Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 02:18 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,969,867 times

Advertisements

I saw this article today and thought it might bring on some interesting discussion. It concerns lawmakers efforts in Calif. to establish when sex is consensual on college campuses. Its an effort to reduce the number of sexual assaults. I'm glad I'm not a guy in college these days. Talk about a mine field. Every time you got intimate with a young lady you'd have to be concerned that she might later charge you with sexual assault. Maybe the only solution is to make the people involved sign a contract each time stating that it is consensual sex. They'd probably need to take a quick breathalizer test, since a drunk woman, according to the article is not able to be responsible. They should probably get a notary too, lol.

California debates 'yes means yes' sex assault law - New York News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 02:35 PM

2,826 posts, read 4,008,179 times
Will the notary stamp be in the shape of a mushroom?

Old 08-11-2014, 02:38 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,224,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I saw this article today and thought it might bring on some interesting discussion. It concerns lawmakers efforts in Calif. to establish when sex is consensual on college campuses. Its an effort to reduce the number of sexual assaults. I'm glad I'm not a guy in college these days. Talk about a mine field. Every time you got intimate with a young lady you'd have to be concerned that she might later charge you with sexual assault. Maybe the only solution is to make the people involved sign a contract each time stating that it is consensual sex. They'd probably need to take a quick breathalizer test, since a drunk woman, according to the article is not able to be responsible. They should probably get a notary too, lol.

California debates 'yes means yes' sex assault law - New York News
Doesn't really seem like an LOL-worthy topic to me.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:38 PM

943 posts, read 1,006,875 times
I object to these kinds of threads. It gives certain people a platform to tell 'their' side of the story...one which a jury may have found to be irrelevant, if you get my drift.
Not only that, but sexual assault is a very personal experience, a very damaging experience. And reading things like this for someone who may have had it happen to them-even years ago, is triggering.
Please don't.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:41 PM

364 posts, read 372,101 times
Opening the door for regret rape cases.

It boggles my mind how men have to responsible for a woman's decision. If you drink and have sex, you should be responsible for your own decisions, just like if you get behind the wheel.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:42 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,460,123 times
It is not sexual assault when someone goes to the bar drunk, says yes while drunk, and then wakes up the next day and says "Oh crap, I made a horrible mistake" or "I don't remember anything past that shot of Tequilla".

To many men have gone to jail over that very same example.

When is it rape? When there is force, when someone says no or stop, or when someone knocks you out with a drug that you didn't know you were taking. Thats rape.

It really is annoying for a man to see a woman walk into a bar, dressed provocatively, someone takes her home after shes drank about 10, and then suddenly it was his fault the next day.

Sorry, change the woman and man around in that statement, and most people wouldn't consider it rape.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:43 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,224,396 times
And here we go ....

Old 08-11-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It is not sexual assault when someone goes to the bar drunk, says yes while drunk, and then wakes up the next day and says "Oh crap, I made a horrible mistake" or "I don't remember anything past that shot of Tequilla".

To many men have gone to jail over that very same example.

When is it rape? When there is force, when someone says no or stop, or when someone knocks you out with a drug that you didn't know you were taking. Thats rape.

It really is annoying for a man to see a woman walk into a bar, dressed provocatively, someone takes her home after shes drank about 10, and then suddenly it was his fault the next day.

Sorry, change the woman and man around in that statement, and most people wouldn't consider it rape.
Nailed it

Old 08-11-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
And here we go ....
I suppose women should be free from all responsibility in their decision making.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:48 PM

102,337 posts, read 108,588,979 times
This is nothing new. It's just that the White House has decided to back this issue, so it's being taken seriously by colleges and universities. I think it was back in the 90's when Harvard or Yale (maybe both) began to require verbal consent from women, prior to initiating sex. That was their new standard. Obviously, that's not supportable in court; it would still come down to he-said, she-said. But it was a new guideline that was given incoming Freshmen, along with the other students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies