Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 12:12 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
You really think its our fault they hate us and if we left them alone they would leave us alone? What knowledge of islam do you have? What a infedel is? What their book says to do to non believers?
Show proof they came after us before we went into their countries. That religion has been around for a long time so you have plenty of history, time wise, to prove your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 12:16 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Roy Slade View Post
im a Christian but i dont like that talk -there are good iraqis

i think Gaza has rights and israel is crazy, yet ive voted republican

not sure who to vote for maybe- ted cruz but stop ignoring good muslims and stop the warmongering
I'm referring to ISIS and other Islamic extremists (or radical states). Bomb infrastructure, command and control- not wholesale carpet bombing of cities.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:16 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
But by bombing them we are putting Americans back home in danger. Sooner or later someone will retaliate again. When you kill everything someone loves and they can't get justice, they'll seek revenge.
NNOOOOOO really? in fact i already said that in my first post in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Whew...man, I hope you're wrong. But I'm afraid that you aren't.

You guys lost Vietnam on the ground, not in smokey backrooms.

Tet was a defeat for us. Body count victories mean nothing in warfare.

That's another lesson you failed to learn.

It was not only another Vietnam within weeks of the war's beginning, it was a failure in conception before the troops hit the ground.

Sorry.
DD you are so wrong with this post. the tet offensive was thrown back in a total of eleven days across the country. the VC and NVA blew their wad then. sorry but it is a fact that the politicians lost that war for us. NVA generals admitted later that they were with in a few days of demanding an end to the war when we stopped bombing the north and gave them the breathing room they needed. had nixon chosen to continue the bombing of the north, they would have given us anything we wanted in paris to end the war.

sorry but when politicians get into the prosecution of a war, it generally goes badly for teh side where the politicians are running the war instead of military men.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:37 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in other words you dont really care what other people are saying, because you have your own ideas, and that is what you are going to post regardless of the true facts. in other words you enjoy showing off your hatred and ignorance.
Why do so many posters discuss other posters and not ideas?

What it means is I read and respond to the OP and I read and respond mostly to responses to my posts. And that's usually it.

Instead of explaining your point/points in this thread since you recommended(I think it was this screen name) I read your posts in this thread, you have failed and made your latest post about me.

An utterly irrelevant post.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:38 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
How many is "so many"?

Old 08-16-2014, 12:48 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
History repeats itself. Liberals decided iraq was another vietnam within weeks of the iraq war starting. They have worked to make it happen ever since.
Iraq was a debacle for the U.S. the moment the boots hit the ground. We should have learned our lesson in Vietnam, but of course, Dick Cheney, one of the architects of the Iraq invasion, never served in Vietnam because he "had better things to do," so I guess it's not a surprise that the lesson was lost on him and the administration he was the puppet master for.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:51 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
I think we should be there too. Maybe my viewpoint is clear because of the genicide hitler did to my people.

I think we need to stop genicide where it is tried. Just like we promised in a treaty after ww2.
NO way!!!!!! we shouldn't.

Bolded is why I support Israel. How do they handle their own problem is really none of the world's business They just don't want to be put in the gas chamber again.

If the rest of the world doesn't want to help Israel, then stay out of their business. Let them defend their own country.

However, In the meantime, the growing resentment against Islam will discourage Muslims, especially young ones, from assimilating into the wider society. When you have a leading politician or the general public equating Islam to Nazism, you can imagine that a young Muslim in New York city is thinking.

"Oh, God, These people must really hate me and my religion."

The community's best chance now is to appeal to Americans' sense of justice and fair play.

That being said,

Did you see an open letter to Bill Maher from a Muslim America?

An Open Letter to Bill Maher*From a Muslim American - TIME

""Hey there, Bill. You hate religion. You particularly hate Islam. We get it. Your liberal bigotry against Muslims and Islam is no secret. For a while now I’ve just avoided watching your show, which kind of stinks because for many years I was a great fan and really loved it. I wasn’t even bothered when you called out Muslims doing stupid, criminal or horrific things. You do that with a lot of groups, and it’s important to do. But I stopped watching when it became clear that you loathed a faith I was devoted to."

What load of crap. This author was once a great fan of Maher. A GREAT fan. Everybody watched Maher knows that he has always been brutal towards religion, particularly Christianity. This author once LOVED it. Then suddenly, the author realized that Bill absolutely hates religion, particularly Islam. (The Koran tells us that we disbelievers will burn in hell for all eternity (Quran 2:39) so it's very reasonable for disbelievers to despise such a book.) And because of this revelation that Bill Maher loathes Islam, she simply stopped watching Bill's show because criticism of Islam made his show 'stink'. Note that the author was fine with Bill's criticism of various other groups but it was ultimately the criticism of Islam that chased her away.

I think we need to find a new definition of Moderate Muslim here. We absolutely shouldn't go to their countries to butt into their businesses. But seriously, let's not pretend we don't have radical muslim problem here in the United States.

Islam singles itself out. (Okay, the radicals) Radical Islam sticks out like a sore thumb when put in line with other religions. Not all religions are equally insane. Some religions go one step forward. Radical Islam falls in that category.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:08 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
But I don't want to buy it for them which we literally have trying to nation-build Iraq. With that said, Iraq can/will do democracy on Iraq's timetable, i.e. when Iraqis are ready for it and upon there own initiative.

To think WE could change Iraq in 10 years (or 100) is foolish thinking.

[emphasis mine]

Iraq also called Mesopotamia has been fought over by mankind for at least 10,000 years or from the time there was something worth fighting over so one had better take the long view and be ready to fight for as long as man may exist on this world.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
NNOOOOOO really? in fact i already said that in my first post in this thread.

DD you are so wrong with this post. the tet offensive was thrown back in a total of eleven days across the country. the VC and NVA blew their wad then. sorry but it is a fact that the politicians lost that war for us. NVA generals admitted later that they were with in a few days of demanding an end to the war when we stopped bombing the north and gave them the breathing room they needed. had nixon chosen to continue the bombing of the north, they would have given us anything we wanted in paris to end the war.

sorry but when politicians get into the prosecution of a war, it generally goes badly for teh side where the politicians are running the war instead of military men.
If we were doing so well, why was Tet even possible? Tet was a defeat for us, and a bad one at that. It basically proved that we'd been wasting our time over there up to that point.

Again, you guys are using body counts as an indicator of victory, and that's where we go wrong every time. Body counts don't mean squat. Killing more of them than they kill of us is a lame way to measure warfare. The military doesn't use it anymore...and for good reason.

The story that the NVA generals were gonna give up strikes me as silly. Give up for what? Yeah, we could inflict brutal casualties on the NVA, but no way were we ever gonna take down the VC. That was simply impossible.

Blaming the loss of wars on politicians is pathetic. Germany did it after WW1, and it led to devastating consequences for them. Now, here we are doing it instead of admitting that there is a such thing as "limits of power."

I mean, no one was ever able to subdue the Vietnamese, and of all the nations that tried, we'd be the LEAST LIKELY to succeed at it. Simply put, we're not cut out to win guerrilla wars or to occupy nations. We suck at it.

And please, don't bring up Germany and Japan...they had no choice but to turn to us after the war was over.

As for politicians being involved in war prosecution? Sorry, but this isn't a banana republic. Generals should run the execution of wars, but war is too important to leave in the hands of generals. I want civilian control of warfare. I don't trust the brass in that role.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
How many is "so many"?
If you're not in the "so many," don't worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies