Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 10:29 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times

Advertisements

This is a serious question. I have no dog in the trans fight and, with the exception of killing babies, I have been fairly "liberal" when it comes to social issues. It's not that I actually care about the plight of XYZ person; rather, I just think people ought to be left alone. There was a time when being gay was considered a mental disorder because it was added as a disorder back in the 60's, then it was removed. So hey, the APA maketh a disorder, and the APA takeith away. I suppose that makes sense. You can say that being attracted to a member of the same sex is a mental disorder, like you could say that being attracted to a person of another race is a mental disorder. Or you could say that it's not.

Being transgendered, on the other hand, seems a bit more complex. On one hand, the premise of being trans is that your brain is of one sex and body is of another. Indeed, the people fighting for trans rights point to very real difference in the brain. The trans gender identity is "treated" with medical intervention including hormones and surgery - some of which is covered by insurance. I get that the trans people do not want their identity to be considered a "disease" or "disorder" but, at the same time, how is it not? You were born with the wrong body part(s), you seek medical help to reverse the "error". How is that not a disease?

Someone please explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 10:45 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
I think they are rooted in a neurosis, much the same way I believe gays are rooted in a neurosis.

My observations have led me to a hypothesis that gays relate neurotically to the opposite sex, and transgenders relate neurotically to the same sex. For example, I don't think there is a gene that leads many lesbians to "hate men".

I think the neurosis emerges in early childhood; individuals say they've "always been this way" but I think it's more accurate to say "they've been that way as long as they can remember". They became that way before they had the language skills to articulate it.

Also, I believe "sexual orientation" is an inaccurate term; I believe a better term is "affectional orientation" toward members of the preferred gender. Since "gay" and "transgender" precede puberty in onset, the individual has a clear affectional gender preference long before they have a sexual preference for that gender. I came up with this term independently several years ago, but many thousands of others beat me to it.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:48 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,243 times
Just answering your question. Did not read your posting. Answer: NO

Old 02-18-2016, 11:06 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I think they are rooted in a neurosis, much the same way I believe gays are rooted in a neurosis.

My observations have led me to a hypothesis that gays relate neurotically to the opposite sex, and transgenders relate neurotically to the same sex. For example, I don't think there is a gene that leads many lesbians to "hate men".

I think the neurosis emerges in early childhood; individuals say they've "always been this way" but I think it's more accurate to say "they've been that way as long as they can remember". They became that way before they had the language skills to articulate it.

Also, I believe "sexual orientation" is an inaccurate term; I believe a better term is "affectional orientation" toward members of the preferred gender. Since "gay" and "transgender" precede puberty in onset, the individual has a clear affectional gender preference long before they have a sexual preference for that gender. I came up with this term independently several years ago, but many thousands of others beat me to it.
Glad to know you are such an authority Can we just let people live their lives without putting some kind of label on them...like neurosis. You were born heterosexual, some were not.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Just answering your question. Did not read your posting. Answer: NO
Maybe you should read it and then answer.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:19 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,355,463 times
I'm aromantic. The idea of a soulmate feels unnatural and wrong to me. I don't know why. I don't care why. I just don't like the idea of it, so it makes sense for me not to date. I assume that's how homosexuals feel too. If they want to sleep with/do romantic things with a person of X sex who consents, I see no reason why they shouldn't. It seems like one major problem people have is thinking too much. Everybody just do what you want to do and don't do what you don't want to do so long as it doesn't involve wreaking havoc on innocent people.

I have more questions about transgenderism. I have a lot of difficulty understanding why someone with a physically male body and a feminine personality would want to look like a woman instead of just labeling themselves a very feminine gay male. Also, the operations and treatments transgenders receive are permanent changes, so that's a much bigger change and risk than just being homosexual, and a change that probably makes many of us cringe.

This is something people pretty clearly need to learn more about. I do feel like the strategy of assuring ourselves that if we strive to pressure people to be the sex of their anatomy transgender people will go away is pretty stupid though. Nobody be stupid. You can think personality trait X is a disease or harmful. That's fine. Just have some kind of reason for it. Instinct is not a reason. I'm under the impression researchers don't know a whole lot about why transgenderism occurs.

There are a number of theories about why transgender people exist although there is not yet scientific consensus.
When you look across cultures, you will find that people have had a wide range of beliefs about gender. Some cultures look at people and see six genders, while others see two. Some cultures have created specific ways for people to live in roles that are different from that assigned to them at birth. In addition, different cultures also vary in their definitions of masculine and feminine. Whether we view someone as transgender depends on the cultural lenses we are looking through as well as how people identify themselves.
[MOD CUT/copyright] [/i]
http://www.transequality.org/issues/...der-people-faq

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-19-2016 at 06:05 PM..

Old 02-18-2016, 11:21 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,356,835 times
There's no evidence that points to it being a disease or disorder.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:30 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,674 times
A social disease

Old 02-19-2016, 01:16 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,210,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
......... the premise of being trans is that your brain is of one sex and body is of another. Indeed, the people fighting for trans rights point to very real difference in the brain.

Someone please explain.
This is not at all true. Knowing from a medical perspective, the sexuality of transsexuals is congruent with their birth sex, they have the same drives. and is why only males have such a strong attraction to the "idea' of being a female, women are not given over to such objective sexuality.

You see this in the often desire to 'dress sexy' yet it is rare for these to hold a maternal interest in infants.

Women who are transsexual, or transmen, are always primarily attracted to other women and have always had a masculine orientation. This is true in a minority of males who one might describe as effeminate, and gay, although more male transsexuals are not gay and try to identify as lesbians.

This is one reason those like Janice Raymond were so opposed to these transsexuals, they felt they were intruding of the exclusively female space.

The main thing I will say, is the brain sex is genetically congruent in all, but those with AIS or PAIS, who are not considered transsexuals. There are cases of XXY types who the genetic intersex seems to leave them somewhere in-between, yet most identify with their birth sex.

Last edited by OldDocKat; 02-19-2016 at 01:27 AM..

Old 02-19-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
This is not at all true. Knowing from a medical perspective, the sexuality of transsexuals is congruent with their birth sex, they have the same drives. and is why only males have such a strong attraction to the "idea' of being a female, women are not given over to such objective sexuality.

You see this in the often desire to 'dress sexy' yet it is rare for these to hold a maternal interest in infants.

Women who are transsexual, or transmen, are always primarily attracted to other women and have always had a masculine orientation. This is true in a minority of males who one might describe as effeminate, and gay, although more male transsexuals are not gay and try to identify as lesbians.

This is one reason those like Janice Raymond were so opposed to these transsexuals, they felt they were intruding of the exclusively female space.

The main thing I will say, is the brain sex is genetically congruent in all, but those with AIS or PAIS, who are not considered transsexuals. There are cases of XXY types who the genetic intersex seems to leave them somewhere in-between, yet most identify with their birth sex.
Did anyone else not follow this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies