Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 07:24 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,284,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Hmmm, I need something accessible to certain medical services, none of those places in Michigan would work for me.
There is a search tool on the site that lets you search by county.

Quote:
Room = $500.mo. still not affordable to approx the kiwest-earning 10 percent. I rent a room in a house with four others and I pay 52 percent of my income for rent.
Also, $500/month is absurd considering how many roommates you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 07:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,522,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Yeah, we also understand the concept of unicorns but that doesn't make them real.

You think wage slavery doesn't exist? Don't the terms proletarian and proletariat perfectly fit the concept of wage slavery?

Old 08-03-2014, 07:29 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,949,847 times
Quote:
??? You're independently wealthy and don't need to earn money in order to live? You're a subsidy kid living off other people (e.g. parents, girl/boyfriend)? You can get by just on government assistance?
None of the above, but I have never been forced to take a job and I have never been forced to stay in a job. I didn't realize you were subjected to a slave labor camp. I have never read of such a thing in the US. You have my sympathy..

Old 08-03-2014, 07:29 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,044,395 times
A living wage is hard to define because it varies from place to place. A person living in California must make more money to live well than someone living in Texas, which is why there's more poor people in California (and why there's more people moving out of California and moving to Texas). It also depends on how one defines "living," do you define it as just scraping by and paying the bills? Or living a luxurious lifestyle?

Here's the thing, these forced wage increases do not work. When the Government forces businesses to raise their wages they are forced to compensate and raise their prices, this in turn leads to a higher Cost of Living because EVERYTHING goes up along with it. The prices on food, the prices on gas, the prices on medicine, the prices on electricity, even the price of rent because raising the wage is artificial and decreases the value of money, leading to inflation. You cannot help poor people by making it more expensive for poor people to live, let alone making it harder for them to find better paying jobs because the forced wage increase forces many business to close or lay people off. Not to mention the man who is making more than minimum wage already is not getting a pay increase, therefore he is now making less and he will find it harder to live.

The way to counter this is to lower taxes, allowing people to keep more of their money so they can afford to buy things, which also allows businesses to thrive and hire more people, and to stop forcing a wage increase and let the free market handle it's value. This will cause the value of money to increase, making it worth more, and through competition force businesses to lower their prices on goods and services, making them cheaper for more to afford. This also applies to homes and rents, allowing them to become cheaper and more affordable. It's not necessarily about the higher number of the wage, it's about how much market value that wage has. A wage of $10 an hour will buy you a lot more in Texas than a wage of $10 in California.

Of course certain factors in the Cost of Living have nothing to do with taxes or raising the wages, factors such as location will make rentals more, and even sometimes prices on goods and services. Choosing to rent a home in a beach town will cost more because the location is prime real estate as opposed to living out in the middle of the desert. Choosing to live in say Alaska or Hawaii will cost more because of their isolation, and in the case of Hawaii it's great weather and scenery. But by and large the cause of a high Cost of Living is due to having a high tax burden and raising the minimum wage.

I don't know why I have to explain all this though, it's simple economics. Liberals don't understand economics, they are all about emotion, not logic. The economy does not care about how you feel, it only cares about what works. It's basically like understanding a math equation, 1+1=2. It doesn't matter if you disagree with it, it doesn't matter if you want to change the numbers, 1+1=2 and it always will be. Liberals want to do 1+5=100 and that doesn't make any sense, it's completely illogical, but they just don't get it.

Last edited by West Coast Republican; 08-03-2014 at 07:46 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 07:39 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,809,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
And how would you define a living wage?
No, teens and tweens are entitled to low paying entry level jobs for experience. Unfortunately, we have an oversold job market filled with illegals and millions of newly minted unemployed exchanging their former good jobs for crap jobs.

This is why teen unemployment is over 25%, with college grads at nearly 17% and in debt an average of $30k.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Also, $500/month is absurd considering how many roommates you have.

The entire living situation here is absurd. I rent a room from a volatile drunk. He rents the house from the owner and then rents out the extra bedrooms at a steep markup. I am not enjoying the economy of scale one would expect with four roommates. He has not worked a day in the past six years, and needs a way to pay for his booze and his smokes and his women and his gambling.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:45 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,809,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I have never been forced to take a job and never been forced to stay at a job
Then how do you pay your bills?

From the time I was 17 on I have always had to work, that is if I wanted to pay my bills, eat, drive, stay warm, live in a home rather than on the street, enjoy life.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:46 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,284,143 times
Quote:
The entire living situation here is absurd. I rent a room from a volatile drunk. He rents the house from the owner and then rents out the extra bedrooms at a steep markup. I am not enjoying the economy of scale one would expect with four roommates. He has not worked a day in the past six years, and needs a way to pay for his booze and his smokes and his women and his gambling.
Can't you rent a room directly from a landlord? That's what I would do anyway. $500/month would get you a place in Chicago with 2 other roommates.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:48 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,949,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Then how do you pay your bills?

From the time I was 17 on I have always had to work, that is if I wanted to pay my bills, eat, drive, stay warm, live in a home rather than on the street, enjoy life.
I never said I didn't work.. I said I have never been forced to take or keep a given job. I started working at 14. I am 62 and still work a young mans job every day. I enjoy what I do. I have had entry level positions in the past. I just "chose" not to stay in them. There are always options. One just has to be willing to exercise those options. Personally, whining has never been one of my options.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Or motivated enough to either find something better or make himself more marketable, thus earning a better wage or better working conditions elsewhere? What a concept!

I have some self-employment skills selling online, and existing inventory sufficient to live on for 6 months or so. But I have no room to keep my inventory here, nor the sane living environment I need to be most productive so selling is much more tedious, cumbersome, and slow than it should be. If I had 400 sq ft of living space and a sane living environment, I believe I could make $50K a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies