Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 08:10 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,977,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's true, it wasn't his decision. Stop fake crying about it, already
It also wasn't in his power to declare the Senate in recess, it wasn't in his power (not his decision to make) to adjust dates in Obamacare, etc, etc, but he did them.

The real issue, is revealed in his OWN WORDS " in part because Iraqis were tired of a U.S. occupation," and it was that he was using the language of the anti-colonialists. He has consistently been against our interests and consistently sides with our enemies, unless he simply has no other choice.

Obama wants us to be no longer an economic, military, or social global power, and for others to take that role. If that means massive poverty here and race conflict... even better.

D'Souza was completely right in his first movie about Obama's motivations and beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 08:11 AM

26,546 posts, read 15,116,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It was Iraq's decision. That is what is explained in the article and is clear from his remark when read in context. To paraphrase, he said that Iraq wanted US troops out and now is living with the consequences of that decision. He is right on that count. His remark is in no way reflecting any regrets or misgivings about leaving. It was the right thing to do regardless regardless of Iraq's desires. It was strongly supported by the people then and it still is. Get out, stay out. Obama did the right thing.
Vote for me, I will pull the troops out.

Vote for me again, I did pull the troops out.

The reason there are no troops there is Bush's plan from before I was elected and those Iraqis wouldn't let me leave some.

This makes perfect sense as not a contradiction if you can stare dreamily at this picture:

Old 08-11-2014, 08:16 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,517,107 times
Quote:
It was Iraq's decision. That is what is explained in the article and is clear from his remark when read in context. To paraphrase, he said that Iraq wanted US troops out and now is living with the consequences of that decision. He is right on that count. His remark is in no way reflecting any regrets or misgivings about leaving. It was the right thing to do regardless regardless of Iraq's desires. It was strongly supported by the people then and it still is. Get out, stay out.

Obama did the right thing.
So, Obama wanted to do the wrong thing, leave troops there, but was forced by Iraq to do the right thing, not leave troops there. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of his judgment or decision making.

Unless he never intended to negotiate a new SOFA, take credit for removing the troops, and then when things fell apart put the decision back on Iraq and the guy who hasn't been prez for 6 1/2 years.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:19 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,233,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's true, it wasn't his decision. Stop fake crying about it, already
He is the commander in chief . He could have changed course . By choosing to go with the bush plan he could take credit for being president at the time as both he and joe claimed Iraq qua secure end at the same time blame bush if things turned bad . While the whole time taking no responsibility foe what happens 6 years after becoming the commander I'm chief.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:20 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,689,942 times
Quote:
It was Iraq's decision. That is what is explained in the article and is clear from his remark when read in context. To paraphrase, he said that Iraq wanted US troops out and now is living with the consequences of that decision. He is right on that count. His remark is in no way reflecting any regrets or misgivings about leaving. It was the right thing to do regardless regardless of Iraq's desires. It was strongly supported by the people then and it still is. Get out, stay out. Obama did the right thing.
They wanted to end the current offensive roll played by our military, not just pull out completely and leave them in the lurch as Obama did. Obama just wanted a complete pull out, and he got it.

What the senior American military commanders told me was that every single senior political leader, no matter what party or what group, including Maliki, said to them privately, we want you to stay. We don’t want you to fight. We don’t want combat troops. We don’t want Americans getting killed, but we want 10,000 American troops inside the Green Zone training our army, giving us intelligence, playing that crucial role as the broker and interlocutor that makes our system work. We want you to stay. In public they said very different things because at that point, you know, after nine years, the Americans were not very popular and the Iraqi politicians had all made names for themselves bashing the Americans.

What We Left Behind In Iraq - NPR

Old 08-11-2014, 08:23 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,303,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Obama " hey i got more important things to do-- ride my girly bike around Martha's vineyard"

Obama: Pulling All U.S. Troops Out of Iraq Was Not 'My Decision' | CNS News
Truly conservatives have no shame.

Really for any conservative who supported this disastrous war, which was correctly predicted by many, many, many, many Americans including President Obama, would turn out to be an epic quagmire and failure that would ensnare the US government into a many decades long commitment into occupying Iraq, that this war would strengthen Iran, and destabilize parts of the Middle East, please be quiet.

You'd think this epic failure, the fact that conservatives were so wrong would cause conservative's to shut up about Iraq.

Nope, instead they engaging in a massive delusional campaign in which the failure of Iraq isn't because of their insane cheer leading us into this war, but President Obama's fault.

See, the new conservative lie is that all was well in Iraq before President Obama took over.

Truly conservatives are fundamentally dishonest people.

Iraq has been a disaster since the beginning. Now 12 years later it's President Obama's fault that you uninformed people cheer leaded us into to this quagmire?

Old 08-11-2014, 08:24 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
So, Obama wanted to do the wrong thing, leave troops there, but was forced by Iraq to do the right thing, not leave troops there. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of his judgment or decision making.

Unless he never intended to negotiate a new SOFA, take credit for removing the troops, and then when things fell apart put the decision back on Iraq and the guy who hasn't been prez for 6 1/2 years.
I did not say that. Maybe he did, maybe he did not. I guess we won't know until he builds his library. I do believe we would have left some troops there had the SOFA we wanted been accepted. That would have been a mistake in my opinion. In any case, the right decision was made and we should be grateful.

He is making a mistake by getting us involved in that mess again, though, I am afraid. The collapse of Iraq into sectarian war was inevitable the day we invaded and deposed Saddam. Our blood and money can only delay it.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:24 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,109,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Obama " hey i got more important things to do-- ride my girly bike around Martha's vineyard"

Obama: Pulling All U.S. Troops Out of Iraq Was Not 'My Decision' | CNS News

Did you bother to read your own link?? He wasn't going to leave troops in Iraq with the possibility that they could be charged and tried in an Iraqi court under Sharia Law. Or do you think he should have gone along with that condition? It would have meant that a US military member could be arrested on trumped up charges and there would be nothing that the US could do.

Like so many others, there's a war going on between you and Obama. Obama apparently won. He's living in your head 24/7.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:30 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,109,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
He made zero effort to negotiate the SOFA agreement. He wanted an excuse to cut and run.
Were you there when the US and Iraq were negotiating the SOFA agreement? Did you read the article?

Iraq knew that the US would not agree to exposing service members to the possibility of being arrested and tried in a Sharia court - where the US could not interfere. More like Iraq forcing Obama's hand to withdraw.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,303,649 times
It is astonishing that a single conservative would be in this thread. Truly, every bad case scenario that was predicted about this war came true. The people who said don't go to war in Iraq were right.

conservatives were wrong, and from the start The Iraq war was a quagmire. We couldn't exist Iraq because there had been a civil war brewing SINCE conservatives created a power vacuum in Iraq, that's why we weren't out by 2003 or 2004 or 2005 or 2006 or 2007 or 2008 because the policy was a failure. Nothing we did accomplished anything at all

We spent how much money training the Iraqi Military, how'd that turn out?

We spent how much money erecting an Iraqi government, how'd that turn out?

The conservative strategy in Iraq is the John McCain strategy that we occupy the nation for a hundred years against their will just so Iraq won't be an epic failure.

And President Obama's refusal to sign onto a hundred year occupation to cover up the epic failure if conservatives in getting us into this war is what President Obama did wrong.

Seriously the conservative strategy is that we should still be in Iraq fighting.

They want to triple down on their epic failure.

That's the only criticism that can be made of President Obama, is that according to conservatives we should still be fighting a war in Iraq.

I mean conservatives are insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies