Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:20 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,252,566 times

Advertisements

For those that make that exception, they are being totally hypocritical based on their personal bias against those acts.
The fact most of them base it on that those occurrences may be more psychologically difficult for the mother, they discount the possibly just as dire difficulties some other woman would have as not worthy reasons.
The fact that even those babies of those two particular instances can be given up for adoption (a shortage always of newborns) means they wouldn't have to raise them.
IOW, the main concern with these hypocrites is not the mother or the child...just their own feelings
Unless the life of the mother is at stake, it's either right or wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 06:21 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,270,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limetea View Post
Full disclosure going in, I am pro-choice and believe abortion should be a woman's legal right up until the point the fetus is viable with medical intervention. I believe that since we have no unanimous scientific/non-partisan consensus about when life begins we must lean toward less government oversight regarding reproductive rights and concede that we can all agree a baby, capable of living outside its mother's body even with the help of machines is unique individual with legal rights and protections. So anyway, that's my belief just to be open up front

I COMPLETELY understand and respect why people are pro-life. I can imagine if I believed it were murder I would also be adamantly opposed to it and I don't disrespect people who are pro-life nor label them as anti-woman or misogynistic. I admire their passion in fighting for the innocent lives they perceive as being lost.

Here's where I get stuck though, and I ask this question with genuine curiosity. I hear so many people say they are against abortion except in cases of rape or incest. By WHY this exemption? Surely if you believe it to be an innocent life it is innocent from the moment of conception regardless of how it was conceived? If it should have the rights of a full-term infant, why is it ok to terminate because at least one of its parents was a criminal or sexual deviant?

Thanks so much for helping me understand
I am unsurprised that this thread has gone on for six pages without one of the people you're addressing actually answering the question with the truth.

There's so much moral gymnastics going on here to hide their real agenda, we should all be holding up score cards.

The answer to your question, OP, is, and always has been, that they don't really care about abortion. They're perfectly comfortable making exceptions to the baby murder that they otherwise rave about because what they really want to stop is women having sex.

In their view, women should have sex only in order to procreate and then spend the rest of their lives popping out babies, raising children, and dying young, just like in the good old days.

Remember when the Hobby Lobby decision was handed down, and the right went wild applauding the end of "consequence-free sex?"

The Hobby Lobby decision and pop culture’s strange silence on birth control - The Washington Post

Remember Sandra Fluke, and how the right called her a sl*t? (Even though she took the pill for endometriosis... what's a silly fact got to do with this ugly agenda, right?)

Read some threads here for awhile. The right has no problem spending tax dollars on murdering civilians in Iraq, but by God, don't you dare allow my tax dollars help women have sex!!!!

You see the answer to your question, OP, has been in the open all the time. You just have to overlook the mouth-frothing lies they use to try to disguise it.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:31 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,589,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Full disclosure here. I'm a liberal homo atheist. I am 100% pro-life regardless of incest or rape. Life begins at conception. Punish the rapist, not the child.
ITA. An innocent life is an innocent life. I think that women need a lot of support if they are victims of rape or incest. Interestingly, I remember reading when I was working on a paper in psychology class in college that incest victims often welcome the pregnancy because it brings their plight to light and they see the resulting child as kind of their savior. You can't hide incest anymore when your 12 year old is pregnant.

In a case of rape, the choice is the woman living with having been assaulted and the knowledge that somewhere out there is a child who is loved and wanted or living with having been assaulted and having ordered the unborn child to be assaulted by the abortionist and the memory of having gone through the abortion.

On top of that is the that I believe an innocent life is an innocent life. Why did I deserve to die because my father attacked my mother? Am I some kind of monster? Am I less human than you are? What about me announces to those of you who think I should have been killed that I deserved to have died?

Old 08-12-2014, 07:44 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,280,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Fair enough so to answer your question. The reason for the exemptions is because you are never going to get a law passed without them.
Practically speaking, I believe that is it.

OP is correct that the exception is not exactly consistent with the rest of the pro-life rhetoric.

Abortion has been a pretty weak issue for the right wing IMHO, only made stronger in the last few years by the excesses of late term and partial birth abortions. Had we stuck to a sensible limit on how late an abortion could be performed, I think this would have become more and more of a fringe issue.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:46 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,280,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I am unsurprised that this thread has gone on for six pages without one of the people you're addressing actually answering the question with the truth.
Not at all, it was answered specifically by more than one poster on the first page alone. I just replied to the one that I thought was most realistic.

And there is another answer just above your own that does specifically address the OP's question.

Even if you've not read the 4 pages in between, these should have been pretty obvious.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:05 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,228,033 times
Quote:
Full disclosure going in, I am pro-choice and believe abortion should be a woman's legal right up until the point the fetus is viable with medical intervention. I believe that since we have no unanimous scientific/non-partisan consensus about when life begins we must lean toward less government oversight regarding reproductive rights and concede that we can all agree a baby, capable of living outside its mother's body even with the help of machines is unique individual with legal rights and protections. So anyway, that's my belief just to be open up front

I COMPLETELY understand and respect why people are pro-life. I can imagine if I believed it were murder I would also be adamantly opposed to it and I don't disrespect people who are pro-life nor label them as anti-woman or misogynistic. I admire their passion in fighting for the innocent lives they perceive as being lost.

Here's where I get stuck though, and I ask this question with genuine curiosity. I hear so many people say they are against abortion except in cases of rape or incest. By WHY this exemption? Surely if you believe it to be an innocent life it is innocent from the moment of conception regardless of how it was conceived? If it should have the rights of a full-term infant, why is it ok to terminate because at least one of its parents was a criminal or sexual deviant?

My rationale for this exemption is that the pregnancy was the result of a crime. I am comfortable with the idea of terminating a pregnancy where it was not a choice the mother made.

All other pregnancies were the result of an affirmative choice by the woman. If you create a new life by choice, you should not be able to terminate it. It does not matter to me where some say life begins. It is clearly not the same being as the woman - it has related but different DNA.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:11 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,473,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
What in the world are you talking about? Im not afraid or threatened by you at all. I think youre set in your decision to say its a womans right to decide. Thats not scary.

Whats scary is that its 5am EST and im fighting with you rather than getting much needed sleep. Goodnight for now.
Disagreeing with anything seen as a women's issue will invariably result in your being accused of being insecure about independent women. It is, and has been for years, the go-to kneejerk response. It's the equivalent of telling someone who doesn't like Obama that they are racist. It's a way of shutting down the discussion without needing to have an actual response to what was said.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:11 AM

18,412 posts, read 19,068,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
My rationale for this exemption is that the pregnancy was the result of a crime. I am comfortable with the idea of terminating a pregnancy where it was not a choice the mother made.

All other pregnancies were the result of an affirmative choice by the woman. If you create a new life by choice, you should not be able to terminate it. It does not matter to me where some say life begins. It is clearly not the same being as the woman - it has related but different DNA.

in other words it is about punishment for the women having sex. saying yes to sex is not saying yes to pregnancy. different DNA, so what? it has to gestate in a womb. no woman in america should be forced to carry a pregnancy to term against her will. and yes she can have all the sex she wants

Old 08-12-2014, 08:24 AM

939 posts, read 797,221 times
Quote:

You pose a good question. I am pro Life, but have always thought these types of exceptions should be made. Still, as you say- a life is a life- regardless of how it was concieved. I guess it's considered "asking too much" for a woman to bear a child under these circumstances.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:37 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,578,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
ITA. An innocent life is an innocent life. I think that women need a lot of support if they are victims of rape or incest. Interestingly, I remember reading when I was working on a paper in psychology class in college that incest victims often welcome the pregnancy because it brings their plight to light and they see the resulting child as kind of their savior. You can't hide incest anymore when your 12 year old is pregnant.

In a case of rape, the choice is the woman living with having been assaulted and the knowledge that somewhere out there is a child who is loved and wanted or living with having been assaulted and having ordered the unborn child to be assaulted by the abortionist and the memory of having gone through the abortion.

On top of that is the that I believe an innocent life is an innocent life. Why did I deserve to die because my father attacked my mother? Am I some kind of monster? Am I less human than you are? What about me announces to those of you who think I should have been killed that I deserved to have died?
I used to make an exception for rape. Then I talked to a child of rape and he changed my mind about it.

Like I said. Punish he rapist, not the child. Otherwise, we're really not better than middle eastern countries that punish rape victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies