Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 07:47 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Given all that, wasn't the South really stupid to start a fight they couldn't possibly win?
What does that say about our last two presidents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 07:59 AM

37,221 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I can understand why the Confederate flag being displayed in a government setting would upset people. I have no problem with that but I do using this video as an example of why something is bad. Just because some new group decides to use something today does not make that item something we should ban.

The KKK often flew the U.S. flag but that isn't a reason to ban it is it?
Where were the Sons of Confederate Veterans and the Daughters of the Confederacy while the KKK and the neonazis were changing the meaning of their flag? Not a peep was heard from either group, nor has been since, and that is damning. Their silence puts them squarely in the corner with the hate groups who appropriated it.

Whatever it may have once meant, it is displayed most often today as a way for someone to announce to the world that he is racially prejudiced and proud of it.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:04 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
A careless spy let the Union head off their invasion of D.C. by exactly one day in 1862, so you could say they actually had a very good chance of winning.

People had enough faith in a CSA victory that at first their money was on par with the dollar, despite not being backed by anything.
So, why were they attacking DC in the first place?

Down South the War wasnt called The Civil War - it was known as The War of Northern Aggression. Too much corn liquor, I reckon, huh?? *shrugs*

Why is it called the Civil War now? Because history is just that - his story. And the "accepted version" is usually written by the winner as it relates to war and aggression. As a nation, dont we usually have a good moral reason for the wars and police actions we participate in? Are those good moral reasons usually crystal-clear truth?

Confederate money is a part of American History, and scarse as years pass. It is a collector's item now.

If someone found a can of CSA silver and gold coins in their back yard, they wouldnt melt it down as scrap if they are smart. Its historical value far outweighs the value of the metal. Same goes for the paper notes.

As I recall, there are numerous stories about what happened to the remaining treasury of the South at wars end. It left with Jefferson Davis, as a fugitive President of the Confederacy. The CSA Treasurer absconded with it. It was taken out West and buried somewhere in California or Mexico...

There is a town somewhere South of our border, where the native people dress as confederate officers and southern belles once a year. I think its in South America, somewhere like Bolivia or Argentina, but it could very well be elsewhere - not sure. They dance, feast and celebrate their confederate ancestors who immigrated at wars end. They all look like natives, except for the regalia and dances they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l5ILYQAC1I - Southern Brazil.

Are the stories of the gold just a myth - or could California be trying to hide something? *giggles and runs*

(For the record, I think most Southerners believe there was no gold - it's a myth. Others believe their are places throughout the Southland that it could be buried based on who was where at wars end. Then the theories of ending up buried in California or Mexico.)

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 08-24-2014 at 08:19 AM..

Old 08-24-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Where were the Sons of Confederate Veterans and the Daughters of the Confederacy while the KKK and the neonazis were changing the meaning of their flag? Not a peep was heard from either group, nor has been since, and that is damning. Their silence puts them squarely in the corner with the hate groups who appropriated it.
SONS OF CONFEDERATE VETERANS CONDEMNS ANTIETAM KLAN RALLY

Southern Heritage <br>News and Views: SONS OF CONFEDERATE VETERANS CONDEMNS ANTIETAM KLAN RALLY

Quote:
Whatever it may have once meant, it is displayed most often today as a way for someone to announce to the world that he is racially prejudiced and proud of it.
You missed the point. I still went ahead and addressed it anyway.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:11 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
So, why were they attacking DC in the first place?

The same reason the NVA would capture Saigon almost a century later; capturing an enemy capitol is a huge psychological victory.

Had the CSA gotten D.C. the North would have brokered peace terms immediately led by the Copperheads.

Quote:
If someone found a can of CSA silver and gold coins in their back yard, they wouldn't melt it down as scrap if they are smart. Its historical value far outweighs the value of the metal. Same goes for the paper notes.
CSA didn't have coins (barring a prototype run of I think six coins); no metal to make them and no engravers to mint them.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:27 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Gang colors & tattoos are not more offensive than the Confederate flag to "most" people. That's nonsense. And the state doesn't display these things on public property... This is about preventing a sign of racism being displayed on public property.
Where on State of California property was this flag displayed or sold?

Just another big liberal circle jerk.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Where on State of California property was this flag displayed or sold?

Just another big liberal circle jerk.
It's all explained in the thread if you read through it.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:42 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
A careless spy let the Union head off their invasion of D.C. by exactly one day in 1862, so you could say they actually had a very good chance of winning.

People had enough faith in a CSA victory that at first their money was on par with the dollar, despite not being backed by anything.
The British occupied and burned the city in 1814. A country doesn't lose a war based upon the taking of a piece of real estate.

Confederate money was never worth much. Especially since all states printed their own.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:53 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I didn't even know California allowed the Confederate flag to be flown on government property. Considering this is California, which was not part of the Confederacy, I would think that no one would even consider flying something like that, unless it was out of some kind of rage.

Personally, as long as the USA flag never gets banned, I have no problem with the Confederate flag being banned from the state property. We don't fly Mexico's flag on government property(unless it was part of a museum exhibit). The CSA has no place on state capitols. The Civil War is long over, and the CSA lost that war. It has ceased to be a nation. Actually, it was just territories in rebellion against the USA.

I have personal reasons for not liking the Confederate flag as well. Most of my ancestors come from slaves in the USA. I've read the Articles of Secession. Slavery was mentioned as a major reason for secession. Plenty of slaves might have been shipped here under the USA flag. However, the USA didn't rebel against the UK over slavery. Elites and planters in the South were adamant about keeping and expanding slavery and were prepared to rebel. Slavery was a major reason.

That is why I don't have a problem with it being banned from state capitols and other government offices.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:12 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
California will soon have two flags, the Mexican one for the south and presumably a herpes laden anus for the north; perhaps one sore for every major city?
My suggestion is that you get out of North California more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies