes are wage killers and job Killers.

These states collect a lot of taxes for what? I am not sure I would be willing to pay for services I do not use? Never mind trying to get these states to tell their citizens on "where the money is going.

Thank God the Tea Party is out there putting attention to abuse of power from the tax agencies.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:28 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,977,451 times
The idea that taxes do not influence employment is so far beyond preposterous, that nobody should ever be fooled by such nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies