Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:44 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I assure you that I have not ignored you, but you are only speaking vaguely. First you asserted that drought conditions are not impacting food prices
Perhaps you can show me where I said that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 10:49 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,523,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There aren't drought conditions across "much" of the nation.

why not just blame the plague?
Quote:
Perhaps you can show me where I said that.
Right there, p. 5, pst #42. In response to Casper in Dallas' statement, "the food prices have been going up because of drought conditions across much of the Nation."

Old 07-25-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Right there, p. 5, pst #42. In response to Casper in Dallas' statement, "the food prices have been going up because of drought conditions across much of the Nation."
I didn't say that. I corrected him in the fact that the drought conditions are not across much of the nation. They aren't.

To want to be factual is not saying that where there are dry conditions plays no role at all. Why would you quote him as opposed to me?

Old 07-25-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I didn't say that. I corrected him in the fact that the drought conditions are not across much of the nation. They aren't.

To want to be factual is not saying that where there are dry conditions plays no role at all.
So why did you state, "why not just blame the plague?" You were responding to a post pointing out that the drought is causing food price increases. Your post ignored the central point, made a vague "clarification" that has nothing to do with this thread, and asserted that blaming the plague is equally as relevant to the discussion of food prices as blaming the drought. That is wrong.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:

To want to be factual is not saying that where there are dry conditions plays no role at all. Why would you quote him as opposed to me?
And for the record, I would not say that "much of the nation" is a stretch when describing the drought:

United States Drought Monitor > Home

Old 07-25-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
So why did you state, "why not just blame the plague?" You were responding to a post pointing out that the drought is causing food price increases. Your post ignored the central point, made a vague "clarification" that has nothing to do with this thread, and asserted that blaming the plague is equally as relevant to the discussion of food prices as blaming the drought. That is wrong.
I admit that I keep my posts generally short until someone shows that they are willing to actually read what I wrote and discuss what I actually said.

To say that there was a "drought across much of the country" was an attempt to paint the rising costs solely on drought conditions. It was an attempt to exaggerate the problem. So was I flippant? Yes. As you can see, there was no desire to discuss the truth, so what am I suppose to do? Waste a bunch of time writing out long replies?

Rising prices have many factors. Drought, increased buyers (in some cases, I will note, oil went up even though demand went down), and the policies of the Fed.

One of those we can completely control.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
And for the record, I would not say that "much of the nation" is a stretch when describing the drought:

United States Drought Monitor > Home
The only abnormality for the summer months is California. Even then I have no idea how they are measuring this. I was just in some of the yellow areas and there are no problems there.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I admit that I keep my posts generally short until someone shows that they are willing to actually read what I wrote and discuss what I actually said.

To say that there was a "drought across much of the country" was an attempt to paint the rising costs solely on drought conditions. It was an attempt to exaggerate the problem. So was I flippant? Yes. As you can see, there was no desire to discuss the truth, so what am I suppose to do? Waste a bunch of time writing out long replies?

Rising prices have many factors. Drought, increased buyers (in some cases, I will note, oil went up even though demand went down), and the policies of the Fed.

One of those we can completely control.
You've kept your posts vague and argumentative, in addition to short. As the link I posted shows, there is a drought across "much of the country" and that drought is causing increased food prices. General consumer inflation remains low, but food prices are a notable outlier. Thus, fed policy can be eliminated as a cause of increased food prices. I agree that increased demand is a cause--but it is a cause of a longer term trend in rising prices. The recent spike in food prices is driven by supply, and the supply issue is drought in key agricultural regions.

In fact, the posts to which you were flippant were attempting to discuss the real reasons behind the food price spike.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
The only abnormality for the summer months is California. Even then I have no idea how they are measuring this. I was just in some of the yellow areas and there are no problems there.
UPDATE 2-U.S. meat, seafood prices rising on drought and disease -USDA | Reuters

The problem, for agricultural production, is drought in California, Texas, and Oklahoma.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
You've kept your posts vague and argumentative, in addition to short. As the link I posted shows, there is a drought across "much of the country" and that drought is causing increased food prices. General consumer inflation remains low, but food prices are a notable outlier. Thus, fed policy can be eliminated as a cause of increased food prices. I agree that increased demand is a cause--but it is a cause of a longer term trend in rising prices. The recent spike in food prices is driven by supply, and the supply issue is drought in key agricultural regions.

In fact, the posts to which you were flippant were attempting to discuss the real reasons behind the food price spike.
Fed's Lacker Admits "Asset Bubble" - Reluctant To Pop It

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...luctant-pop-it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies