Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 01:06 PM

14,021 posts, read 5,668,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemdawg99 View Post
Gee, I wonder if the OP is aware of what can happen when blacks gain too much political and financial power......

A GASTRONOMIC TOUR THROUGH BLACK HISTORY/BHM 2012: BLACK WALL STREET – WHEN TULSA BURNED
Almost 100 years ago, long before the DoJ was weaponized into the prosecutor's office of the NAACP, sure, stuff like that happened.

Hey, wasn't there a riot in 1992 with successful Korean-American owned businesses in a predominantly black neighborhood targeted by the rioting mobs based in part on economic resentment similar to the Tulsa riot of 1921? Who were the rioting aggressors in 1992 again?

Of note on this interesting parallel....in the 1921 Tulsa riot, the white mob was fired up by agitation based on a white girl being dissed by a black guy. In 1992's LA riots, the black mob was fired up about a black girl being dissed by a Korean guy. Hey wait, wasn't the angry black mob in the Crown Heights riots fired up because a black kid was dissed by a Jewish guy?

You know, it seems to me that angry mobs all respond to a similar catalyst. Find any symbol whatsoever, make it a feeble, tenuous justification, and off you go, a' riotin'.

Last edited by Volobjectitarian; 08-07-2014 at 01:18 PM..

Old 08-07-2014, 01:07 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,455,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
A lot of people say affirmative action helped the black community. The older generation often state how it helped them (Colin Powell for example), but when you look at the stats and history, affirmative action may lead to something of a death knell for the black community. Why do I say this? Before affirmative action, we had more black businesses and black people patronizing those businesses. Of course they had no choice back in those days, but black people had a measure of wealth as a result. More money stayed within the black community. Yet after the Civil Rights Movement, integration, and the introduction of affirmative action, black people started to leave their own businesses and began working for white ownership. Today we are no better than our sharecropping ancestors, who owned nothing and given scraps to live on. The worse of it all, those scraps, the money black people earn, doesn't stay within the black community. We go out and spend our money at Wal-mart, Sears, Chinese Restaurants, Japanese Restaurants, Italian Restaurants, and so on. Very few black people support their own, and in fact we jump over black own businesses to give our money away to other groups.

We are the only racial group who don't support their own businesses. As a result, black people have no wealth today. We own as much of the country's wealth today, as free black people in 1860, when most black people were slaves in this country. With all that said, black people need to get smart and protest for the end of affirmative action. (By the way it's funny when white women sue schools over affirmative action, when in fact they have benefited from it more than all black people.)
It's not so much affirmative action but pursuing political capital before economic capital. Power comes from money not begging others to like or include you.

Booker T was right.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,279,475 times
What does Affirmative Action have to do with the fate of black businesses?

Old 08-07-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's not so much affirmative action but pursuing political capital before economic capital. Power comes from money not begging others to like or include you.

Booker T was right.
Spot on. Not that I blame blacks for getting it backwards...we had limited understanding of how the system works. Booker T. Washington was quite prescient for the times. We should have listened.

The OP's argument made no sense to me.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Almost 100 years ago, long before the DoJ was weaponized into the prosecutor's office of the NAACP, sure, stuff like that happened.

Hey, wasn't there a riot in 1992 with successful Korean-American owned businesses in a predominantly black neighborhood targeted by the rioting mobs based in part on economic resentment similar to the Tulsa riot of 1921? Who were the rioting aggressors in 1992 again?
I'm not so sure how big a role resentment played in it.

What i do know is that black folks resented how they were often treated in those stores.

Add the shooting of Latasha Harlans...a teenager shot in the head by a Korean store owner, that was a bomb ready for detonation.

Especially when the shooter got off with probation.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:21 PM

14,021 posts, read 5,668,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm not so sure how big a role resentment played in it.

What i do know is that black folks resented how they were often treated in those stores.

Add the shooting of Natasha Harlans...a teenager shot in the head by a Korean store owner, that was a bomb ready for detonation.
See my amended comments.

In 1921, white mob gets angry at black minority over white girl dissed by black guy...commence riot.
In 1991, black mob gets angry at Jewish minority over black kid dissed by Jewish guy...commence riot.
In 1992, black mob gets angry at Korean minority over black girl dissed by Korean guy...commence riot.

See a pattern? Seek justification...commence riot against numerical minority.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:22 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,484,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

Of note on this interesting parallel....in the 1921 Tulsa riot, the white mob was fired up by agitation based on a white girl being dissed by a black guy. In 1992's LA riots, the black mob was fired up about a black girl being dissed by a Korean guy. Hey wait, wasn't the angry black mob in the Crown Heights riots fired up because a black kid was dissed by a Jewish guy?

You know, it seems to me that angry mobs all respond to a similar catalyst. Find any symbol whatsoever, make it a feeble, tenuous justification, and off you go, a' riotin'.
What about the Kartinia debacle in New Orleans where the Blacks shot at the first responder helicopters trying to rescue folks, were shown on tv carting off tv's and booze from flooded stores, and raping their own females inside the Super Dome? Impressive indeed.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:52 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,809,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I had to edit because this has nothing to d with Affirmative Action. This is actually about intergration (sp).

I "kinda" agree when it comes to circulating Black dollars but that is up to US to spend in our community. We have been duped by entertainers and rappers to spend our money on high priced items in malls and other stores instead of buying affordable clothing and accessories from local businesses.
(integration)

I agree with you. I think AA worked at first, but has now gone long past the bell curve. Unfortunately, when results do not materialize as expected or projected, politicians tend to "do something" to fix it. This would be the case in demanding that police, fire fighter, and student tests be skewed down for black applicants.

2000: The Impact of Score Differences on the Admission of Minority Students: An Illustration
In this paper, we discuss one of the arguments that has been advanced against the use of standardized college admissions tests: the notion that their use leads admissions officers to reject non-Asian minority students on the basis of small and insignificant differences in scores. We do not discuss in detail any of the numerous other arguments about college admissions testing, although we do briefly comment on two of them: the possibility of test bias against minorities, and the relative size of the gap between minority and non-minority students on admissions tests compared to the gaps shown on other achievement tests.

http://www.bc.edu/research/nbetpp/pu...ions/v1n5.html

2005: http://www.jbhe.com/news_views/51_gr...ions_test.html

2009: What do you think of this reasoning: If a given group doesn't perform as well as other groups on a test, then the exam is by definition discriminatory and should be discarded? This is the rationale that was applied to police-department exams in the 1970s in a bizarre application of government civil-rights legislation. It was part of a social-engineering effort to get more women and minorities on police forces and is why we now have a diversity within the ranks that has given us, among other things, miniature cops. I'm not even kidding. Some years ago in New York City I saw a 12-year-old girl going to a costume party dressed as a police officer. Or at least I thought I did, until I got closer and realized she was a member of New York's, uh, Finest.

SelwynDuke.com: Black Official Wants Test Made Easier for Blacks; Likens Blacks to Athletes, Not Students

2011: Judicial Watch, the public interest group that investigates and prosecutes government corruption, announced today that it has uncovered hundreds of documents from the City of Dayton, Ohio, showing that Department of Justice (DOJ) officials pressured the Dayton Police Department to lower testing standards because not enough African American candidates passed the written exam.
http://www.judicialwatch.org/press-r...ty-candidates/

US medical schools give preference to Blacks & Hispanics
http://fellowshipoftheminds.com/2012...cks-hispanics/

Affirmative action was never intended to lower standards, but rather to level the playing field. Politicians who try to fix things tend to make things worse.

Last edited by steven_h; 08-07-2014 at 03:03 PM..

Old 08-07-2014, 03:02 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,484,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Sisko View Post
The News outlets showed Whites looting also, however in typical White media fashion, They labeled the White hooligans as "SURVIVORS LOOKING FOR FOOD"

The Shooting of helicopters is nothing more than a myth perpetrated by white media. That 100% did not happen, and is just a figment of imagination in your genetically delusional mind. A first grader with minimal education is able to grasp the differences between what is myth and what is reality.

Debunking the Myths of Hurricane Katrina: Special Report - Popular Mechanics

ANARCHY DIDN'T TAKE OVER

MYTH: "They have people ... been in that frickin' Superdome for five days watching dead bodies, watching hooligans killing people, raping people."--New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Sept. 6, 2005

REALITY: Both public officials and the press passed along lurid tales of post-Katrina mayhem: shootouts in the Superdome, bodies stacked in a convention center freezer, snipers firing on rescue helicopters. And those accounts appear to have affected rescue efforts as first responders shifted resources from saving lives to protecting rescuers. In reality, although looting and other property crimes were widespread after the flooding on Monday, Aug. 29, almost none of the stories about violent crime turned out to be true. Col. Thomas Beron, the National Guard commander of Task Force Orleans, arrived at the Superdome on Aug. 29 and took command of 400 soldiers. He told PM that when the Dome's main power failed around 5 am, "it became a hot, humid, miserable place. There was some pushing, people were irritable. There was one attempted rape that the New Orleans police stopped."

The only confirmed account of a weapon discharge occurred when Louisiana Guardsman Chris Watt was jumped by an assailant and, during the chaotic arrest, accidently shot himself in the leg with his own M-16. When the Superdome was finally cleared, six bodies were found--not the 200 speculated. Four people had died of natural causes; one was ruled a suicide, and another a drug overdose. Of the four bodies recovered at the convention center, three had died of natural causes; the fourth had sustained stab wounds.

Anarchy in the streets? "The vast majority of people [looting] were taking food and water to live," says Capt. Marlon Defillo, the New Orleans Police Department's commander of public affairs. "There were no killings, not one murder." As for sniper fire: No bullet holes were found in the fuselage of any rescue helicopter.

NEXT TIME: "Rumors are fueled by a shortage of truth," says Ted Steinberg, author of Acts of God: The Unnatural History of Natural Disasters in America. And truth was the first casualty of the information breakdown that followed the storm. Hardening communications lines (see page 3) will benefit not just first responders, but also the media. Government officials have a vital role in informing the public. Ensuring the flow of accurate information should be part of disaster planning at local, state and federal levels.
Ray Nagin, Really? Isn't he in prison?

I know it's true. I saw it on TV.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:09 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,809,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Sisko View Post
The News outlets showed Whites looting also, however in typical White media fashion, They labeled the White hooligans as "SURVIVORS LOOKING FOR FOOD"

The Shooting of helicopters is nothing more than a myth perpetrated by white media. That 100% did not happen, and is just a figment of imagination in your genetically delusional mind. A first grader with minimal education is able to grasp the differences between what is myth and what is reality.

Debunking the Myths of Hurricane Katrina: Special Report - Popular Mechanics

ANARCHY DIDN'T TAKE OVER

MYTH: "They have people ... been in that frickin' Superdome for five days watching dead bodies, watching hooligans killing people, raping people."--New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Sept. 6, 2005

REALITY: Both public officials and the press passed along lurid tales of post-Katrina mayhem: shootouts in the Superdome, bodies stacked in a convention center freezer, snipers firing on rescue helicopters. And those accounts appear to have affected rescue efforts as first responders shifted resources from saving lives to protecting rescuers. In reality, although looting and other property crimes were widespread after the flooding on Monday, Aug. 29, almost none of the stories about violent crime turned out to be true. Col. Thomas Beron, the National Guard commander of Task Force Orleans, arrived at the Superdome on Aug. 29 and took command of 400 soldiers. He told PM that when the Dome's main power failed around 5 am, "it became a hot, humid, miserable place. There was some pushing, people were irritable. There was one attempted rape that the New Orleans police stopped."

The only confirmed account of a weapon discharge occurred when Louisiana Guardsman Chris Watt was jumped by an assailant and, during the chaotic arrest, accidently shot himself in the leg with his own M-16. When the Superdome was finally cleared, six bodies were found--not the 200 speculated. Four people had died of natural causes; one was ruled a suicide, and another a drug overdose. Of the four bodies recovered at the convention center, three had died of natural causes; the fourth had sustained stab wounds.

Anarchy in the streets? "The vast majority of people [looting] were taking food and water to live," says Capt. Marlon Defillo, the New Orleans Police Department's commander of public affairs. "There were no killings, not one murder." As for sniper fire: No bullet holes were found in the fuselage of any rescue helicopter.

NEXT TIME: "Rumors are fueled by a shortage of truth," says Ted Steinberg, author of Acts of God: The Unnatural History of Natural Disasters in America. And truth was the first casualty of the information breakdown that followed the storm. Hardening communications lines (see page 3) will benefit not just first responders, but also the media. Government officials have a vital role in informing the public. Ensuring the flow of accurate information should be part of disaster planning at local, state and federal levels.
It was all concocted so they could get away with their marshal law and the illegal forced entry searches and disarming of every gun owner. It was an example of how the government didn't let a good disaster go to waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Ray Nagin, Really? Isn't he in prison?

I know it's true. I saw it on TV.

Yep, 10 years!
Nagin, 58, was ordered to report to federal prison Sept. 8 and to pay restitution of $82,000. He was found guilty Feb. 12 of fraud, bribery and related charges involving crimes that took place before and after Katrina devastated the city in August 2005.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...cing/12397415/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies