Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:25 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I am no one's slave.

Conservatives don't have a purpose... they believe in an ideology. Conservatism today has been brainwashed by corporations into sanctioning ideological class warfare. Corporations can do no wrong. The rich can do no wrong. Money trumps everything.
And you think liberals don't believe in an ideology? You think liberals are somehow more practical or reasonable? There is no evidence of that.

I really hate to generalize what liberals believe. But their actions clearly show they believe that personal responsibility (and the liberty that comes with it) is unimportant and that government should be the entity that people look to for their stability and happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 07:28 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
If you believe this then this is true: The purpose of Conservatives is to create surfdom to Corporations by giving the entity the ability to dictate how free people can think and act on their own. To give entities the same rights as the people and to put them above the people with lower tax rates. To allow Corporations to self regulate and to have no responsibility to the society which supports them.
A real conservative (as opposed to the media caricature of one) understands that regulations are required for many aspects of business. I don't trust an energy company to not pollute so that must be regulated.

How does a company "dictate how free people can think and act on their own?"

Old 07-29-2014, 07:29 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
We then must agree to disagree as what I wrote is true.
You believe what you wrote is true as I believe what I wrote is true we just disagree

Old 07-29-2014, 07:30 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
And you think liberals don't believe in an ideology? You think liberals are somehow more practical or reasonable? There is no evidence of that.
On the contrary. Liberals have always been right on historical issues. Conservatives have always been wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I really hate to generalize what liberals believe. But their actions clearly show they believe that personal responsibility (and the liberty that comes with it) is unimportant and that government should be the entity that people look to for their stability and happiness.
Strawman.

I don't know any liberal that believes the government is a source of happiness.

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Too bad this thread is turning into the usual partisan drivel of conservatives are bad and liberals are good and vice a verse. This could be a interesting thread with different view points on job insecurity.

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
We then must agree to disagree as what I wrote is true.
In your mind it's true

Old 07-29-2014, 07:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I have retired and because of some shrewd choice of employers and finances I am no longer anyone's prostitute. I could be rented but was never bought.
I might have enjoyed working for myself and my customers but I never had the capital or the backing to start my own business. Instead I considered my employers my customers and traded time and skill for money and benefits.

Now if we wish to discuss job availability and security we can do so. I believe our parents had excellent job security in major industry post WW2 as most of the big employers were price regulated monopolies or colluded in sharing the markets. Most non managerial workers were in unions with decent pay and benefits unless you didn't fit the classist or raciest demographics. The businesses could afford this because they were oligopolies.

My generation started to lose this security as technology changed the manufacturing markets. In addition our foreign policy of reindustrializing Europe and Japan while protecting French and British colonies resulted in competition in the automobile oligopoly (Big Three) and wasting our money and men in Vietnam. The economic effect of that war resulted in few good and secure jobs. Of my friends I know of two that worked for the same company for over forty years . Both of those companies were defense contractors. A few others worked for Ma Bell or Digital. They did not have secure careers.

Now we have a severe form of global competition in fields we had monopolized. Anyone with the capital can set up an automated car production line anywhere. Same applies to commercial airplanes or ships. We even import raw steel from our arch competitor - China.
We are even losing our IT and computing advantage. This list is a lot longer.

I think we should restrict access to our technology and place countervailing tariffs on all imports to eliminate the price advantages derived from lower labor costs, lower interest rates, government subsidy and monopoly. We could also require raw materials (steel and aluminum)meet the same quality standards as domestic production. This just might reduce the unfair aspect of the world trade situation we are losing.

Last edited by GregW; 07-29-2014 at 07:56 AM..

Old 07-29-2014, 07:38 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
I have always thought working for some one else just makes money for them.

Nothing I ever wanted to do.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:40 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I am no one's slave.
If you have a student loan the OP is correct. You have to pay off that student loan because it can not be claimed in bankruptcy. You are a wage slave until you pay it off and when you do you have earned your freedom. Now with that said, if you owed a huge amount would you have job insecurity? would you push your employer for higher wages in a saturated job market? Do you feel a threat on gvt policy handing out visas to foreigners in your field?

Old 07-29-2014, 07:45 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Imagine that. Greenspan attributed job insecurity to global competition, decline in private sector unionization and technology 17 years ago. Did he not know it was all Obama's fault?

Most of those countries that consistently outperform the US substantially subsidize university education for qualified students. Teaching carries more prestige than other professions compared to the US where it seems half the country views teaching as leaching.

No two nations take the same approach towards education. The common thread seems to be that populations are less diverse, the families generally make certain their children put forth substantially more time and effort than is typical in the US.and the kids likely have never heard of Honey Boo Boo or care about Kardasians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies