Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 01:32 PM

19,903 posts, read 22,825,358 times

Advertisements

Cattle ranchers in Montana are making great money, wheat farmers have had record years.. Montana's agri-economy is having one of it's best runs in decades due largely in part to world demand for product.

Supply and demand has both winners and losers.

The US leads the world in crude production. Demand, globally, is high. Current prices make it viable for oil sands to continue to be developed. New pipelines are opening up. A hell of a lot of jobs are being created in that industry. The eastern part of Montana is BOOMING. North Dakota is off the charts.

Again, supply and demand.

Based on the hyper-cynicism found in these political nonsensical posts, I'm sure that some will point detriment to this economic benefit and find fault where none exists.

Well gee- sorry you have to pay $8.00 p/lb for your t-bone and pay $3.75 for a gallon of gas to go buy it, but trust me- some hard working cattle ranchers in Montana, and oil field workers in ND appreciate your business.

Last edited by Threerun; 07-24-2014 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 02:40 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,531,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There are many reasons. Some fundamental, some not.
Are you interested in specifically addressing the reasons that I raised previously, because your posts seem interested in talking in circles, vaguely.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:42 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,355,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Are you interested in specifically addressing the reasons that I raised previously, because your posts seem interested in talking in circles, vaguely.
I did. There are many reasons, some fundamental, some not.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I did. There are many reasons, some fundamental, some not.
That is a very unspecific statement, which does not clearly address any reason, much less identify a given reason as "fundamental" or not.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
That is a very unspecific statement, which does not clearly address any reason, much less identify a given reason as "fundamental" or not.
Everything is less expensive today if the government hadn't printed trillions of dollars with many of those dollars ending up in commodities.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Everything is less expensive today if the government hadn't printed trillions of dollars with many of those dollars ending up in commodities.
So your arguments about the price of groceries has absolutely nothing to do with drought or global demand for food, or beef demand and supply in China (even though you consistently challenge those discussions non-specifically)? Perhaps you should stick to threads that are not about food prices and consumer sentiment.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:34 PM

Hmm no rebuttal from the tea-poopers? No comment on WSJ's articles pretty much derailing the ill fated arguments? Wow. Usually pretty popular to call the WSJ a left-leaning rag when the news isn't on your side..

Old 07-24-2014, 09:44 PM

**crickets**

Old 07-25-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
So your arguments about the price of groceries has absolutely nothing to do with drought or global demand for food, or beef demand and supply in China (even though you consistently challenge those discussions non-specifically)? Perhaps you should stick to threads that are not about food prices and consumer sentiment.
I have no desire to address replies that have completely ignored everything I have said.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I have no desire to address replies that have completely ignored everything I have said.
I assure you that I have not ignored you, but you are only speaking vaguely. First you asserted that drought conditions are not impacting food prices ("blame the plague"). Then it was pointed out to you that the parts of the country that supply fruits, nuts, beef, and vegetables are suffering from drought.

Then you asserted that bread can be found in stores. Of course, even a cursory Google search reveals that food prices are rising, as Casper in Dallas pointed out.

Then, in response to a post about demand in China, you made the non-sequitur comment that "competition doesn't cause prices to rise. It causes them to fall." I pointed out the point of the post to which you were responding--that there is increased demand-side competition for food, including expensive meats, which does generally cause prices to rise.

Then you made another non-sequitur comment, this one also vague and making assumptions about my post: "You assume that cattle can't be raised in China." I reiterated the point that rising demand increases prices and that Chinese demand impacts American prices.

You conceded that point, but claimed "there is no reason that if they want more beef that they can't simply raise more themselves." In response, I listed a variety of reasons that Chinese beef supply is not rising as fast as Chinese beef demand, which you ignored. For an enlightening read, take a look at the following:
China beef prices rise
A survey of cattle production in China
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...71892024,d.cGU
LDPS2 User's Guide
Half of China's Antibiotics Now Go to Livestock | Mother Jones

Instead, you responded: "Beef raised itself for centuries." Which is vague, beside the point, and again, non-sequitur. After another exchange, we essentially had come full circle--at which point you made the claim that, "[e]verything is less expensive today if the government hadn't printed trillions of dollars with many of those dollars ending up in commodities."

And then one realizes that you are arguing in this thread not because you know or care about food prices and the reasons for them, but because of your view of US monetary policy. Taking a brief look at your counter-factual, the most likely result of the government not deficit spending/keeping interest rates low/spending on troubled assets (which is what I assume "printed trillions of dollars" references) would have been an even further prolonged recession, or even depression. It could well be that prices would be lower, but they would be low because people would have less money and fewer jobs. The financial crisis caused private money to sit on the sidelines, and government spending supplemented aggregate demand to prevent a negative feedback loop.

That is all a little far afield, but your "substantive" comment was, as well.

The big picture is that global population will rise about 33% by 2050, which is a lot more mouths to feed, and means that great strides in agricultural supply will be necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies