Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 09:31 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
So every business that has a view that is different then someone else should be shut down? I guess all business owners should all believe the same things in politics, religion, what TV shows they like. Just because a lot of people believe in a view does not mean everyone should nor means it is right. One of the reasons people open businesses is so they can create the business how they want and that means serving who they want.
Your above statement rebuts nothing I said, nor does it make a point. I did not say that "every business that has a view that is different then someone else should be shut down." What I did say was that the actions of this business owner caused her serious societal recourse, which in turn, was bad for her business. Once again, had she done something spectacular that went viral in which the masses agreed--her business would be flourishing. Once again, people like you are just peeved that the MAJORITY...SUPPORTS THE LESBIANS in this case!

Old 08-14-2014, 09:36 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
All businesses in this country should have the right to refuse
service to any patron for any reason except that it would place
that patron in physical danger to refuse service.

Snowball code of public law 444.12.5B

Old 08-14-2014, 09:42 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Your above statement rebuts nothing I said, nor does it make a point. I did not say that "every business that has a view that is different then someone else should be shut down." What I did say was that the actions of this business owner caused her serious societal recourse, which in turn, was bad for her business. Once again, had she done something spectacular that went viral in which the masses agreed--her business would be flourishing. Once again, people like you are just peeved that the MAJORITY...SUPPORTS THE LESBIANS in this case!
In essence that is what you are saying you are saying it is okay for the company to lose business and be shut down because they stated their opinion which is different then yours. Just because some people do not shop there anymore does not mean the majority support them you do not know that.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Are you not rejoicing that you accomplished your goal of shutting down somebody who does not nor ever will agree with you? You all must be ecstatic. Keep in mind that the court of public opinion is squarely on the side of the shop keepers. Just some food for thought that the next little darlings should remember next time they set out to destroy someone's livelihood which I am sure they are just itching to do.
Technically, you should be rejoicing in this one. The shop owner has FULL LEGAL RIGHT in Bloomsburg, PA to discriminate who she serves based on sexual orientation. So, currently, your wish is true. Any business can refuse a person because of his or her sexual orientation in this town. (Not in Pittsburgh or Allegheny County because we're smarter than that and have had sexual orientation included in anti-discrimination laws for a while) ... What the business owner experienced was societal outrage and backlash. That, apparently, is having a negative effect on her business...shocker. YOU are just mad that the MAJORITY supports the lesbian couple in this argument. If the majority did NOT support the lesbian couple, this woman's business would be just fine. But, it turns out that, that a LOT of people, not just lesbians, find the business owner's actions disgusting. So disgusting that Bloomsburg, PA is considering adding sexual orientation to their town anti-discrimination policy.

Bloomsburg May Consider Same-Sex Discrimination Ban | WNEP.com

Old 08-14-2014, 09:48 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It does seem like some people want to live in a world where dress shop and bakery shop owners can put up signs saying "No Gays, Irish, Jews or Blacks Welcome" and as long as the shop owners are in the vastly overwhelming majority, their business will not suffer at all. Who cares if 1% or 3% of the population are refused service, who needs 'em, eh.
As long as the business owner Did serve those people, are you sure that sign would be illegal ?

Is there any circumstance where a business should keep the right to discriminate ? If a printer refuses to print fund raising invitations for the Tea Party or the ACLU or a candidate they disagree with, should it be illegal ? Should a car dealership or bank be banned from discriminating based on credit or employment history ?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:50 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Really?
Apparently so.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:59 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
In essence that is what you are saying you are saying it is okay for the company to lose business and be shut down because they stated their opinion which is different then yours. Just because some people do not shop there anymore does not mean the majority support them you do not know that.

Seems to me that is the free market at work. Don't get me wrong, I support a business's rights to refuse service to whomever they please. However; when you do so, you then run the risk of p***ing off the public or your other customers, therefore losing profit. There is always someone else waiting in the wings to pick up the slack.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
L.O.L.

Do you not understand how a business operates or how the economy works?

What I'm saying is that a business owner is responsible for his or her business. Just because a business exists and is owned by some old sap trying to make a living does not guarantee him or her a profit. If I quit my job and open some poorly managed business, will people just take pity on me and patronize me because that's my livelihood? I think not.

Have YOU ever complained about service you've received at any form of business establishment? If you have, you did exactly what these two women did. It turns out, that your complaints didn't gain the interest of the masses like the complaints of these two women. The masses clearly DO support the couple in this case. If they didn't WHY has this woman's business suffered? If the general public read the social media blurbs and read the reviews about this woman's business and DIDN'T CARE that a lesbian couple was discriminated against, her business would be just fine. But, it turns out that people clearly DO care because her business has suffered.

What do you think happened to larger places like Ames Department Store? Hills Department Store? Hechinger's Home Improvement Centers? These places lost their customer bases. Management is responsible for not keeping up with the needs and wants of their customers, therefore, they lost the necessary business they needed to continue in a profitable manner.

When a business, large or small, can't keep its customers happy, they lose business. In this case, the shop owner not only ticked off potential customers, but she offended people. Therefore, she lost business. It really is that simple of a concept. If you can't at least agree with the basic concept of how a business gains and loses customers, then there's no point in arguing further. You clearly can't or won't grasp a basic economic concept.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:03 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
As long as the business owner Did serve those people, are you sure that sign would be illegal ?

Is there any circumstance where a business should keep the right to discriminate ? If a printer refuses to print fund raising invitations for the Tea Party or the ACLU or a candidate they disagree with, should it be illegal ? Should a car dealership or bank be banned from discriminating based on credit or employment history ?
I was not discussing whether the sign was legal or not, the point is that people are essentially doing the same thing, without the benefit of the sign.

Yes there are times when a business owner can refuse to perform a task or service for a customer, but selling them a dress is not one of them.

If a person was asked to perform the actual marriage ceremony, and he refused on religious grounds, that would be his choice. However driving the Limo to the building where the marriage takes place, or providing the couple the shoes they wore, or disagreeing with the political views of a customer who wants fliers printed up, would not.

Selling someone a pair of shoes or pants is not akin to you endorsing their religion, or their marriage, they are just clothes.

Why can business owners refuse selling a gay couple cakes, clogs, Cokes, cassettes, camcorders, cheese burgers, candy, caps, coats, carnations, chairs, confetti...? And those are just a few of the many bits of merchandise that begin with the letter C.

Last edited by OICU812; 08-14-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 08-14-2014, 10:12 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

These are two completely different things. Business decisions based on ability for both parties to fulfill a contract are obviously not discriminatory.

And no, it should not be illegal for businesses to not serve people based on their political affiliations. Although it would be insane business practice.

Again, providing a service to a customer does not constitute endorsement on the behalf of the proprietor.

Businesses who discriminate based on personal preferences of their customers will not be in business for long, as I'm sure there are many many people we disagree with walking through our doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies