Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 10:30 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Well, let's see. I'm mixed race, one half of me being black American. So yeah, I'm exposed to black people.

When you have young black men committing a proportionally higher number of crimes than any other demographic, there is bound to be some profiling going on. It's really just a bit of common sense in that regard. If you are respectful, do not mouth off to the officer, and don't flipping have any illegal substances, you're not going to get charged.

I'm of the mindset that we should instead concentrate on not having such a large proportion of our men committing crimes but hey, I've always been one of those personal responsibility types.

I feel like people are still arguing the old adage if a forest falls in a forest, does it make a sound. The analogy holds. If police stop arresting black Americans, do they suddenly stop committing crimes? Um, the answer is no. Oh and that tree? It makes a sound.

In essence, y'all are concentrating on the wrong problem.

White people do commit a lot of crime, but they are less likely to go to prison or jail for it.

When It Comes To Illegal Drug Use, White America Does The Crime, Black America Gets The Time
Minneapolis Youth Arrested for Serious Crimes

You can find article after article on this subject. White people are just as violent as any other group.

Two of my husband's childhood friends are cops and the reality is cops are people just like anyone else. One of his friends that is a cop has serious anger issues too. It's really not that hard to become a cop either so you have a lot of people who are police that have no business wearing a badge. Oh and his friends only became cops because the local job market went to hell and it was the only job they could get. Cops will beat up on people for the hell of it, I know this for a fact.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:47 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Back to Michael Brown. It seems two more witnesses who were working construction saw the shooting.

Workers who were witnesses provide new perspective on Michael Brown shooting : News
What I found most interesting about their story is the fact that Brown talked to one of them before. Evidently it was a 30 minute rambling monologue about God. This mirrors something that was mentioned in the NY Times write up about him. He had started to talk about angels and stuff. In the 2nd hand account of the officer he said he appeared to be on something.

I'm beginning to think he was experiencing some onset of psychosis or something. As for the actual eye witness account it really doesn't clear much up. There isn't much dispute about whether his hands were up it's not knowing what the officer perceived he was doing, surrendering or gearing up for another round?

Old 09-07-2014, 05:41 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What I found most interesting about their story is the fact that Brown talked to one of them before. Evidently it was a 30 minute rambling monologue about God. This mirrors something that was mentioned in the NY Times write up about him. He had started to talk about angels and stuff. In the 2nd hand account of the officer he said he appeared to be on something.

I'm beginning to think he was experiencing some onset of psychosis or something. As for the actual eye witness account it really doesn't clear much up. There isn't much dispute about whether his hands were up it's not knowing what the officer perceived he was doing, surrendering or gearing up for another round?
Or maybe he was having a spiritual awakening and this whole ordeal could be bigger than him.

This IS the case that is bringing about Police reform.

Unless you want to discredit Christianity, I wouldn't associate seeing the spirit realm with pyschosis.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Back to Michael Brown. It seems two more witnesses who were working construction saw the shooting.

Workers who were witnesses provide new perspective on Michael Brown shooting : News
Thanks for posting something relevant to the case. The last moments of the shooting are just as key as what happened at the window IMO because it shows Brown was fleeing and that he was surrendering. Not attacking the officer.

How many witnesses have said that Brown was surrendering now? At least 4-5 that I can think of.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
White people do commit a lot of crime, but they are less likely to go to prison or jail for it.

When It Comes To Illegal Drug Use, White America Does The Crime, Black America Gets The Time
Minneapolis Youth Arrested for Serious Crimes

You can find article after article on this subject. White people are just as violent as any other group.

Two of my husband's childhood friends are cops and the reality is cops are people just like anyone else. One of his friends that is a cop has serious anger issues too. It's really not that hard to become a cop either so you have a lot of people who are police that have no business wearing a badge. Oh and his friends only became cops because the local job market went to hell and it was the only job they could get. Cops will beat up on people for the hell of it, I know this for a fact.
You make good points about both.

Sentencing as well as enforcement are heavily biased. I grew up around all races and know the cultures of at least black and white people. There are huge disparities in sentencing and enforcement and the way that the law is enforced in some poor and/or minority comunities is downright illegal.

I also agree with you about the assessment about cops and have had an experience first hand. I've also heard many stories, including some from LE about what goes on out in the streets when no one is around. I'm so glad that this case, no matter the outcome, has brought a national spotlight on Police corruption in this country.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:36 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

Can we now add psychotic to punk, thug, and hardened criminal ?

The witness refutes the claim that Brown was bum-rushing or charging at Wilson.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:50 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
I keep coming back to suicide by cop.

Nothing else makes sense to me. (at this time)

Old 09-07-2014, 07:00 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
At least to me suicide by cop does not fit. He was angry and entitled. I think it was a dare and the cop shot him once. When he realized that he had been shot he rushed the cop. But we shall see. When the actual truth comes out I have learned that it will be different than what I think in some important way.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:06 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
At least to me suicide by cop does not fit. He was angry and entitled. I think it was a dare and the cop shot him once. When he realized that he had been shot he rushed the cop. But we shall see. When the actual truth comes out I have learned that it will be different than what I think in some important way.
No one else agrees with me.....

In the first few hours of this being reported someone said Brown was coming at the cop.......saying, "what are you going to do....shoot me".

I have not heard that reported again.

Time will tell.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:16 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
The societal aspects rival the actual events with the POTUS turning MB into a martyr for the "cause" and his parents into saints. In addition and despite the facts black schoolchildren being acculturated to sing "hands up don't shoot" as a fun activity and the DOJ led by a black man pressing the Ferguson PD for data on how "bad" they are. The black prejudice against caucasian peoples in full screen HD technicolor.

This is the prejudice or pull that caucasian people feel many times when they encounter a random black person that they are somehow owed something. Control, dysfunction and intimidation. No different from the way MB treated the shop keeper and allowed under the black paradigm. It is important to have skills to deal with this reality. Thank goodness for the police as typically when this type of person does not get what they want they try to escalate the situation.

My respect for Obama went from 80 to zero in a matter of one week. Such a problem for a nation to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies