Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:48 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm optimistic all the time. My personal fortunes don't rise or fall according to who sits in the White House.

You folks must have some sucky lives. Glad I'm not any of you.
As much as I think Bush and Obama both sucked I managed to stay employed throughout both their terms. Need to make three more years (until I am 59.5). I will probably make it.

I am supporting Rand in 2016 for the sake of my grandchildren.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 07:59 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
For the last freakin time, have you never watched SchoolHouse Rock? You all are just sad if you've never seen that program. Obama is mostly only there to look pretty. He is partly at fault but not all to blame.

There is also strength in numbers. If you angry Republicans don't like the way things are going band together. Don't just sit there. If it's a policy that I don't agree with then I'll join you but only if I know everyone else will because I can't do it by myself. They're not going to listen to me because I'm only one person.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:34 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
We are guaranteed to have a better president in two years and probably one who tells less lies and who does not hate the working class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
The next election will still be full of candidates who can accept funding from large corporations.

I'm not that optimistic.

I am very pessimistic because I believe that government tends towards entropy in the same way that the universe does.

Who really believes this country's best days are ahead of it? Who really believes that this country will become more united(thereby less divided) in the future? Who even believes there will be a United States even a hundred years from now?

I believe the founders were correct about this country, its tendency towards despotism, and how democracy undermines the legitimacy of law itself. For all intents and purposes, there is no constitution. And for that matter, the legitimacy of the state is increasingly questionable. The only future I see, is disorder.

Furthermore, to believe that electing a new president is going to fix our problems is to be completely delusional. It assumes that the people are even capable or willing to elect a man of character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07w9K2XR3f0

"The known propensity of a democracy is to licentiousness which the ambitious call, and ignorant believe to be liberty." — Fisher Ames

“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.” — Henry L. Mencken

Old 08-15-2014, 10:38 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I am very pessimistic because I believe that government tends towards entropy in the same way that the universe does.

Who really believes this country's best days are ahead of it? Who really believes that this country will become more united(thereby less divided) in the future? Who even believes there will be a United States even a hundred years from now?

I believe the founders were correct about this country, its tendency towards despotism, and how democracy undermines the legitimacy of law itself. For all intents and purposes, there is no constitution. And for that matter, the legitimacy of the state is increasingly questionable. The only future I see, is disorder.

Furthermore, to believe that electing a new president is going to fix our problems is to be completely delusional. It assumes that the people are even capable or willing to elect a man of character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07w9K2XR3f0

"The known propensity of a democracy is to licentiousness which the ambitious call, and ignorant believe to be liberty." — Fisher Ames

“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.” — Henry L. Mencken
Elected officals can be broken down to two classes

Those that do the most damage to rights, liberty and wealth

Those that do the least damage to right, liberty an wealth.

We need none of the group A and more of group B.

As long as we prevent amnesty we can restore this nation.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
As much as I think Bush and Obama both sucked I managed to stay employed throughout both their terms. Need to make three more years (until I am 59.5). I will probably make it.

I am supporting Rand in 2016 for the sake of my grandchildren.
Vote and if necessary Fight like your liberty, life, freedom and prosperity and of your children and their children are at risk, because they are..

Old 08-16-2014, 06:16 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Vote and if necessary Fight like your liberty, life, freedom and prosperity and of your children and their children are at risk, because they are..

I used my 30-06 to shoot down a drone just a few minutes ago.

Crap...the neighbor just came over and started whining about someone shooting down his radio controlled plane.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I used my 30-06 to shoot down a drone just a few minutes ago.
Really? Pics or it did not happen..

Old 08-16-2014, 01:26 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Americans thought that in 2008 and tried that approach - look at the results.
And then look at the results of the last midterms.

Handwriting is on the wall.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:03 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Who is on the receiving end of that $3.7 trillion? Medicare, Tricare, VA, Medicaid for seniors, Defense, Defense-civilian employees. Here is a dirty little secret 45% of federal employees are veterans. The 3.7 trillion budget goes to people who vote reliably Republican. Heck if there is someone giving a federal handout the person on the other end is most likely a Republican. Down in Bakersfield, California the Tea Party-conservative types have no trouble signing up for the ACA and then voting for a guy who wants to kill it. Can you explain that if you are a Tea Partier?

Lots of newly insured back home, but Kevin McCarthy
No, because I'm not a Tea Party member. But signing up for ACA is the law. So I guess Tea Party members are just obeying the law.

But how did you decide that $3.7 trillion is going to Republicans?

Old 08-18-2014, 04:04 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Haven't you had enough already?

Drinking? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies