Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:34 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,062,947 times

Advertisements

I am an ancient millennial but I like what I see in the 1990s born Millenials

1) tolerance and diversity: They are the first generation to see the best in their age group not just nationally, but worldwide, and making it so transgender and same-sex and those with any mental disorder under the sun as well, can actually come out of their shell and not be afraid to be themselves. In this sense, Millenials are truly a special and amazing bunch worth fighting for!

2) technology savy: They are tech savy and though some percent may not know some surprising historical fact, each and every one of these same people can "look it up" instantly and know the fact 5 seconds later and I mean know more about it 5 seconds later than any Older generation's quiz.

3) socialization w family and friends: They are closer with their parents and grandparents because with the recession they inherited, they have been living at home but also working and saving on rent. They prefer living more sustainably and unlike the older critics, realize that true space is that which brings everyone together "podcast, skype, Facebook, etc". And the Millenials in my view actually have it right. You see people who never had the chance to interconnect before, finding each other in this cyber world that is totally ignored by the generations that pick on Millenials

4) earth first: Millenials use less paper, kill fewer trees, consume less factory-polluting furniture, use less electric because they live in smaller spaces and cherish the cyberspace instead, which runs on very little electric power compared to anything of previous generations

5) optimism: Millenials who are told they are full of themselves are so optimistic and confident that they accomplish things that other people give up on. They actually do things instead of just preach and find themselves making new apps, new changes in the workplace, spontaneous acts of kindness, helping people who would be misfits end up inside the inner circles of a great order that respects absolutely everyone as is. And lots of work among 20-somethings in the non-profit good works of our day

I would not change the millennial generation and I love them and I don't care what older generations critics have to say. For the first time in centuries, guys and girls can embrace transgender love and get a yayyyyy for it and that alone makes me adore this generation. Nobody before them had the guts to break this kind of ice

Old 08-19-2014, 07:47 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,303,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
I am an ancient millennial but I like what I see in the 1990s born Millenials

1) tolerance and diversity: They are the first generation to see the best in their age group not just nationally, but worldwide, and making it so transgender and same-sex and those with any mental disorder under the sun as well, can actually come out of their shell and not be afraid to be themselves. In this sense, Millenials are truly a special and amazing bunch worth fighting for!

2) technology savy: They are tech savy and though some percent may not know some surprising historical fact, each and every one of these same people can "look it up" instantly and know the fact 5 seconds later and I mean know more about it 5 seconds later than any Older generation's quiz.

3) socialization w family and friends: They are closer with their parents and grandparents because with the recession they inherited, they have been living at home but also working and saving on rent. They prefer living more sustainably and unlike the older critics, realize that true space is that which brings everyone together "podcast, skype, Facebook, etc". And the Millenials in my view actually have it right. You see people who never had the chance to interconnect before, finding each other in this cyber world that is totally ignored by the generations that pick on Millenials

4) earth first: Millenials use less paper, kill fewer trees, consume less factory-polluting furniture, use less electric because they live in smaller spaces and cherish the cyberspace instead, which runs on very little electric power compared to anything of previous generations

5) optimism: Millenials who are told they are full of themselves are so optimistic and confident that they accomplish things that other people give up on. They actually do things instead of just preach and find themselves making new apps, new changes in the workplace, spontaneous acts of kindness, helping people who would be misfits end up inside the inner circles of a great order that respects absolutely everyone as is. And lots of work among 20-somethings in the non-profit good works of our day

I would not change the millennial generation and I love them and I don't care what older generations critics have to say. For the first time in centuries, guys and girls can embrace transgender love and get a yayyyyy for it and that alone makes me adore this generation. Nobody before them had the guts to break this kind of ice
I never get this interest in phony generations.

Of all the imaginary things, this is one of the ones I really don't understand.

You really think that people based on the year they were born have more in common with each other than the family they were born into, what part of the nation they were born, their ethnicity, etc and so on.

The sad reality is when we discuss generations we wipe out Americans who aren't white or upper middle class or home owners, or who practice a different religion, or a million other different things that matter to who a person is and who they will have the most in common with than what year they were born.

The baby boom was describing a real thing, not a generation, but sadly that has been bastardized and we get these vapid threads about this generation or that generation as if it is a real thing.

No offense to the OP. I really want to stress that I am not attacking the OP, but generations aren't real at least nit how we use them.

The millennial generation just like all so called generations learn how to be adults from older people, which means the usually end up being a lot like those who came before them.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:54 AM

I think to argue why generations do matter is there are critical learning objectives that occur at certain life ages and those ages happen in specific times periods that depend entirely on your year of birth. Those who did not have the internet when they were between the ages of say 5 to 18 years of age would have a different spin on their use of internet than those that did. Also different priorities and different spins on questions such as

"What is more important to you...your Facebook profile...or the appearance of the inside of your automobile, etc

Old 08-19-2014, 08:03 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,465,277 times
Polls alos find this generation is very pro-pot.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...73231344,d.cGE

Old 08-19-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Polls alos find this generation is very pro-pot.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...73231344,d.cGE
Very pro-freedom to do and say what you like...very pro-Democracy and pro freedom to advance the cause of global justice in connecting with others recreationally not just by having beaurocratic militias send troops all over the world. Not sending people off to Vietnam to fight Marxists but by letting everyone be happy as one instead

And ....under the surface the global warmth of bonds of Millenials across the world and through the university system has in part thwarted a Third World War from occurring ...instead the young generation wants to live and laugh...see the magical spaces of cyber and yes, marujuana for recreation as well...to bond humans together from every nation

Old 08-19-2014, 08:18 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,070,984 times
The only reason I would love the Greatest Loser Generation is when they finally get their lazy butts to work and pay for my Social Security.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:22 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,465,277 times
Quote:
Very pro-freedom to do and say what you like...very pro-Democracy and pro freedom to advance the cause of global justice in connecting with others recreationally not just by having beaurocratic militias send troops all over the world. Not sending people off to Vietnam to fight Marxists but by letting everyone be happy as one instead

And ....under the surface the global warmth of bonds of Millenials across the world and through the university system has in part thwarted a Third World War from occurring ...instead the young generation wants to live and laugh...see the magical spaces of cyber and yes, marujuana for recreation as well...to bond humans together from every nation
Um, what? You kind of went all over the place there.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,303,649 times
Quote:
I think to argue why generations do matter is there are critical learning objectives that occur at certain life ages and those ages happen in specific times periods that depend entirely on your year of birth. Those who did not have the internet when they were between the ages of say 5 to 18 years of age would have a different spin on their use of internet than those that did. Also different priorities and different spins on questions such as

"What is more important to you...your Facebook profile...or the appearance of the inside of your automobile, etc
I disagree, the creation of the internet and it's widespread use or how it us used varies greatly and not just by age.

My problem with generations is that it necessarily wipes out certain groups of people whose life doesn't fit the generational narrative.

As a though exercise, it fine to say how do people of different ages use the internet or how are young people changed by the existence of the internet.

But this idea that those question can be boiled down to represent 10's of millions of people all growing up in different families, with different incomes, of different ethnicities, in different parts of the nation strikes me as very odd and not real.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:26 AM

19,855 posts, read 12,130,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
The only reason I would love the Greatest Loser Generation is when they finally get their lazy butts to work and pay for my Social Security.
Don't hold your breath. They are too busy contemplating their navels and doing selfies. Much more important than working which, frankly, is a drag doncha know?

Old 08-19-2014, 09:02 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,538,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Don't hold your breath. They are too busy contemplating their navels and doing selfies. Much more important than working which, frankly, is a drag doncha know?
Why'd you raise them that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies