Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 02:58 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,215,951 times

Advertisements

Let the cry of racism ring out yet again.

Dead beats will get their water shut off.

Pay your bills.

Water shutoffs to resume in Detroit for unpaid bills
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 03:03 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times
As it should be, fair share and all

Old 08-26-2014, 03:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Water in Detroit is outrageously expensive. Even living in a drought-prone region, I don't come close to paying that much, and I probably should given western water supply issues. But Detroit? Why on earth is water so freaking expensive there?

Old 08-26-2014, 03:07 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Water in Detroit is outrageously expensive. Even living in a drought-prone region, I don't come close to paying that much, and I probably should given western water supply issues. But Detroit? Why on earth is water so freaking expensive there?

Loss of industry as manufacturing continues to head overseas
Declining population
Increased poverty due to middle class people fleeing to the suburbs or leaving the area all together

Which leads to loss of tax revenue to the city. Therefore, they have to make it up somewhere.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:08 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,516 times
Quote:
Don't most houses there only cost like $8k-$50K? I wonder why on earth that still can not afford to pay for water?

Old 08-26-2014, 03:10 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,194 times
Quote:
Who knows. One of the country clubs/golf courses owes close to $200K.

Detroit's high-end golf club, the Red Wing's hockey arena, the Ford football stadium and more than half of the city's commercial and industrial users are also owing – a sum totalling $30 million. "

Detroit's Water War: a tap shut-off that could impact 300,000 people | Martin Lukacs | Environment | theguardian.com

Old 08-26-2014, 03:11 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Loss of industry as manufacturing continues to head overseas
Declining population
Increased poverty due to middle class people fleeing to the suburbs or leaving the area all together

Which leads to loss of tax revenue to the city. Therefore, they have to make it up somewhere.
Plus some of the cost for water is not just the gallons used but the total infrastructure that must be maintained. So if demand drops, the costs to maintain the pipes and plants remains and must be spread to the remaining water users increasing the price.

The same thing happened in here. They harped on everyone about using less water for decades, so people started using less water which in turn lead to less revenue which in turn lead to an increase in water rates.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
Quote:
Just a guess, but perhaps it is so expensive due to the "compassion" of letting people get away with not paying their bill.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:19 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
During the summer months when we need to irrigate our small lawn, our water bill rises to $125 from about $30 for the remaining months of the year. An article linked in a previous water thread cited a woman living in a Detroit apartment owing something $200 a month. That made my jaw drop. We don't even pay that much for power, which is the largest of our utility bills, to air condition our suburban house in high summer.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:26 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
More than likely, it would be the fault of the politicians and bureaucrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies