Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 10:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,344,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
If you are husband and wife you have a marriage. Anything else is literally something else altogether.
Meh. That's only your opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:55 PM

47,023 posts, read 26,075,098 times
Quote:
Society is ultimately ruled by people, laws are merely a framework for societal behavior and control.
So - with both the people and the laws turning in favor of gay marriage, what point did you imagine making with this post?

Old 08-26-2014, 06:20 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,965,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBoo View Post
Flip-flops which get overturned if you haven't noticed in the name of 'marriage equality'. I assure everyone, barring an apocalyptic-proportionate devastation, the push for these rights is an assured win across the board, or as much of it as possible. I would know (don't ask).

Look, I understand the basic premise behind pushing SSM. I will always think and feel that it is wrong due to what marriage is. Humans can do better than coddle dead religious ceremonies absorbed by the state to keep the masses quelled and participating. I realize that in order to get something one has to accept the Lowest Common Denominator when it comes to something so broad and ingrained in the American psyche on both pro- and anti- sides such as sex. So called mainstream suburbanite-like homosexuals want their HOA to accept them and people afraid Satan jumped out of Dana Carvey's wig are worried that their children will play dress-up with make-up. So dreadful marriage was chosen. It really is an ugly, binding concept. But the banner associations... LGBT'ers (and whatever else has been adopted) ought to be ashamed at their brazen grab at something so foul. They could do better, members of that community have done better for society as a whole.

Nonetheless the political (thus sociological) need for dramas, too many people on both sides of the two-winged party either are, know of, have birthed or lost someone close to who is or was non-heterosexual. But society doesn't just change overnite... so there has to be a spectacle and a long drawn-out parade of aired decisions. There is a lot changing in this world and no one wants to be afraid.
... wait ... what?

Yes, I'll grant you that marriage is a bourgeois institution (and I'm not ready to be institutionalized yet), but both same sex and opposite sex couples want the marriage license for practical reasons. With legally recognized marriage comes many rights, privileges, and also responsibilities.

I see it as just one facet of a larger picture: the triumph of LGBT Liberation. If gay people cannot get legally married and straight people can, then gay people are second class citizens. Opposite sex relationships are deemed the only relationships worthy of recognition and respect. That is something I personally cannot abide.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:29 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,638,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why is that? I know a few gay couples that have been together longer than some of these "married couples". In fact, they have been together for decades. Why should we deny them the right to be married. Why is it our business when it doesn't even affect any of us.
The duration of the homosexual partnership arrangement is irrelevant especially when compared to real married {man/wo***** couples. Apples and oranges, race and sexual preference. All unrelated and zero (0) nothing in common.

Last edited by JobZombie; 08-26-2014 at 06:45 AM..

Old 08-26-2014, 06:32 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,435,560 times
Quote:
The duration of the homosexual partnership arrangement is irrelevant especially when compared to real married {man/wo***** couples. Apples and oranges, race and sexual preference. All unrelated and zero (0) nothing in common.

You keep typing but all I'm reading is "Waah, waah, waah."

In other words, you have zero rational argument to make as to why gay couples shouldn't have the benefit of the marriage contract. End of story. Next.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
It's more than a bit arrogant to speak for all of society.
Perhaps you will be so kind so as to provide the link where this is so otherwise your fictitious accusation remains libelous, false, intentionally provocative and another misdirection common to the losing side. Oh, and I shall continue to speak for whomever and whatever I so shall chose. Deal with it.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Like the counterfeit romance of marriage?.
Not at all.

Last edited by JobZombie; 08-26-2014 at 06:48 AM..

Old 08-26-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Yes, society is people and people are noticing that airing Ellen isn't causing earthquakes and that Canada seems to be doing just fine with nary a brimstone storm to burn its cities to ash.
Yet society in total ultimately looks upon couples as married or two freaks pretending to be married. You can fill in the gaps yourself as to which sexual coupling combination applies to either category. This will be, is and always will prevail regardless of laws, pieces of paper, and ceremonies.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You don't speak for society, and frankly nobody actually cares what your opinion on the matter is seeing as you absolutely zero say in the matter.
Obviously you care otherwise you wouldn't have noticed or responded.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Since you as an individual can do nothing, then society is not ruled by the people. It is ruled by laws.
Laws which are for the people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies