Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:40 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,231 times

Advertisements

IBM is investing $100 million to support china in nurturing big data talent.

Geez companies like that don't even look at our workers, students, and universities.

Do you see a broader pattern here, in terms of future directions?
Do you think IBM is doing the right thing?

IBM Commits $100 Million to Support China in Nurturing Big Data Talent - - Dataconomy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 09:47 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,482,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
IBM is investing $100 million to support china in nurturing big data talent.

Geez companies like that don't even look at our workers, students, and universities.

Do you see a broader pattern here, in terms of future directions?
Do you think IBM is doing the right thing?

IBM Commits $100 Million to Support China in Nurturing Big Data Talent - - Dataconomy
IBM is a global corporation. The Chinese are the largest population are they not?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Americans refuse to acknowledge that we are not the best of the best.
PISA scores show us falling further and further behind other countries and many dismiss those scores.
Even Latvia is ahead of us now.

STEM companies are going to invest where STEM is flourishing and they can get employees for their company.

Why should a company sink $100 million in US schools where Math and Science scores are abysmal ?

Old 07-29-2014, 10:18 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
PISA scores show us falling further and further behind other countries and many dismiss those scores.

STEM companies are going to invest where STEM is flourishing and they can get employees for their company.

Why should a company sink $100 million in US schools where Math and Science scores are abysmal ?
I have to agree with this. We are far from the best and it should not surprise us when companies go looking for talent elsewhere. We refuse to compete. You can't win if you don't even compete.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:26 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
What are some of things dragging down our scores here in America ? I am honestly interested in the responses of people who agree with this. What are the answers/solutions.

I believe that drugs are part of the problem that are rampant in our schools and universities. If you are stoned or high, what do you care about concentrating on studies ? There is no will to do so.

I also believe we spend so much on playing catch up with children who do not speak the language or have any schooling background or no support to learn, we can't concentrate on setting and nurturing high scholastic standards.

Plus, the ratio of good teachers to mediocre (sp) teachers is high.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:29 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Yuo have never worked with the Chinese or you would not suggest such nonsense. Clue; they rarely think outside the box, it is frowned on in Chinese schools including their so-called "universities". They are good at stealing the technology of others and claiming they invented it, hence the many lawsuits against Chinese companies, but real R&D does not happen on any real scale in China. This I know since I have been to China several times and have worked for two of the largest Chinese Telecom companies and have discussed this many times with co-workers and American and European personnel working at other hinese companies and American companies doing business with the Chinese. IBM is going learn to regret working too closely with the Chinese, but then again IBM has not been making good choices for some time now.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:33 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
To much, if I remeber correctly, places like china have more focus on a subject, and they learn it, not just get an idea then move to the next subject...

Old 07-29-2014, 10:43 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Gee i can only think how taxes are too high for U.S. Corporations. Im starting to agree with Obama with one thing. If you can afford to be socially responsible in another countries society. Then you can afford to be responsible in our country by just paying your fair share of taxes.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:43 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
What are some of things dragging down our scores here in America ? I am honestly interested in the responses of people who agree with this. What are the answers/solutions.

I believe that drugs are part of the problem that are rampant in our schools and universities. If you are stoned or high, what do you care about concentrating on studies ? There is no will to do so.

I also believe we spend so much on playing catch up with children who do not speak the language or have any schooling background or no support to learn, we can't concentrate on setting and nurturing high scholastic standards.

Plus, the ratio of good teachers to mediocre (sp) teachers is high.
We keep spending money on trivial issues sometimes than the broader significant issue of young people's employment and the nations competitiveness.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Yuo have never worked with the Chinese or you would not suggest such nonsense. Clue; they rarely think outside the box, it is frowned on in Chinese schools including their so-called "universities". They are good at stealing the technology of others and claiming they invented it, hence the many lawsuits against Chinese companies, but real R&D does not happen on any real scale in China. This I know since I have been to China several times and have worked for two of the largest Chinese Telecom companies and have discussed this many times with co-workers and American and European personnel working at other hinese companies and American companies doing business with the Chinese. IBM is going learn to regret working too closely with the Chinese, but then again IBM has not been making good choices for some time now.
I've worked with Brazil, Germany, China, India, Singapore, Latvia, and a host of other countries.
I'm not suggesting they are innovative or brilliant. But they have the math and science know how and scores to prove it.

Companies don't care if they don't "think outside the box". They just want their product coded.
And if you've noticed the big companies don't even develop their own product anymore..they buy out the startups and then just modify.

I believe Apple is the only one of the big ones that strive to employ Americans for their development.

R&D is centered now in Bangalore. Patent protection is a big issue for not doing more R&D in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies