Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should We Allow Robots?
Yes 61 82.43%
No 13 17.57%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:35 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Why should we favor the less efficient over something that is more efficient, just so that Joe Sixpack can keep his job (and force consumer prices ever higher because of his increasing demands for more pay and benefits for the same work)?
Because with robots, there is no need for humans. The two choices are:

1) Establish a basic income for all humans

2) Have 90% of the population on welfare

Which one do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Weird how lefties want "progress" and claim that we conservatives are anti-science, then turn around and bash science.
I love science, but there comes a point where technology can completely obliterate the demand for human anything. Why work? A robot will be better than you at 99% of professions. Robots don't need sleep, pay, sensitivity, or food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I can't wait to get my Rosie the Robot maid. At least I won't have to worry about the housecleaners showing up on schedule or wanting a raise.
You won't be able to afford her. A robot took your job, too.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post

I think this is coming sooner than you think.
It is, unless we lobby politicians to intervene (which we should).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
The PA Turnpike has plans for all electronic tolling in the next few years. Good bye, toll collectors. They are part of a union with good benefits. I am guessing they make $40K plus depending on seniority, I don't know. But I can bet that one electronic tolling device costs a lot less than one human toll collector. Plus it can work 24/7, not need a break, vacation days, sick days, slacking off, etc. Sorry that those people won't have a job but technology advances and have made them not needed. You can't just employ people to give them a job and ignore technology.
Great, PA will have moved X amount of employees from being contributing taxpayers onto their welfare rolls!

(I agree with you about electronic tolling, though)

Old 07-23-2014, 10:40 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Because with robots, there is no need for humans. The two choices are:

1) Establish a basic income for all humans

2) Have 90% of the population on welfare

Which one do you prefer?
So your choice is to never expect any real effort from you.

If you thought that you were going to be able to support a family on minimum wage it shows that you are a retard. You should have thought of this before.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:

You won't be able to afford her. A robot took your job, too.
You just displayed a poor mans thinking

Old 07-23-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
So your choice is to never expect any real effort from you.

If you thought that you were going to be able to support a family on minimum wage it shows that you are a retard. You should have thought of this before.
No, it shows you have no idea what minimum wage is.

The Fair Labor Standards Act. Of course you are supposed to support a family on minimum wage. The fact that people think we need to work 60, 70, or even 80 hours a week to earn a basic living is a testament to how ignorant this country is. If only everyone could "work harder" to not starve.

If that isn't wage slavery, I don't know what is.

But hey, you are the one advocating for robots to replace humans. Why should anyone work? Robots are superior to us.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
You just displayed a poor mans thinking
.....at least I displayed some form of thinking

Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
.....at least I displayed some form of thinking
LOL
Sooooooo true.
So Mr "Richie Rich" there claims he doesn't need job - well good for him. If he thinks however that he's not going end up supporting all those people who're displaced by automation, then he's a fool. People will not be allowed to starve. If there are no jobs for them, they WILL be on the public dole - which HE will be supporting financially.

Ken

Old 07-23-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
No, it shows you have no idea what minimum wage is.

The Fair Labor Standards Act. Of course you are supposed to support a family on minimum wage. The fact that people think we need to work 60, 70, or even 80 hours a week to earn a basic living is a testament to how ignorant this country is. If only everyone could "work harder" to not starve.

If that isn't wage slavery, I don't know what is.

But hey, you are the one advocating for robots to replace humans. Why should anyone work? Robots are superior to us.
LOL... minimum wage.. a wage I knew from a very early age that I could not support a family on and therefor was willing to educated myself, put forth the effort so I could make more than. My work ethic, abilities, skills and knowledge was and is better than that.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Like it or not those robots are coming in one form or another.

This is just the evolution of technology.
Too bad we've turned into a service economy because all we'll get to do is fix them, not "invent" them.
Tech has been investing their R&D money in China, and India where PhD's are plentiful and cheap.

It is what it is and you will not be able to get the USG to outlaw automation because you need a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies