Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 06:05 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,482,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanon13 View Post
So, once again it's about COLOR or GENDER or, for that matter, sexual preference that matters......NOT Qualifications.
It's really about pressuring Obama to have the top 1% pay for a tech education program for Blacks. No doubt they would be graded on a scale far different than other students too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 06:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
It's really about pressuring Obama to have the top 1% pay for a tech education program for Blacks. No doubt they would be graded on a scale far different than other students too.
They could go to Bronx High School of Science after DeBlasio changes the entrance requirements to make it more diverse.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:21 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Jesse Jackson says diversity in the tech industry is the next "Civil Rights Movement".

He asked the EEOC to look into the hiring practices in the tech industry.
He said the government must do something about it.

Maybe all business needs to go to a quota system so that "everyone is a winner" in our quest to turn the US into Utopia.

One item not noted in this article is the percentage of women and Blacks that have college degrees in tech to begin with.

I know back in the late 80's when I went to college (engineering) I was the only girl in many classes and the majority of students were Indian males.

Jesse Jackson: Tech diversity is next civil rights step
U.S. civil rights leader Jesse Jackson called on the Obama administration Monday to scrutinize the tech industry's lack of diversity.

"The government has a role to play" in ensuring that women and minorities are fairly represented in the tech workforce, Jackson told a USA TODAY editorial board meeting. He said the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission needs to examine Silicon Valley's employment contracts.
Jackson, 72, discussed tech-sector hiring with the EEOC via phone Monday. The former two-time Democratic presidential candidate said he'll continue pushing the issue and has no plans to retire. "The struggle for emancipation is my life," he said in an interview. "It's my calling."
Just another typical democratic racist

Old 07-28-2014, 06:43 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Well, jibbi-dibiddi and a ratta-tattat - he's right, we need more gangsta rappers to help us to compete with the likes of India and China.
So, black people are only good for rapping?

Old 07-28-2014, 06:48 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
I thought by now it is Too many East Asians and South Asians in tech.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:50 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking_Good View Post
Let's see here: there are roughly 350 to 400 players in the NBA. And as a physical sport it is pretty clear who makes the cut and who does not.

How many thousands of people work in the tech industry? And computer programming is a skill that many people can learn if given the opportunity. The same can not be said for dunking a basketball.
Tru dat, tru dat

Old 07-28-2014, 07:11 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
They can't handle the fact that 40% or thereabouts of the typical freshmen classes at schools such as Stanford & UCLA are Asians, and that a ton of them have the self-motivation to go into the STEM disciplines, knowing that they can easily pull down a six-figure salary upon graduation, and not just in Silicon valley, but in places such as Phoenix & Houston which are all much cheaper to live in than any major city in California.

Jackson & Sharpton are race-baiting opportunists, plain & simple, and their fellow Democrats have made it impossible to fix the schools here in LA or anywhere else which they destroyed.

Until he & his fellow Dems have the guts to take on the teachers unions, our schools are going to continue to put out millions of illiterate kids every single year as they've been doing for decades without a peep of protest from Jackson or Sharpton.

The fact that Obama is considering issuing guidelines regarding disciplinary policies in public schools because African-American kids are suspended in much higher numbers than Caucasians is absurd, but certainly predictable, but what would you expect from a party this extreme, and the most extreme President we've ever had, not to mention our worst President ever?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:22 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
I majored in Computer Science and I've only had one black guy in any of my tech related classes and He was a Nigerian.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Girls just don't like Math and don't want to go into tech. They like using it and that's where it ends.
Um....

That is so offensive that I am LITERALLY shaking my head.

I'm female. I've worked with computers since I was a kid. SINCE. I. WAS. A. KID.

I've worked in tech MY ENTIRE ADULT LIFE.

I PROGRAM DATABASES FOR A LIVING.

I'M FEMALE, DID I MENTION THAT?

While we're on the subject of discrimination in I.T., ever tried being a white female pushing 40 in this field? You want to talk about DISCRIMINATION.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-30-2014 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 07-28-2014, 07:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Um....

That is so goddamn offensive that I am LITERALLY shaking my head.

I'm female. I've worked with computers since I was a kid. SINCE. I. WAS. A. KID.

I've worked in tech MY ENTIRE ADULT LIFE.

I PROGRAM DATABASES FOR A LIVING.

I'M FEMALE, DID I MENTION THAT?

While we're on the subject of discrimination in I.T., ever tried being a white female pushing 40 in this field? You want to talk about DISCRIMINATION.
I'm female as well.

I worked on systems..embedded, cryptographic, bring up of new cards, device drivers even.

I'm saying what I've seen in school with all the "Girls in Engineering" I did in the Austin area schools.

Girls have it made in engineering. Every manager wants to be able to toot their horn about how "diverse" they are. I turned down quite a few positions because I knew they were playing the girl card and I was not going to be their pawn.

Then they wanted to send me to WITI every year. Only went one year because Melissa Gates and Sarah Ferguson spoke.
Never went after that because it was just a big whine session about how they had to network to get ahead.

I was a software engineer for near 25 years and just recently retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies