Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:40 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times

Advertisements

Great news for Arizona!

Old 10-17-2014, 01:42 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
One more domino fell. Alaska now has full equality for all of its citizens.

Equality On TrialSupreme Court declines to halt Alaska same-sex marriages » Equality On Trial

Old 10-17-2014, 03:05 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Add Wyoming to the ever-growing list. Though the judge gave the state until next week to appeal, looks like that probably won't happen:

"Republican Governor Matt Mead said in a debate last night that he saw no point in an appeal, given that the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, of which Wyoming is a part, has already ruled that laws similar to Wyoming's are unconstitutional."

Judge Strikes Down Wyoming Gay Marriage Ban - NBC News

Old 10-17-2014, 03:17 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Alaska as well, since the Supreme Court said it wont intervene.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:40 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Add Wyoming to the ever-growing list. Though the judge gave the state until next week to appeal, looks like that probably won't happen:

"Republican Governor Matt Mead said in a debate last night that he saw no point in an appeal, given that the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, of which Wyoming is a part, has already ruled that laws similar to Wyoming's are unconstitutional."

Judge Strikes Down Wyoming Gay Marriage Ban - NBC News
Beat me to it Tigerlily, 3 states in one day, I think that it now makes it 33 states and DC. Interesting is that in 1967 when Loving verses the state of Virginia resolved standing bans on interracial marriage, there were 17 states that still had bans.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:13 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Beat me to it Tigerlily, 3 states in one day, I think that it now makes it 33 states and DC. Interesting is that in 1967 when Loving verses the state of Virginia resolved standing bans on interracial marriage, there were 17 states that still had bans.
Wyoming would make it 32 as long as the state doesn't appeal (which seems unlikely that they will) when it takes effect, though it is possible Montana could beat them to the punch (ruling expected shortly there). These bans are dropping like flies.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:21 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Just my opinion:

When someone says they are against same sex marriages being legalized, they are essentially saying the same couples and their relationships are unworthy of respect. To me that is the very heart of the matter. It is prejudice and discrimination against gay people.

All of these courts, whether state, federal, appellate, or even the US Supreme Court itself ... recognize that the resistance to legalize same sex marriage is solely based on animus and prejudice. In other words, there is no legitimate, rational, reasonable, or scientific reason to deprive gay folks their rights as equal citizens under the law.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:25 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Wyoming would make it 32 as long as the state doesn't appeal (which seems unlikely that they will) when it takes effect, though it is possible Montana could beat them to the punch (ruling expected shortly there). These bans are dropping like flies.
It is good to see the system actually in process, one day people will look back at these times and point to it as the time when gays finally gained their full status as American Citizens. It is hisory in the making and we get to watch it play out, count yourself lucky.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
eventually gay marriage will be a fact.
unfortunately marriage as a whole is a dying creature.
universal gay marriage will be a hollow victory.
the validation craved will be short lived, gay marriage will quickly be followed by gay divorce.
the marital industrial complex is something that gays have been spared for a long time but the straight male has suffered from since 1975.
interestingly enough, lesbian marriage i think will do well, their stability is statistically way above most.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:27 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Just my opinion:

When someone says they are against same sex marriages being legalized, they are essentially saying the same couples and their relationships are unworthy of respect. To me that is the very heart of the matter. It is prejudice and discrimination against gay people.

All of these courts, whether state, federal, appellate, or even the US Supreme Court itself ... recognize that the resistance to legalize same sex marriage is solely based on animus and prejudice. In other words, there is no legitimate, rational, reasonable, or scientific reason to deprive gay folks their rights as equal citizens under the law.
At this point I think some (though certainly not all) of those who are against it are realizing that legally they no longer have an argument. You are seeing this in Arizona where the state is declining to appeal, same appears very likely in Wyoming. Corbett in PA after fighting for the ban decided not to appeal, same thing with Christie in PA, and even Walker in WI (though his AG still fought it). There are still some exceptions, NC for one, as the GOP leaders in the State Legislature Berger and Tillis (who is running for Senate against Hagan) are continuing the fight even after the state and circuit court turned over the bans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies