Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:53 PM

21 posts, read 96,981 times

Advertisements

I am a college educated, but disabled, TS seeking SRS through Medi Cal. So I am very poor! (Right now, anyways).
I need a decent, safe and affordable small house or cottage (preferably)!
I must reside in CA to qualify.
I live 2000 miles away, right now.
I have been to the ends of the earth seeking an answer to the "uninvited dilemma" I have been carrying since birth.
I am so close, yet still so far from the answer.
Someone had suggested San Jacinto, CA?
Or any other ideas where in California to look for housing?
Thank you, in advance!
Sincerely,

Jake (fuzzduckie)

Last edited by fuzzduckie; 05-04-2007 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-04-2007, 12:47 AM

Default San Bernardino, CA?

I had found 2 small houses available in San Bernardino. One was $600.00/month and the other was $550.00/month.
Which is great, but there's probably a good reason. Crips and Bloods (for instance).
Thanks.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:55 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Apartments don't go for that little. That house must be 90 years old, falling apart, have bodies under the floor boards, and be in gangland.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:17 AM

642 posts, read 3,073,401 times
what is your disability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzduckie View Post
I am a college educated, but disabled, TS seeking SRS through Medi Cal. So I am very poor! (Right now, anyways).
I have been to the ends of the earth seeking an answer to the "uninvited dilemma" I have been carrying since birth.
Thank you, in advance!
Sincerely,

Jake (fuzzduckie)

Old 05-04-2007, 09:50 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,116 times
Fuzzduckie, stay outta San Bern. In general not a good town at all. San Jacinto and Hemet are meth-towns. I hate to say it but anything you see that might be affordable in So Cal will probably be in the ghetto...which more than likely will not be a TS-friendly enviroment. Sorry!! Good luck!

Old 05-04-2007, 09:52 AM

989 posts, read 5,926,135 times
I highly advise against.
This is NOT the state to be poor in regardless of what services we have. The terms, "safe and affordable," are not found anywhere in this state.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
I highly advise against.
This is NOT the state to be poor in regardless of what services we have. The terms, "safe and affordable," are not found anywhere in this state.
Desperate times call for desperate measures. l
If I had to pay for the surgeries, it would cost over $200,000.00.
As I write this, I'm sitting in my living room in a building that was built in 1870.
And this is the "crack capital" of the tristate area, in PA.
But people are people. There's good people here, too.
CA is a big state.
Somewhere there is the right place for me...
How to find it?

Old 05-05-2007, 10:03 PM

642 posts, read 3,073,401 times
What is your disability?

Is a transgender person now labeled disabled in California or nationally and thus you qualify for state and/or national tax payer money to live off disability? Is this a disability where you presently live? Or is it in only in California and this is why you want to move here?

What is SRS through Medi Cal?

Is this state government medical insurance funded by tax payer money that will pay for your sex change and all the hormones for the rest of your life? Is this what you are moving to California for?

I am very confused by your post and thread. You said you are in PA and very poor, I am very unclear why you would move to a place not even the middle class can afford, especially when it comes to safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzduckie View Post
Thank you, in advance!
Sincerely,

Jake (fuzzduckie)

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 05-05-2007 at 10:14 PM..

Old 05-05-2007, 11:25 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,339,568 times
East Arts District in Long Beach is a liveable part of 90813 Long Beach that's a well-established gay area. Housing is just about the cheapest I've seen far and wide and the neighborhood is probably better than where you live. I think an accepting atmosphere is also important as you complete your change and this area has it. It's also close to the ocean. Long Beach also has it's own gay pride festival and many resources for Gay/Lesbian/Bi/Transgender individuals.

I've lived in California both with plenty of money and with extremely limited means. I'm here to tell you it can be done.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:53 PM

Default SRS funding...

QUOTE=fairweathergolfer;674785]What is your disability?
-My disability is schizo-affective disorder, bipolar type. I have also been diagnosed with Gender Identity Disorder/Gender Dysphoria.
There are degrees of being transgendered. I have been determined to have a "profound' degree of being transgendered.
This was done at the Persad Center, in Pittsburgh.
At 43 years of age, I have not been able to work full time in my life.
Not yet, at least.

Is a transgender person now labeled disabled in California or nationally and thus you qualify for state and/or national tax payer money to live off disability?
-Yes and no. To be able to get hormones and surgery, ANY transgendered person must follow the universally accepted Harry Benjamin Standards of Care.
One requirement of the HBSOC is a diagnosis of Gender Identity Disorder by a licensed psychiatrist or psychologist, just to be able GET the surgery, in the first place.
Hormones and surgery are irreversable!
They want to make SURE you are qualified!
However, a person who meets the requirements for GID is not necessarily disabled. Or qualify for government assistance.
In fact, you might even know one or two of them right now and not even realize it!
So a TS can have a label of Gender Dysphoria/GID, but not be disabled.
And, to qualify for state/or national funding, I am a TS and ALSO disabled.
If you are disabled and qualify for SSI/SSDI, you automatically qualify for state aid.
(Regardless of which state).

Is this a disability where you presently live? Or is it in only in California and this is why you want to move here?
-I qualify for SSI. When you qualify for SSI/SSDI you are automatically eligible for state Medicaid funding, regardless of state.

What is SRS through Medi Cal?
SRS is what they used to call Sex Reassignment Surgery. Although now it is usually referred to as Gender Confirmation Surgery.
Medi Cal is California's version of Medicaid. If you qualify for SSI/SSDI, you automatically are covered for this state aid, reserved for the disabled and poorest of the poor.
But you must reside in California!
(You must also meet certain income limits. For instance you cannot have above $1,000.00 in assets, as a single person).

Is this state government medical insurance funded by tax payer money that will pay for your sex change and all the hormones for the rest of your life? Is this what you are moving to California for?
-Till now, you couldn't get SRS covered by ANY insurance.
But recently, in San Francisco, a company started including SRS for its employees. And far from "disaster ensuing" the company found it actually SAVED the insurance company money because of the increased productivity and lowered health care costs of its employees.
And insurance companies around the continent are beginning to follow suit.
Blue Cross/Blue Shield (for one) has begun covering these procedures (in some states).
And finally, coverage for the very least advantaged is starting to happen. Only in California.
I only qualify for hormones here. Yet, I transitioned in my small town in PA because people have such cruddy misconceptions of "who we are." I wanted to prove we are, indeed "everyday kind of people, who have families,
just like theirs.
I've paid a huge price for my honesty! The ostracism, the threats of violence. Being Caucasian but "profiled" by people you'd never think would be bigots.
But I want to move on now. let the younger generation take over and do their part. Before I get any older.
And before I get raped or killed, even.
In a small town (bigger than where I live, though) a born bio Male transitioning to Female was raped then murdered on the street by paramedics who were supposed to be saving her from as heart attack. When they discovered she had a penis.

I am very confused by your post and thread. You said you are in PA and very poor, I am very unclear why you would move to a place not even the middle class can afford, especially when it comes to safety. [/quote]
-My only real chance of a real life is having this done. I want to work and be productive like everyone else does.
Poverty sucks!
SRS is EXTREMELY expensive. I have been unable to work full time EVER in my life. I am 43 years old now. How on Earth can someone like me come up with over $200,000.00 to pay for it?
California has now added GCS (SRS) to its list of covered services! PA probably won't anytime soon (understatement)!

note: Thanks for the comment, Sorcerer68. I'll definitely check out Long Beach.
(You know, it'd sure be GREAT to find somewhere that is cheap BC "those LGBT people live there". (Ha ha)

Last edited by fuzzduckie; 05-06-2007 at 12:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties