Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 04:25 PM

13,752 posts, read 8,004,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
...Your article specifically indicated that many children of post-1976 immigrants are at risk. And the poverty statistics reflect that.
Again when you consider the conditions in which many arrived (uneducated, no English, on pubic assistance) it is to be excepted. The better question is why such communities have begun to flourish over time while many AA inner city communities are still in the dumps.

The answer always comes back to education.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:34 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Again when you consider the conditions in which many arrived (uneducated, no English, on pubic assistance) it is to be excepted. The better question is why such communities have begun to flourish over time while many AA inner city communities are still in the dumps.

John, you may as well be arguing with a brick wall. Some people just prefer to rationalize and make excuses for why group A, who is culturally known for holding their kids to high academic standards, consistently outperforms group B, who is culturally known not to place as much emphasis on it...despite the fact both groups are poor in this example.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:35 PM

741 posts, read 915,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
IQ measures access to education.
This thread has 'gone long' in the meantime but just to set the record straight; this is mostly incorrect.

Rural Chinese have higher IQs than minorities in US districts where education spending is as astronomically high as the achievement level pitifully low. Per all empirical indicators, early childhood development plays a strong role in IQ but it then becomes a chicken or the egg type question where one is left wondering why certain ethnicity are considerably less likely to develop positive, progressive cognitive traits in their offspring.

Anyway, to make it clear: IQ is not a measure of 'what you know'. It's a measure of your overall cognitive abilities. Nowhere on an IQ test will you be asked to name the largest city in Uruguay.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:00 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:

You ignore the point I made in a prior post, that black poverty rates descended dramatically from 1959 (keep in mind that Brown v. Board of Education was decided in 1954, only five years prior to 1959) to 2000--falling from 55% to 25%. Doesn't it seem, then, that the forty year period (1959-2000) reflects dramatic gains in black achievement (supported by dramatically improved educational attainment) after the legal desegregation of public education?

Old 08-26-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
John, you may as well be arguing with a brick wall. Some people just prefer to rationalize and make excuses for why group A, who is culturally known for holding their kids to high academic standards, consistently outperforms group B, who is culturally known not to place as much emphasis on it...despite the fact both groups are poor in this example.
Where is this "cultural knowledge" reflected? Because it looks like your stereotypes are showing.

BlackDemographics.com | Educational Attainment

There is a steady increase in black educational attainment from 1970 to the present, with the percentage of college graduates more than tripling.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:35 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
According to FBI stats, in 2011, 448 white people were murdered by blacks. 193 black people were murdered by whites. Blacks killed 240% more whites than white on black. But let's not let facts get in the way of the cnn / msnbc narrative. Trayvonne and Michael brown turn eyes to the tv and that's all that is important
What do those stats have to do with hate crimes, though? You do understand the difference between racially-motivated crimes and others (like money-motivated or domestic), don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
For some reason I think a lot of posters are going to ignore your post. People choose what they want to see and believe.
Not ignoring, it was just irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Those were general crime stats, not HATE crime stats, so it's impossible to say if they relate to this topic.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:37 PM

13,752 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
You ignore the point I made in a prior post, that black poverty rates descended dramatically from 1959 (keep in mind that Brown v. Board of Education was decided in 1954, only five years prior to 1959) to 2000--falling from 55% to 25%. Doesn't it seem, then, that the forty year period (1959-2000) reflects dramatic gains in black achievement (supported by dramatically improved educational attainment) after the legal desegregation of public education?

I'm sorry but when only* 47%-52% (2010) of black males graduate from high school nearly 55 years after the landmark Brown v. Board of Education case that's disgraceful.

No one is saying you need to get As or Bs. (Hell, I wasn't much more than a C student myself.)

However, you've GOT to do the bare minimum and graduate.

You need at least a HS diploma to have fighting chance these days.

*stat vary depending on the source.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:46 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Really?? Black on white hate crime is rare?
Yet another sad example of how the Old Media drives perceptions and contributes to that "head in the sand" mentality.

Google is your friend.
Google? Really?? If that's your solution for conducting research on a topic like this, I'd say jade (the other poster) is more informed than you! I can type any search into Google, get a million hits, and cherry-pick whatever "sources" confirm my personal beliefs - regardless of their validity, primary source, etc.

Also, as the old saying goes, 99% of all statistics are made up... or if you Google that saying, pick whichever percentage you'd like from the results. Case in point, lol.

Searches related to 99 of all statistics are made up:
99 of statistics are made up on the spot
80 of all statistics are made up
90 of all statistics are made up
95 of all statistics are made up
98 of all statistics are made up
75 of all statistics are made up

Old 08-26-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but when only* 47%-52% (2010) of black males graduate from high school nearly 55 years after the landmark Brown v. Board of Education case that's disgraceful.

No one is saying you need to get As or Bs. (Hell, I wasn't much more than a C student myself.)

However, you've GOT to do the bare minimum and graduate.

You need at least a HS diploma to have fighting chance these days.

*stat vary depending on the source.
Your statistic does not vary by source, but is made up. According to the census, of persons 25 or older, black high school graduation (or equivalent) is 82%. http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/p20-566.pdf

Old 08-26-2014, 06:05 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
[quote=k350;36212459]They will always try to claim the motive was other than race, however, if race is the attraction, say the perception white are easier targets and have more valuables to rob, then that in itself is racism, which would make that a hate crime.
[quote]

Why? Whites are typically more affluent and less likely to come from violent neighborhoods, so less likely to resist a mugging. I can imagine a black man dressed in a suit will have the same problem, and for the same reasons too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies