Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 10:58 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
For some reason I think a lot of posters are going to ignore your post. People choose what they want to see and believe.
Correct it for socioeconomic status and then we see.

I suspect you will find that poor people hit rich people. Wonder why?

Old 08-24-2014, 12:20 AM

741 posts, read 915,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Correct it for socioeconomic status and then we see.

I suspect you will find that poor people hit rich people. Wonder why?
In defense of the point they were making, even corrected for socioeconomic status, I'd bet that blacks still are grossly disproportionately attacking whites compared to the versa.

This is largely because of cultural resentment.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:18 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Actually, it is a hate crime. The intentionally committing a crime against someone because of their race is a hate crime. Seeking out white people because of their perspective of carrying valuables is a hate crime. A group of whites vandalizing a white owned Mexican food store is a hate crime. Targeting illegal immigrants to rob them because they carry cash is a hate crime.

The issue is that proving a hate crime has a high bar, in which there has to be clear and solid intent of the basis of the crime in a legal sense. Speaking non-legal sense, it is racism to target any group. If blacks are targeting whites to rob, or whites targeting Hispanics to rob, it is racism despite the evidence often not meeting the bar for it being legally a hate crime.

But I would bet money on it that if groups of whites started targeting blacks to rob, the gov would right away investigate as a hate crime, just as they do when illegal immigrants are robbed.
No it isn't. They aren't targeting that person because they are white, it is because they think they have iPhones. It is not like you go to the trailer park hoping people have iPhones. You go to the neighborhood with the hipster bars where the young people use uber to get home. It isn't racism at all. It is increasing your odds and it is a crime of opportunity. Targeting someone white as a proxy of wealth isn't actually a hate crime. There needs to be a more malicious intent.

Robbing an immigrant because you think they have cash, with a goal of getting cash isn't a hate crime. Robbing an immigrant because they are immigrants would be. If tomorrow black people started carrying more cash then robbers after cash would change their targets.

The reason the bar is so high for hate crimes is because they have to be genuinely racially motivated, not due to correlation of traits or possessions.

There was a rash of robberies of Indians in a nearby city. The Indian neighborhoods were targeted because the Indians tended to have gold jewelry. This wasn't ruled as a hate crime as it wasn't directly racial motivated by hate.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:27 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
According to FBI stats, in 2011, 448 white people were murdered by blacks. 193 black people were murdered by whites. Blacks killed 240% more whites than white on black. But let's not let facts get in the way of the cnn / msnbc narrative. Trayvonne and Michael brown turn eyes to the tv and that's all that is important
There are 7- 8x more white people than black people in this country. Black people are for more likely to be murdered than white people. Your 240% metric is completely meaningless in relationship to the actual numbers of black people and white people murdered.

3172 white people were murdered in 2011. 2695 black people were murdered in that same year.

14% of white victims were murdered by black people. 7% of black people were murdered by white people. You can look at the infographic I attached to drill into "black on black crime."

Stats can tell any story you want them to, but white people should be a lot more concerned about being targeted by a fellow white person as over 80% of the perpetrators for white victims are also white.
Attached Thumbnails
Hate crime against white woman by black  in NYC central park today-image.jpg  

Old 08-24-2014, 05:20 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
They will always try to claim the motive was other than race, however, if race is the attraction, say the perception white are easier targets and have more valuables to rob, then that in itself is racism, which would make that a hate crime.

When I lived in the Arlington VA area, there was a bunch of grab and go thefts happening around, all of the people caught were black (it was a ring), from Maryland, and all the victims were white. Direct racism? No, but they came on over via the Metro and hung out waiting for victims of opportunity because they knew everyone around will have iphones, cash, necklaces, etc. If white people went to a black area with the intent purpose to rob blacks because they usually have more valuables on them, sure as heck hate crime charges would be filed.

No different than someone targeting illegal immigrant Hispanics because the perception they do not use bank accounts, so they will have cash on them.

Or against Asians by blacks and hispanics because the Asians are generally more laid back and do not fight back or press charges. The blacks and hispanics are quick to call it hate crime when they are victims, but they carry out so many crimes against others. I find it hard to generate any sympathies for the calls of blacks and hispanics against racism. They carry out plenty of racist hate crimes against others. I wish the police would crack down harder on these thugs.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:27 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There are 7- 8x more white people than black people in this country. Black people are for more likely to be murdered than white people. Your 240% metric is completely meaningless in relationship to the actual numbers of black people and white people murdered.

3172 white people were murdered in 2011. 2695 black people were murdered in that same year.

14% of white victims were murdered by black people. 7% of black people were murdered by white people. You can look at the infographic I attached to drill into "black on black crime."

Stats can tell any story you want them to, but white people should be a lot more concerned about being targeted by a fellow white person as over 80% of the perpetrators for white victims are also white.
From your stats, all I get is that, with a much smaller absolute population, blacks commit far more violent crimes, and many against whites, who have 8 times the population but commit only roughly only half of the absolute number of crime against blacks. What is the Asian break down and how many violent crimes are committed against them and by whom? That would be interesting and it should shatter the myth of the solidarity of "peoples of color" as a united block.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:33 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Black on white hate crimes are pretty rare. That sounds like it might actually be a hate crime, but the bulk of black on white crime isn't.

I hope this is not a repeat of the Cental Park jogger incident.
Really?? Black on white hate crime is rare?
Yet another sad example of how the Old Media drives perceptions and contributes to that "head in the sand" mentality.

Google is your friend.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:41 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:

Targeting white people because let's say they are a symbol of oppressions and white people are devils. Well that would be a hate crime.

Give me a very large break.

Targeting whites because...they're white is enough to constitute a hate crime.

BTW, I don't even agree with the "hate crime" concept. If it's going to be applied, however, it should be applied evenhandedly.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:01 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
No Arrest have been made and nobody's dead WTF!!!
Why was this posted?

This is quite a serious crime. Does someone have to die for you to become concerned?

Old 08-24-2014, 09:58 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,646 times
Don't mean to be pompous but your post pretty much argued against the point you are trying to make.

Yes, black people are more likely to get murdered by white people. But the overwhelming majority of those murders (of black people) are committed by other black people.

Yes, my 240% metric is somewhat meaningless, b/c it is severely understated given population differences you stated. The white population is 7-8x larger than the black population, yet a black people kill 2.4 white people for every black person killed by white.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies