Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 07:53 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would like to see a tax system that forced the rich and their heirs to have to work for a living.

I suggest eliminating the cap on taxable income for SS and a cap at twice the individual poverty amount on payments.

I would like to see the Federal Income Tax applicable to all income from all sources with a single exemption at the 85 percentile. That way the people that most benefit from country pay for its maintenance.
So you want to steal the wealth of others to "force" them to work. Because you envy those with money, you want to make them "pay", correct?

It is instructive when collectivists bare their fangs like this. We get a true picture of the depravity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 08:04 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
So you want to steal the wealth of others to "force" them to work. Because you envy those with money, you want to make them "pay", correct?

It is instructive when collectivists bare their fangs like this. We get a true picture of the depravity.
Yep. They're all about the using and exploitation.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:29 AM

7,503 posts, read 5,753,469 times
This draws a good distinction between ethic's and lack thereof..

Superdonor Tom Steyer used tax shelters, draws comparisons to attacks on Mitt Romney - Washington Times

What I like is how they howl and bawl about wall street and the evils of conservatives yet well... read on..

Old 07-16-2014, 08:36 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's a distinct minority. Very close to only 1/3.

Why pay them more benefits? Why can't they lower their lifestyle to suit their earning ability/preferences? No one is automatically entitled to anything other than our Constitutionally guaranteed rights.

Even at a third not very many isn't accurate. Fwiw it's nearly 17% higher than a third. Keep down playing it though

They aren't making much. How much do you think they have in terms of luxury or excess?

Take a look at the agi limits for eitc

Preview of 2014 EITC Income Limits, Maximum Credit Amounts and Tax Law Updates

Studies have suggested the eitc expanded he workforce and incentivized folks to drop govt assistance

Old 07-16-2014, 08:58 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm watching a documentary on the French Revolution, and it brought up the very well known fact that in the decades before the bloody event the wealthiest nobles were paying virtually nothing while the middle classes and below were paying ridiculously high taxes. In America at the moment, guys like Mitt Romney are paying around 15 percent and guys like me (a very middle class Soldier) and probably you are paying near 30 percent. Come on my Republican brethren, isn't it about time to double the taxes of the wealthiest Americans so we can return to some semblance of economic normalcy?
I had a revolutionary thought on the subject of rich versus poor, and taxation.

Our society is extracting huge money out of the ignorant poor, far more per capita than on the wealthy, in two ways: tobacco taxes, and lottery tickets. Smoking is three times more prevalent in poverty-level households than in ones that have income of >$100,000. And scratch-off lottery tickets? definitely for morons, who tend to be poor.

So three potential courses of action: eliminate taxes on tobacco and stop selling lottery tickets....or try to educate the poor to be less stupid....or just figure the poor will always be with us and move on to more elevating topics. Thought I'd offer these thoughts as a counterbalance to the notion that whoever has more money than you ought to soaked.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:02 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

Our society is extracting huge money out of the ignorant poor, far more per capita than on the wealthy, in two ways: tobacco taxes, and lottery tickets. Smoking is three times more prevalent in poverty-level households than in ones that have income of >$100,000. And scratch-off lottery tickets? definitely for morons, who tend to be poor.

So three potential courses of action: eliminate taxes on tobacco and stop selling lottery tickets....or try to educate the poor to be less stupid....or just figure the poor will always be with us and move on to more elevating topics. Thought I'd offer these thoughts as a counterbalance to the notion that whoever has more money than you ought to soaked.

The states wouldn't give up the lottery revenue so I'm not sure that's feasible

Old 07-16-2014, 09:18 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

You are joking right?

People are not forced to buy tobacco or lottery but we are forced to pay income tax. Tobacco tax is a volunteering tax and lottery is not a tax.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:40 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You are joking right?

People are not forced to buy tobacco or lottery but we are forced to pay income tax. Tobacco tax is a volunteering tax and lottery is not a tax.
I'm not joking. Income and wealth inequality are hot topics these days, and some fraction of it is because stupid people are doing stupid things with whatever money they do lay their hands on. It is a pertinent part of the discussion.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:41 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Even at a third not very many isn't accurate. Fwiw it's nearly 17% higher than a third.
39%. Very close to 1/3 which is 33.33333%

Quote:
They aren't making much. How much do you think they have in terms of luxury or excess?
There are always ways to reduce expenses. As I've already noted... get roommates, share housing and utilities expenses, walk/bicycle to work, container garden to grow some of one's own food. Here are a few more... quit smoking (the poor are MUCH more likely to smoke than anyone else), stop buying alcoholic beverages.

http://media.gallup.com/poll/graphs/032008smoking1.gif

Old 07-16-2014, 12:48 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it's because it isn't one.

THIS is an example of an exception:
Student Exception to FICA Tax

Note the word: "exception"
So what you are saying is that in order to be an exception to the rule the word exception must be spelled out? That's your argument? Seriously? Come on now, I know you aren't dumb, the tax code is littered with exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies