Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 07:14 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,400,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Please explain why they should have a say in how to use other peoples money.
Because we are a society. Rich or poor. I know, darn those poors, why should we have a democracy! I FAR prefer a plutocracy!

Look, I kinda like our democratic republic. Feel free to shout for your plutocracy. I will vote against it. If you want to see some seriously bad things happen to the rich, feel free to try and pass it. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:15 PM

89,091 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Yes, and you had to be born before 1936 to qualify and only contributions before 1974 (or 1984) were eligible. However, your previous statement and your entire argument makes it seem as if these eligible plans are common.
I'm not responsible for your failure to understand tax law.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:18 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,231,627 times
Governments instituted to secure rights cannot tax rights. Period.
However, governments can tax privileges they grant.
You might ask your public servants to explain exactly WHAT revenue taxable privilege they are referring to.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Look, I kinda like our democratic republic.
It's not democratic when too many people can vote themselves other people's earnings. It's like two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Did you pay your extra at the link? Or are you all talk and no action?
It’s game theory. If we all chip in, we can get it done. If enough people choose to free-ride (like you want to), that spoils the game and we take our balls and go home.
I would be perfectly happy to pay more in taxes, but only if everyone does.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
It's not democratic when too many people can vote themselves other people's earnings. It's like two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
Sigh. soooo you're argument is that the politicians work for the poor people right?

Reality has issues with your perception

Old 07-15-2014, 07:24 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,274,273 times
Quote:
I'm not responsible for your failure to understand tax law.
Seems you should look in the mirror pot. The link you posted is an exception to the rule.

All I want to know is what plan will allow me to pay gains at the capital gain rate.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
It’s game theory. If we all chip in, we can get it done.
We're not all chipping in. As the Chairman of Harvard's Department of Economics noted, the majority of Americans are now making a PROFIT off of the government:
Quote:
"Because transfer payments are, in effect, the opposite of taxes, it makes sense to look not just at taxes paid, but at taxes paid minus transfers received. For 2009, the most recent year available, here are taxes less transfers as a percentage of market income (income that households earned from their work and savings):

Bottom quintile: -301 percent
Second quintile: -42 percent
Middle quintile: -5 percent
Fourth quintile: 10 percent
Highest quintile: 22 percent
Top one percent: 28 percent

The negative 301 percent means that a typical family in the bottom quintile receives about $3 in transfer payments for every dollar earned.

The most surprising fact to me was that the effective tax rate is negative for the middle quintile. According to the CBO data, this number was +14 percent in 1979 (when the data begin) and remained positive through 2007. It was negative 0.5 percent in 2008, and negative 5 percent in 2009. That is, the middle class, having long been a net contributor to the funding of government, is now a net recipient of government largess."
Harvard University's Greg Mankiw: Most Americans Are Making A Profit Off Of Government

CBO report cited:
CBO | The Distribution of Household Income and Federal Taxes

60% are TAKING more than they contribute, making them a net drain on society.

60%.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Seems you should look in the mirror pot. The link you posted is an exception to the rule.
No, it IS a rule.

Quote:
All I want to know is what plan will allow me to pay gains at the capital gain rate.
As the IRS link I posted states, it depends on your birth date.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:39 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,274,273 times
Quote:
No, it IS a rule.
Not THE rule. THE rule is that your retirement account will be taxed at ordinary tax rates. The fact that there is an exception to the rule does not change the rule.

Quote:
As the IRS link I posted states, it depends on your birth date.
Yes and I would need a time machine to be able to take advantage, but even then the capital gain treatment is only available on contributions prior to 1974 and only once.

"If you receive a lump-sum distribution from a qualified retirement plan or a qualified retirement annuity and you were born before January 2, 1936, you may be able to elect optional methods of figuring the tax on the distribution. These optional methods can be elected only once after 1986 for any eligible plan participant."

What retirement plan will allow me to pay taxes at the capital gain rates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies