Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 03:32 AM

792 posts, read 1,177,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
I'm black by the way and I have no idea what the term "going ghetto" means.
Right...

Old 08-16-2014, 03:39 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,113,361 times
Why do the black community demand respect and sympathy when many of the young black men, including this one, commit plenty of violent crimes against others? For instance, in NYC, black gangs and thugs target Asians specifically for beating and robbery because they think Asians are mild mannered and don't usually fight back. Is this racism? How do you gain respect when many of these young black men do not care for their own kids, leaving their girlfriends and mothers to raise their kids in poverty and perpetuating the same cycle? There are plenty of programs from education scholarships to job training for them, yet they prefer to be the thug bullies in all American cities. I know I am generalizing, but there are far more of this problem for black men than for others. If you want respect, you need to earn it. If you want people to look past your skin color, then you need to prove that you are worth more than just what your skin color suggests.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:07 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,747,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
If you don't believe govt. verified facts, then fine, but then there's no point in debating.

There is no real question that young African American males commit a wildly disproportionate amount of crime in the U.S., esp. violent crime. If you don't even agree on a point which is universally agreed upon by criminologists, researchers, community and law enforcement groups, then you're not living in reality.
And there's a whole slew of people who prefer to turn their head to facts, and just remain angry over perceived injustices.

And then we have race baiters like Sharpton and Jackson who *encourage* "their people" to turn a blind eye to the facts.

That's what this case comes down to: Facts. The media is culpable for inflaming and inciting low-information voters to GO CRAZY and lose their collective minds before any true facts were known. There's a reason we have a legal system, and (in theory), it's so impartial jurors can review the true facts before reaching a decision.

That's the theory.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:41 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,081,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
The outrage is understandable because the lethal force was unjustified. But if this hadn't happened the outrage that a 64% black town is home to a 94% white police force would still be largely unknown to most. It's like the towns black citizens had no problems with those dynamics until now.

Disagree.......the facts coming out do not support the "unjustified" angle. Media hype, Al Sharpton is getting locals riled up, looting is simply selfish profit and unrelated to the case.

Everytime Sharpton or Jesse Jackson appear I just think of the Tawana Brawley case....

Those guys show up and I'm thinking "ok, how can they profit from this appearance!"

Old 08-16-2014, 08:23 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,994,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Wait! Minorities are getting paid because of skin color? What....I'm Black and not getting any money! Where do I sign up? I didn't get that memo!!!
Maybe it depends on where you live. Minority scholarships were readily available where I live, back when I was in college (2005-2010). I don't think it was a landslide amount, but it was some "free money". Like one poster said, though, I'm not Black, so I don't know the exact names of the scholarships, so I have to Google. Forgive me...

Here, this is one of the colleges I attended (Shreveport campus):

Financial Aid and Scholarships - Louisiana State University - Acalog ACMS

I used CTRL+F to find this searching "Minority" and "Black" "African American". "White" and "Caucasian" turned up nothing.

Quote:
BP Scholarship for Energy in Engineering #2 FT SO, JR, SR; enrolled in Col. of Engr.; 3.0 GPA; selected by Dean of Col. of Engr; preference for minority students.

BP Minority Petroleum Engineering Scholarship Fund (varies:varies) FT; UG; U.S. citizen/perm. res., sophomore year, enrolled in ChE, ME, or PETE. First preference shall be given to minority students. At least 3.0 GPA for all college-level work, be active in extra-curricular organizations (school and/or community) with leadership roles, and not receive other similar corporate financial aid tied to summer employment. Financial need may be a consideration.

Marathon Oil Foundation Minority Scholarship (varies:$1250) FT or PT; SO/JR/SR; in chem. or mech. engr.

Marathon Oil Undergraduate Minority Engineering Program Scholarship Fund (5:varies) FT; UG; UG seeking degrees in ChE, ME, EE, CE, or PETE. Consideration will be given to all academic and nonacademic strengths and achievements, as well as the ways a contender may contribute to a diverse educational environment. Preference given to first-generation college students and/or those who demonstrate financial need.

Minority Engineering General Scholarship—REHAMS (varies:varies) FT; UG in engr.

Scholarship Fund for Minority Engineering Program Students in Chemical Engineering (varies:varies) FT; UG; ChE major; preference to minority students.

Norbert Rillieux Award (1:$250 and Plaque) Outstanding African American graduate in engr.

Chevron Engineering Post-Doctoral and Graduate Student Fellowship Fund (varies:varies) FT; GR; doctoral and post-doctoral fellowships in Engineering awarded to students with substantiated research interest in the oil and gas industry; second preference to students from under- represented groups, inc. African Americans, Hispanic Americans, and women.
***Okay, so that's not all of them, but I don't want to "wall of quote" you. I think the point has been made...

So, yeah, if you're Black and you can't find some money, or something exclusive to you, you're either at a unique place, or you aren't very good with Google. This White guy found it pretty fast!

Old 08-16-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Disagree.......the facts coming out do not support the "unjustified" angle. Media hype, Al Sharpton is getting locals riled up, looting is simply selfish profit and unrelated to the case.

Everytime Sharpton or Jesse Jackson appear I just think of the Tawana Brawley case....

Those guys show up and I'm thinking "ok, how can they profit from this appearance!"
Remember when Trayvon's mom tried to copywrite the words "Justice for Trayvon" and make money off of it?

It happens every time. "What can I get..."

Old 08-16-2014, 08:30 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
[quote=Juram;36104605]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post

Its pretty obvious that the militaristic response made things significantly worse. As soon as they pulled the heavy weapons and shock troops off the streets, the situation improved drastically.

Police all over the world handle riots and most often without scenes such as this:

Rarely does a response like this make things any better, in fact it typically makes them a lot worse. If the police escalate a situation, the crowds and violence will escalate as well.
Absolutely right and why they were removed. The 'militarization' of our police force is something that a lot of us have been discussing for a long time. Now, however, word is getting out there to the rest of America. And they are not liking what they see.

Protect and serve ~ remember that?

Old 08-16-2014, 08:36 AM

[quote=Ringo1;36107448]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post

Absolutely right and why they were removed. The 'militarization' of our police force is something that a lot of us have been discussing for a long time. Now, however, word is getting out there to the rest of America. And they are not liking what they see.

Protect and serve ~ remember that?
Yes, protect and serve. However, lets pretend you are a police officer.

Now, would you rather have a suppressed M4 that won't blow your ear-drums out if you use it in a confined area, and some body armor, or would you rather not? You don't know whether you are walking into the next LA Riot, or a peaceful demonstration with signs. Pick your gear...and justify it.

Let me put this another way...do you want a higher chance of going home alive, at the cost of offending someone on the internet, or a lower chance, while appealing to the pundits on the internet, if the crap hits the fan?

Anyway, now the good citizens of Ferguson can show the boys in blue how it's done.

http://fox2now.com/2014/08/16/police...night-looting/

I think the police should just leave and go where they are appreciated, but then, that's not their job, nor is stripping down and using less effective tools to come home safe if things get bad.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:47 AM

621 posts, read 982,863 times
Commendable of those who tried to stop the looting. For a community that is much disparaged, such acts of courage and integrity send out a strong, positive message.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Commendable of those who tried to stop the looting. For a community that is much disparaged, such acts of courage and integrity send out a strong, positive message.
Exactly. It sends out the kind of message that says "This is not how we behave."

Would that it could have been the message sent out all along. Would that those who believe the deceased is innocent could have protested non-violently and demanded justice and a full investigation (rightfully so!) and peacefully awaited the verdict. But...no. They looted and nutted up and just furthered bad race relations. The very thing they CLAIM to hate, they have enhanced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies