Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 12:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
wow...once again, you ability to own a business (called access to capital) is largely the result of class. your ability to effectively run a business is largely a function of education--both the technical skill set and even the wok ethic and values to believe in the system.

You see it as simply working hard....although hard is relative. What you are obtuse to is that you are blessed with the ability to work hard and to see the fruits of your labor.

Your perspective is very myopic...like because I can do this so can you..its problematic.
100% agreed. It is not as simple as working hard. The average janitor, fast food worker, busboy, etc work a lot harder than I do. Yet, I make significantly more income.

My income is hardly a function of my hard work. I got lucky and was born to the right parents, got to live in the right neighborhood and ran into the right opportunities along the way.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:33 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,992,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
100% agreed. It is not as simple as working hard. The average janitor, fast food worker, busboy, etc work a lot harder than I do. Yet, I make significantly more income.

My income is hardly a function of my hard work. I got lucky and was born to the right parents, got to live in the right neighborhood and ran into the right opportunities along the way.
heck, talk about the ecaduarian illegal picking fruit for 3$ a hour...now that's hard work.

Amen...and I am white...most of the people that own the big buildings downtown...their parents owned it back in 1820s

Old 08-20-2014, 01:56 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,056,379 times
Quote:
wow...once again, you ability to own a business (called access to capital) is largely the result of class. your ability to effectively run a business is largely a function of education--both the technical skill set and even the wok ethic and values to believe in the system.

You see it as simply working hard....although hard is relative. What you are obtuse to is that you are blessed with the ability to work hard and to see the fruits of your labor.

Your perspective is very myopic...like because I can do this so can you..its problematic.
We need more myopia. Everyone can work hard. Everyone should work hard. Everyone must work hard. Survival demands it, and even the fish and the squirrels and the amoebas, who lack intelligence, don't question that.

I am not interested in your parents or your excuses or your upbringing or your culture or your deficiencies. Anyone who is not medically retarded, anyone whose IQ exceeds that of a house cat, any human who can issue ultimatums and demands for collectivist largesse, can, in fact, work hard. But we must make it more mandatory. Like you don't work? You don't eat. You don't eat? You die in the street.

Guess how many hard workers will suddenly appear when the giveaways disappear. Answer: All of them!

We've given in too much to sloth, laziness, stupidity, and excuses, and stopped demanding the basics of survival.

Work, beg, or die, the choice is simple. Work is actually the easiest of the choices!

Invictus:

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:

So your parents raised and built a lucky incompetent? And now the opportunities just fall on you? People just want to give you money? And you are basically worthless except for luck? Is that what you think of yourself?

Old 08-20-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
So your parents raised and built a lucky incompetent? And now the opportunities just fall on you? People just want to give you money? And you are basically worthless except for luck? Is that what you think of yourself?
yes...but not luck. it's a combo of environment and opportunity.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
We need more myopia. Everyone can work hard. Everyone should work hard. Everyone must work hard. Survival demands it, and even the fish and the squirrels and the amoebas, who lack intelligence, don't question that.

I am not interested in your parents or your excuses or your upbringing or your culture or your deficiencies. Anyone who is not medically retarded, anyone whose IQ exceeds that of a house cat, any human who can issue ultimatums and demands for collectivist largesse, can, in fact, work hard. But we must make it more mandatory. Like you don't work? You don't eat. You don't eat? You die in the street.

Guess how many hard workers will suddenly appear when the giveaways disappear. Answer: All of them!

We've given in too much to sloth, laziness, stupidity, and excuses, and stopped demanding the basics of survival.

Work, beg, or die, the choice is simple. Work is actually the easiest of the choices!

Invictus:

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
you dont seam capable of processing the argument.

let me make it simple.

there are 2 jobs that pay 75k a year with benefits.

there are 15 applicants.

whatever the other 13 do they will not get those jobs.

fullstop.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:13 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawson View Post
If 90 percent felt like him, we would have a much better country.
Ninty percent do.

Do you really believe that only 10% of blacks in the US are working every day trying to make an honest living? Do you really believe that the Ferguson rioters represents 90% of blacks in America?

Old 08-20-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
yes...but not luck. it's a combo of environment and opportunity.
Except millions of valuable people ascend from unfavorable "environments" every day of every week. They don't give themselves any other choice. And so good things happen to them. We need to not ask, but demand that from everyone under penalty of starvation and death. When faced with that real choice, the same choice every non-human animal on Earth faces without complaint or demand, we will see that nearly everyone is capable of a lot more than they are currently showing. Necessity is the mother of invention. Laziness and failure are the progeny of determinism.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:22 PM

317 posts, read 329,281 times
Quote:
Increasing education? That's not the real problem. Addressing economic inequality would actually have a much bigger impact. The root of 90% of the issues are lack of economic opportunity and concentrated poverty. Solve these two issues, and most problems go away.
I don't understand what you mean by economic inequality, please explain.

What's your solution to solve this problem?

Old 08-20-2014, 02:23 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,610,277 times
Quote:
you dont seam capable of processing the argument.

let me make it simple.

there are 2 jobs that pay 75k a year with benefits.

there are 15 applicants.

whatever the other 13 do they will not get those jobs.

fullstop.
If that is true, then the applicants who did not get the job have to go onto the next job application, eventually they will get a job. if they keep getting rejected, then they might have to earn education or begin at the bottom or whatever, to reach their ideal job. that is part of the constitution's "right to pursue happiness" it is not guaranteed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies