Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 06:39 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethalstad View Post
The First and Third question are what I meant.
A Russian will always view the world the with a Russian lens first. Over time, just like anybody else, they will form opinions based on what they know, but this doesn't mean they will accept the America first view.

It's unlikely any Russian will oppose Russia just because the USA is opposed to Russia. Our media is controlled and filled with propaganda just like theirs is. Russians, however, have life experience to contrast American viewpoints with and don't hold an anti Russia ideology. This is not to say that Russians will always support Russia, but as with anything else, it depends on the issue.

Quote:
The second question is a total stereotype. An insulting one at that.
No it's not. Americans watch the most TV and are the fattest in the world.

America Tops List of 10 Most Obese Countries - US News
• Daily TV viewing time per person in selected countries 2012 | Statistic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 06:57 PM

207 posts, read 497,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
A Russian will always view the world the with a Russian lens first. Over time, just like anybody else, they will form opinions based on what they know, but this doesn't mean they will accept the America first view.

It's unlikely any Russian will oppose Russia just because the USA is opposed to Russia. Our media is controlled and filled with propaganda just like theirs is. Russians, however, have life experience to contrast American viewpoints with and don't hold an anti Russia ideology. This is not to say that Russians will always support Russia, but as with anything else, it depends on the issue.
Now I do not expect them to oppose Russia because the United States opposes Russia. However, I would certainly hope that they would come up with either a neutral point of view on the matter may it be on Crimea, the war in Ukraine or Putin. Or better yet, I hope that Russians living in the United States would be smart enough to come up with their own unbiased point of view rather than the point of view that Russian media outlets give them. Especially considering that if they live in the United States, I would think that many of them would be either pro-American or simply have no opinion on politics and do not care to have one for that matter. At least I hope this is the case when it comes to the young Russians in the United States aged 18-31 that is as most of them probably have been living in the United States for years after all.

Quote:

Yeah... Just going to ignore that one entirely.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:19 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I'm of Russian descent, and I don't support Putin homophobic agenda, but at the same time I don't see why Russia can't have Crimea. Crimea has more ethnic Russians than Ukrainians anyway.
Parts of southern Texas are majority Mexican. That doesn't give Mexico a reason to take that part of Texas.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Now I do not expect them to oppose Russia because the United States opposes Russia. However, I would certainly hope that they would come up with either a neutral point of view on the matter may it be on Crimea, the war in Ukraine or Putin. Or better yet, I hope that Russians living in the United States would be smart enough to come up with their own unbiased point of view rather than the point of view that Russian media outlets give them.
They will form their own opinion. However, opinions are invariably influenced by various media outlets and RT is but one of those media outlets.

Quote:
Especially considering that if they live in the United States, I would think that many of them would be either pro-American or simply have no opinion on politics and do not care to have one for that matter. At least I hope this is the case when it comes to the young Russians in the United States aged 18-31 that is as most of them probably have been living in the United States for years after all.
Yeah, that's not going to happen. Sorry.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Parts of southern Texas are majority Mexican. That doesn't give Mexico a reason to take that part of Texas.
That's partly because we annexed TX and then subsequently went to war with Mexico.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
They will form their own opinion. However, opinions are invariably influenced by various media outlets and RT is but one of those media outlets.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Sorry.
And you know this how? One thing that I will note about your answers is that you conveniently leave out the factor of how many years many of these Russian immigrants have lived here, especially the ones 18-31 years old.

The bottom line of what you quoted from me is that I hope not all Russians living in the United States have the same viewpoint on politics.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
That's partly because we annexed TX and then subsequently went to war with Mexico.
You do realize that was back in the 19th century when there were no rules against annexing foreign countries, let alone territories of those countries.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
And you know this how?
Know what? That Russians won't take either a pro America or neutral/no opinion stance? If so, that's because you aren't leaving room for people to form their own opinion and there is no requirement to give up cognitive thinking when you move to the USA.

Quote:
One thing that I will note about your answers is that you conveniently leave out the factor of how many years many of these Russian immigrants have lived here, especially the ones 18-31 years old.
How can I define an unknown variable? Over time viewpoints will change and I said as much earlier.

Quote:
The bottom line of what you quoted from me is that I hope not all Russians living in the United States have the same viewpoint on politics.
Of course, not every Russian will have the same opinion. We are talking about individuals here.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:35 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
There have been anti-Russian protests at the embassy in NY City. Relying on Russian news outlets is a waste of time. I would expect that Russians immigrated here for a very good reason.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There have been anti-Russian protests at the embassy in NY City. Relying on Russian news outlets is a waste of time. I would expect that Russians immigrated here for a very good reason.
Thank you for clearing things up! This is a huge relief for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies