Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 11:58 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,296,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I didn't even know California allowed the Confederate flag to be flown on government property. Considering this is California, which was not part of the Confederacy, I would think that no one would even consider flying something like that, unless it was out of some kind of rage.

Personally, as long as the USA flag never gets banned, I have no problem with the Confederate flag being banned from the state property. We don't fly Mexico's flag on government property(unless it was part of a museum exhibit). The CSA has no place on state capitols. The Civil War is long over, and the CSA lost that war. It has ceased to be a nation. Actually, it was just territories in rebellion against the USA.

I have personal reasons for not liking the Confederate flag as well. Most of my ancestors come from slaves in the USA. I've read the Articles of Secession. Slavery was mentioned as a major reason for secession. Plenty of slaves might have been shipped here under the USA flag. However, the USA didn't rebel against the UK over slavery. Elites and planters in the South were adamant about keeping and expanding slavery and were prepared to rebel. Slavery was a major reason.

That is why I don't have a problem with it being banned from state capitols and other government offices.
A private gift shop at the state capitol was selling replica confederate money. An assemblyman from Compton found out about it from his mother and wrote the bill to ban the state from selling similar merchandise or displaying confederate flags. According to the bill's author, the bill does not apply to individuals. So far, it seems the CA government does and did not operate any retail stores or fly the flag on government property (obviously).

Much ado about nothing. Pass a law prohibiting the state from doing something it wasn't doing in the first place. Idiots. They might as well pass a law prohibiting bear races in government buildings.

California lawmakers OK bill that would ban Confederate flag displays - LA Times

Here is the full text of the bill.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...01320140AB2444

This bill would prohibit the State of California from selling or displaying the Battle Flag of the Confederacy, or a similar image, or tangible personal property inscribed with those images, unless the image appears in a book, digital medium, or state museum that serves an educational or historical purpose.

Bill Text

The people of the State of California do enact as follows:

SECTION 1.

Chapter 2.9 (commencing with Section 8195) is added to Division 1 of Title 2 of the Government Code, to read:
CHAPTER 2.9. Confederate Flag

(a) The State of California may not sell or display the Battle Flag of the Confederacy, also referred to as the Stars and Bars, or any similar image, or tangible personal property, inscribed with such an image unless the image appears in a book, digital medium, or state museum that serves an educational or historical purpose.
(b) For purposes of this section, “sell” means to transfer title or possession, exchange, or barter, conditional or otherwise, in any manner or by any means whatsoever, for consideration. “Transfer possession” includes only transactions that would be found by the State Board of Equalization, for purposes of the Sales and Use Tax Law, to be in lieu of a transfer of title, exchange, or barter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 12:08 PM

73,149 posts, read 62,992,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
A private gift shop at the state capitol was selling replica confederate money. An assemblyman from Compton found out about it from his mother and wrote the bill to ban the state from selling similar merchandise or displaying confederate flags. According to the bill's author, the bill does not apply to individuals. So far, it seems the CA government does and did not operate any retail stores or fly the flag on government property (obviously).

Much ado about nothing. Pass a law prohibiting the state from doing something it wasn't doing in the first place. Idiots. They might as well pass a law prohibiting bear races in government buildings.

California lawmakers OK bill that would ban Confederate flag displays - LA Times

Here is the full text of the bill.

Bill Text - AB-2444 Confederate flag: sales: government property.

This bill would prohibit the State of California from selling or displaying the Battle Flag of the Confederacy, or a similar image, or tangible personal property inscribed with those images, unless the image appears in a book, digital medium, or state museum that serves an educational or historical purpose.

Bill Text

The people of the State of California do enact as follows:

SECTION 1.

Chapter 2.9 (commencing with Section 8195) is added to Division 1 of Title 2 of the Government Code, to read:
CHAPTER 2.9. Confederate Flag

(a) The State of California may not sell or display the Battle Flag of the Confederacy, also referred to as the Stars and Bars, or any similar image, or tangible personal property, inscribed with such an image unless the image appears in a book, digital medium, or state museum that serves an educational or historical purpose.
(b) For purposes of this section, “sell” means to transfer title or possession, exchange, or barter, conditional or otherwise, in any manner or by any means whatsoever, for consideration. “Transfer possession” includes only transactions that would be found by the State Board of Equalization, for purposes of the Sales and Use Tax Law, to be in lieu of a transfer of title, exchange, or barter.
Still, why should I be bothered that Confederate flags cannot be sold on government property by anyone?

Old 08-24-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Still, why should I be bothered that Confederate flags cannot be sold on government property by anyone?
The law only bans the state, it's not applicable to private people. Other contractual regulations apply to items sold by private vendors (such as those on fair grounds), but in absence of those contracts, a private person could still sell confederate memorabilia and not be in violation of this law.

I don't think anyone should necessarily be bothered by it. I just think it is stupid to pass a law prohibiting yourself from doing something you aren't doing anyway. I'm not even sure if CA owns a retail store, but if they do that is who this law would apply to.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:24 PM

4,982 posts, read 3,303,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
. "No Californian should be exposed to the type of hate or threat of violence caused by the image of the Confederate flag
Lol lol lol Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah lmao

Old 08-24-2014, 01:56 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,620,561 times
I may have missed something about the story but why would California display or sell that flag anyway?

Old 08-24-2014, 02:02 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,068,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I may have missed something about the story but why would California display or sell that flag anyway?
Apparently, there was some replica Confederate money in a gift shop. Said replica money had an image of the flag on it. I think this is overreach but then again, it's California.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Post #191.

CA wasn't selling the flag. A private gift shop was selling confederate money at the state capitol. The new law would not prohibit a similar gift shop from selling or displaying confederate memorabilia as long as the gift shop is private.

What CA does have, included in vendor agreements, is verbiage prohibiting certain items from being sold on state property by private vendors. It's not clear whether that verbiage applied to the gift shop or if the gift shop removed the merchandise due to a complaint.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:06 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,487,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Apparently, there was some replica Confederate money in a gift shop. Said replica money had an image of the flag on it. I think this is overreach but then again, it's California.
Yes, there were thousands of Black folks killed this year by the Confederate Flag and by Confederate money. Didn't you hear? There was the Confederate Flag that killed Trayvon Martin, there was the Confederate money that killed that thug in Missouri. Just scores and scores of Blacks killed off because of that flag and money. LOL!

Old 08-24-2014, 02:16 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,620,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Ah! Thanks.I'm glad everyone is safe.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:17 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,068,280 times
Quote:
Ah! Thanks.I'm glad everyone is safe.
Much ado about nothing. It's an inanimate object. It has power over you only if you let it have that power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies