Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you identify your belief system?
Liberal 59 27.19%
Conservative 72 33.18%
Neither 77 35.48%
None of your business!! 9 4.15%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 01:54 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times

Advertisements

Not trying to start any flame wars. I'm truly interested in how people might identify themselves. I love you all the same!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 02:34 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
I wouldn't call myself either...... I do my best not to wear a label.... Labels tend to box you in to a pre-determined school of thought and do not allow for open mindedness or free thought.....

Old 08-09-2014, 02:54 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
I would consider myself Libertarian (in the minimalist, limited government sense, not the "I want to smoke pot" one not song Libertarians), but generally hold my nose and vote conservative, because there is no strong Libertarian presence in politics, and at it's heart, Libertarianism is a philosophy that sets up potential tyranny from either Left or Right if it is not vigilantly protected.

The left is too oriented towards large centralized government solutions that have a "one size fits all" approach based on the needs and problems of the NE or West coasts, so I find myself a conservative by default.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:40 PM

25,743 posts, read 18,809,520 times
I believe in liberty -- with the understanding that personal liberty requires respect for others' right to that same personal liberty and self-determination. Otherwise it is not true liberty, but tyranny or despotism.

I cannot fully support any political party who would enslave some for the benefit of others. I do not believe in coerced collectivism. Any collective effort must be chosen and embraced by each participant -- otherwise it is, at best, soft-slavery.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
For many years living in the U.S. I definitely considered myself a liberal, but as American liberalism degenerated into political sentimentalism and political correctness, it was obviously not a philosophy to guide anything bigger than a kindergarten. As for the so-called "conservatives" in the U.S., they are not conservatives in the classic sense but throwbacks to 19th century nativist hysteria mixed together with Evangelical Christian would-be talibanism, and topped off with a good roll in the sack with America's financial oligarchy.

I dropped the labels and rejected the politicking of both major parties.

By the time it came to a choice between Bush II and Al Gore I had emigrated.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:42 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
I can't see any difference in the direction this country is going in (wrong way, IMHO) regardless of the party in office. We have the same wars, over-spending, over-regulation and general foolishness. When one administration leaves office, the next picks up where that one left off. Nothing changes.

In addition to that, the quality of the candidates is in the tank and sinking deeper. Last several elections, you had a choice between Tweedledum and Tweedledumber. We should all brace ourselves for the possibility that 2016 will give us a choice between Hillary and Bush III. Did I say "choice"???

Until somebody puts up a candidate worth voting for, I refuse to vote. If everybody stopped voting for the "lesser of two evils", we might make some progress. If they threw an election and nobody won because nobody got any votes, it might clear out some of the rascals.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:58 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
...Until somebody puts up a candidate worth voting for, I refuse to vote. If everybody stopped voting for the "lesser of two evils", we might make some progress. If they threw an election and nobody won because nobody got any votes, it might clear out some of the rascals.
Maybe someone out there remembers this in better detail. But it seems to me that at one time the citizens of Sao Paulo, Brazil were so disgusted with the level of political shenanigans in their city that they started a write-in campaign for a hippo or some creature in the city zoo. And the animal won.

Just found it!........................It was a rhino, named Cacareco, and the year was 1958. The city authorities refused to allow a non-human candidate, but he got more write-in votes than any party running anyway.

Last edited by kevxu; 08-10-2014 at 08:07 AM..

Old 08-10-2014, 09:12 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I can't see any difference in the direction this country is going in (wrong way, IMHO) regardless of the party in office. We have the same wars, over-spending, over-regulation and general foolishness. When one administration leaves office, the next picks up where that one left off. Nothing changes.

In addition to that, the quality of the candidates is in the tank and sinking deeper. Last several elections, you had a choice between Tweedledum and Tweedledumber. We should all brace ourselves for the possibility that 2016 will give us a choice between Hillary and Bush III. Did I say "choice"???

Until somebody puts up a candidate worth voting for, I refuse to vote. If everybody stopped voting for the "lesser of two evils", we might make some progress. If they threw an election and nobody won because nobody got any votes, it might clear out some of the rascals.
Doom and gloom without an ounce of truth. We have ended our wars, the economy has recovered, and major health care reform was passed under the current administration. The last two administrations were hardly equal.

I am most closely defined as a liberal. I'll be conservative when American society reaches its apex. Given our resistance to efficient infrastructure, universal health care, and subsidized higher education, I doubt that will happen any time soon.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:41 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Doom and gloom without an ounce of truth. We have ended our wars, the economy has recovered, and major health care reform was passed under the current administration. The last two administrations were hardly equal.
OK - I will bite. What has gotten better with the new healthcare laws? We have extended crappy coverage to more people? Instead of getting rid of the whole insurance scheme and middle-men, instead of reforming the lawsuit rules, instead of curbing the idea that every doctor should be a millionaire and every hospital administrator should drive a Mercedes, instead of curbing the COSTS of this "healthcare", instead of forcing all providers to publish a PRICE LIST AHEAD OF TIME, PRIOR TO PROVIDING SERVICE, all we have done is extend a crappy, 3rd world rip-off "system" to more people. Let's guess who will profit from it (again)?

We ended wars? Really? Did we end the war on drugs? The war on terror? These cost trillions over years with no clear objectives or results, well, except the one that curtailed your freedoms at home.

How about the surveillance disgrace, the rising police state? Is this something a "constitutional law professor" currently in charge studied in law school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I am most closely defined as a liberal. I'll be conservative when American society reaches its apex. Given our resistance to efficient infrastructure, universal health care, and subsidized higher education, I doubt that will happen any time soon.
I am for all of the above you outlined but done for the people, not for another special interest to profit off of.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:59 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordylordy View Post
ok - i will bite. What has gotten better with the new healthcare laws? We have extended crappy coverage to more people? Instead of getting rid of the whole insurance scheme and middle-men, instead of reforming the lawsuit rules, instead of curbing the idea that every doctor should be a millionaire and every hospital administrator should drive a mercedes, instead of curbing the costs of this "healthcare", instead of forcing all providers to publish a price list ahead of time, prior to providing service, all we have done is extend a crappy, 3rd world rip-off "system" to more people. Let's guess who will profit from it (again)?

We ended wars? Really? Did we end the war on drugs? The war on terror? These cost trillions over years with no clear objectives or results, well, except the one that curtailed your freedoms at home.

How about the surveillance disgrace, the rising police state? Is this something a "constitutional law professor" currently in charge studied in law school?

I am for all of the above you outlined but done for the people, not for another special interest to profit off of.
^^^ bravo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies