Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 03:10 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Do you see how far you are willing to go to try and make your argument seem credible? Now there is no difference between a for-profit and a non-profit?
no, both a for profit, and non profits are both corporations.. In fact some of the largest paid CEO's in this nation work for non profits. Try again..
Quote:
What does left or right wing have to do with anything? DC and I normally agree on politic. And we don't on this issue because it simply isn't a matter of politics.
I'm specifically referring to several posters here who have a problem with it, who are indeed left wing.. What does their political ideology have to do with it? Oh interant, hateful, is an obvious starters
Quote:
So put a coupon in the weekly circular and leave one's faith out of it. There's no need to cheapen faith in this way.
The whole bulletin is the coupon, I see very little difference.

So if they put a coupon in the bulletin, according to you, thats vastly different than a bulletin being the coupon? Why, considering they'd still need to get the bulletin to get the coupon.. Do you not understand that?
Quote:
Not even you believe this. And you realize that people could make monetary profits in the time of Jesus, right?
Absolutely, which has me curious why its all of a sudden bad to the left
Quote:
Where did I imply this? If the community is predominately church-going, then s/he is a smart business proprietor in that s/he is trying to attract people to the business. But that's separate from the ethics of denigrating faith by tying it to 10% off coupons.
But if they put a coupon in the brochure, that wouldnt denigrade the faith?
Quote:
Yep, off the deep end you are.
I'm just trying to narrow down the reason for all of the hate, intolerance, and the ridiculous levels you guys are going through to find a problem that doesnt exist.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:13 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
I'm definitely ordering a pizza for dinner tonight!

Old 08-22-2014, 03:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This has nothing to do with the church. The church is in no way involved. The discount is gave for bringing in something that you just happen to get if you went to church. The church hands you the bulletin regardless.

It would be like saying the state is involved because you show your D.L. to prove you are eligible for the senior discount. All of this over a business targeting a group of people who are generally out eating at that time of day.

It's simply amazing that someone would get upset over this especially the ones complaining they wouldn't get a discount even though they would and those wanting to blame an entity that really isn't even involved directly.
I tried to interject some common sense here, I see I wasted my time.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:17 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yes and a hospital is a business, run by people
and a pizza joint is a business, run by people.

Do you really need someone to explain this to you?
No, but I had to explain it to you.

Quote:
So now its too lame to be meaningfull, after you've just whined and cried for pages upon pages that it shouldnt exist because of "crazies"..
What shouldn't exist? I'm actually glad to see that more business owners managed to stamp "I'm a religious crazy" on their forehead. I actually dislike that some took offense and challenged them. The best bet is to let such idiocy corner itself.

Quote:
Unless of course you happen to be say Muslim, and what your child to be adopted by another Muslim.. you'll be fine with that I bet.. only those Catholics or some other religious group thats cool for the left to hate
Do you know ANYTHING about adoption? Or, do you know only as much required to bad mouth people based purely on their religious affiliation? A child is looking for a loving home. It is between that child and a family approved for adoption.

Heck, in the run for craziness, you even forgot to notice that many of these agencies require specific church membership (not all churches either). Things don't get any more idiotic and disgusting than that, but then they also happen to find support from people like you.

Quote:
But you keep responding trying to distract from your intolerant and hateful postings you have for people of religion..
People of religion? Which ones?

Old 08-22-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Dismiss the OT? No, not at all. The OT provides rules for living that are eternal (don't murder, cheat on your spouse, steal from people, etc)

My understanding of the New Testament is that Christ's death supersedes the reliance upon dietary rules and other aspects of Mosaic law to obtain God's forgiveness of one's sins.

That belief in His death and resurrection as absolute payment for one's sins is all that's required hence the label, or belief, "Christian".
So, OT has been amended by NT in many specific areas, because God's words was less than perfect? But, I would be curious about which NT verses amend the dietary requirements, that it is okay to eat pigs and shell fish. Let me see them.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No, but I had to explain it to you.
Haha, not even remotely true. I'm the one who started talking about the business, i.e. hospital I'm using a church activity to raise money for, and a hospital is a BUSINESS, just like the pizza joint..

You've gone through great lenghts to pretend there is a difference, that ones ok, but the other one isnt but failed
Quote:
What shouldn't exist? I'm actually glad to see that more business owners managed to stamp "I'm a religious crazy" on their forehead. I actually dislike that some took offense and challenged them. The best bet is to let such idiocy corner itself.
And according to you, because I run a christmas display, I must be some religious crazy, despite the fact that I'm not the least bit religious..

Just because your hatred is showing, it doesnt make what you say, true
Quote:
Do you know ANYTHING about adoption? Or, do you know only as much required to bad mouth people based purely on their religious affiliation? A child is looking for a loving home.
Haha, considering I'm adopted, my sisters adopted, my brothers adopted, my daughters adopted my sons adopted, I've got a dozen or so cousins that are adopted, I'm more than positive that I know far more about adoption than you.. Hell, I helped write adoption legislation for the state of PA when they were changing over from their previous goals of maintaining the family, despite issues which rest with them, to finding homes suitable for children when the family would never get their **** together in order to be re-united with their children in foster care.
Quote:
It is between that child and a family approved for adoption.
Which shows how little you know about adoptions. A child has absolutely no say so in the matter until they become old enough, 16 in most states,
Quote:
Heck, in the run for craziness, you even forgot to notice that many of these agencies require specific church membership (not all churches either). Things don't get any more idiotic and disgusting than that, but then they also happen to find support from people like you.
So you dont think a muslim, should have say in regards to their children going to a non muslim family?
Quote:
People of religion? Which ones?
The ones where you non stop badmouth them calling them crazies.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:29 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
An Arkansas pizza joint gives a 10% discount if you produce a church bulletin. That's one way, and possibly a legal way, around 'public accommodation' & anti-discrimination laws. It's no different than a veteran's discount.

“I didn’t say you had to go to church to get it. Go get a bulletin from your neighbor and come in and have a pizza.” (or possibly print it from the Internet?)

Pizza parlor's church discount gives atheists indigestion | Fox News

I've seen places that have been doing this for many, many years.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:35 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
no, both a for profit, and non profits are both corporations.. In fact some of the largest paid CEO's in this nation work for non profits. Try again..
No kidding. And?

Quote:
I'm specifically referring to several posters here who have a problem with it, who are indeed left wing.. What does their political ideology have to do with it? Oh interant, hateful, is an obvious starters
Oh so you are just indulging your bias rather than paying attention to what people are actually arguing then. Ok. Funny given that I'm being the most religiously conservative on this issue.

Quote:
The whole bulletin is the coupon, I see very little difference.
The weekly circular is secular.

Quote:
So if they put a coupon in the bulletin, according to you, thats vastly different than a bulletin being the coupon? Why, considering they'd still need to get the bulletin to get the coupon.. Do you not understand that?
No, I didn't say but it in the bulletin. I don't think I've ever seen a coupon in the bulletins of any of the churches I've attended.

Quote:
Absolutely, which has me curious why its all of a sudden bad to the left
You are definitely missing the point. Jesus didn't charge money for his services or, in the case of the wine, his products. He didn't seek to generate a monetary profit.

Quote:
But if they put a coupon in the brochure, that wouldnt denigrade the faith?
You think it enriches it? There's plenty of places to get coupons. And I certainly don't need to think about how I'm going to save money on my eating bill when I'm at mass.

Quote:
I'm just trying to narrow down the reason for all of the hate, intolerance, and the ridiculous levels you guys are going through to find a problem that doesnt exist.
You and the hysterics. Faith shouldn't be used as a marketing tool for a local restaurant, and its worth shouldn't be measured in coupon discounts. Atheists should have no issue using the bulletin as a coupon for savings on their pizza. People of the Christian faith, as an example, should think about why they would want their faith to buy them 10% off a pizza. If it's so that they can put that 10% in the poor box, great. There possibly is an argument for the coupon. If they just want to save 10% to have more money in their pocket, that's a issue.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Haha, not even remotely true. I'm the one who started talking about the business, i.e. hospital I'm using a church activity to raise money for, and a hospital is a BUSINESS, just like the pizza joint..
Of course you did and took an issue with my pointing out that a hospital is NOT a person. Haha, haha?

Quote:
And according to you, because I run a christmas display, I must be some religious crazy, despite the fact that I'm not the least bit religious..
Not necessarily. There is an equal chance of you being an opportunist using religious beliefs. It is also possible that you might be into charity (although, if you only use religious attachment for it, your motives could be questionable and circles back to religious craziness rather than unconditional giving). So, there are several possibilities.

Quote:
Just because your hatred is showing, it doesnt make what you say, true
Well, don't judge my point based on my dislike for stupidity. Judge based on why I am calling something stupid.

[qupte]Haha, considering I'm adopted, my sisters adopted, my brothers adopted, my daughters adopted my sons adopted, I've got a dozen or so cousins that are adopted, I'm more than positive that I know far more about adoption than you.. [/quote]
May be. But that doesn't change the fact that playing religious games is a disgusting behavior.

Quote:
Which shows how little you know about adoptions. A child has absolutely no say so in the matter until they become old enough, 16 in most states
And how exactly did you end up here? These adoptive agencies are demanding specific denominations and churches to qualify for parenting, no matter how qualified a parent. The child is nowhere in sight at this point, but sitting somewhere hoping for a family.

May be, you and I were raised very differently. You seem to be okay with what I find utterly disgusting... except that you would likely find it disgusting if...

Quote:
So you dont think a muslim, should have say in regards to their children going to a non muslim family?
... it justifies your religious crazy side that has only blind hate for Muslims. You were never taught to see people as people, past their religion. Did your parents use one of these adoption agencies?

Quote:
The ones where you non stop badmouth them calling them crazies.
Muslims, Parsis, Jews, Sikhs, Hindus, Buddhists, Christians, Atheists, Agnostics...?

Old 08-22-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
No kidding. And?
So you admit there really isnt a difference, but argued for pages that there were.. typical
Quote:
Oh so you are just indulging your bias rather than paying attention to what people are actually arguing then. Ok. Funny given that I'm being the most religiously conservative on this issue.
I dont really care, you havent yet given a valid reason whats wrong with using a bulletin as a coupon. I'm not at all bias, I just dont see why you are making a big deal out of it.
Quote:
The weekly circular is secular.
Exactly, so your issue again is what?
Quote:
No, I didn't say but it in the bulletin. I don't think I've ever seen a coupon in the bulletins of any of the churches I've attended.
I have..
Quote:
You are definitely missing the point. Jesus didn't charge money for his services or, in the case of the wine, his products. He didn't seek to generate a monetary profit.
No, jesus had a motive of pushing forward the agenda of god, a Pizza joint has an agenda of pushing forward some profits.. so?
Quote:
You think it enriches it?
Dont recall anyone saying it enriches it, but it sure in hell doesnt degrade it despite comments made here to the contrary
Quote:
There's plenty of places to get coupons. And I certainly don't need to think about how I'm going to save money on my eating bill when I'm at mass.
I dont think the church was pushing this at mass or promoting the pizza joint, so this sentance adds nothing to the discussion
Quote:
You and the hysterics. Faith shouldn't be used as a marketing tool for a local restaurant, and its worth shouldn't be measured in coupon discounts. Atheists and agnostics should have no issue using the bulletin as a coupon for savings on their pizza. People of the Christian faith, as an example, should think about why they would want their faith to buy them 10% off a pizza. If it's so that they can put that 10% in the poor box, great. There possibly is an argument for the coupon. If they just want to save 10% to have more money in their pocket, that's a problem.
So the United Way, which uses faith to market their fundraising is bad? Catholic Charities, bad, locally we have hospitals that are religious based, the homeless, feeding the poor and more..

All of thats ok, but dont dare use it as a coupon for pizza because that just crosses the line..

Ridiculous..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies