Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:33 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Never have, never would.
Same here.

I have actually only noticed a person using a food stamp card once. The only reason I noticed was that she had handfuls of coupons and was carefully combining sale items with her coupons and she apologized for taking so long. That was when I noticed her payment method. She drew attention t herself, but in a good way.

I guess I am just paying attention to my own shopping and really don't notice what others buy or how they pay because I never see it. Honestly, I have enough to worry about in my own life, I don't need to police others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:37 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
I've never voiced criticism towards anyone for being on food stamps. Not in the supermarket. I have never felt the need to do so.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:01 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Then how come they all drive Hummers? (Escalades are so Clinton era leech.)
Simple: Drug Sales...

Old 07-15-2014, 09:04 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Then how come they all drive Hummers? (Escalades are so Clinton era leech.)
Hey! Respect for the classics, please. There are forms to be observed.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:06 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Many here criticize most social welfare as creating "leeches" dependent on government aid. Commonly cited as a concrete example are food stamps. The archetypical recipient of food stamps, the "welfare queen" with five kids in tow buying Doritos chips, Hershey bars, Land O'Lakes packaged dinners, and Monster energy drinks (plus Coke for the kids) is ingrained in American society. Yet few would dare to voice such criticism when she swipes her food card and the teller hands her a receipt saying the purchase was authorized.

Have you ever saw somebody using an EBT card and voiced criticism to the party using the card? Have you ever snarled your nose in derision of the user? Have you ever heard or seen somebody do the same?
No, I don't care if people use EBT cards. I rarely even notice how people are paying for their stuff when at the store, unless they're writing a check, which irritates me.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:07 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Of course. Leeches should be reminded that they are parasites draining this nation dry even if their lazy non working buttocks don't give a dam.
That is a silly thing to do.

My husband's sister shops for their grandmother.

If you knew this 82 years old lady you would not mind her getting $107 a month for food.

See how foolish you would have looked???

Old 07-15-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I've never seen anybody do that. Even though I think the system is abused, I wouldn't do it either. Good grief, how would I know they weren't truly needy.
Or, shopping for a disabled person.

It could be their job.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:10 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,604,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Many here criticize most social welfare as creating "leeches" dependent on government aid. Commonly cited as a concrete example are food stamps. The archetypical recipient of food stamps, the "welfare queen" with five kids in tow buying Doritos chips, Hershey bars, Land O'Lakes packaged dinners, and Monster energy drinks (plus Coke for the kids) is ingrained in American society. Yet few would dare to voice such criticism when she swipes her food card and the teller hands her a receipt saying the purchase was authorized.

Have you ever saw somebody using an EBT card and voiced criticism to the party using the card? Have you ever snarled your nose in derision of the user? Have you ever heard or seen somebody do the same?
No and I never would. I have never seen anyone berate someone using an EBT card. People that do that are judgmental butt wipes.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How do you know if the persons are working or not? You can't tell by looking.
True.

And shopping for someone could BE their job.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
I mind my own business and do not scrutinize what people use for payment.

People use cards to pay for purchases. I don't know if they are credit cards, personal debit cards, SNAP or EBT cards or the circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies