Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 01:16 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,547,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I've never heard it before from him.
Then you weren't listening.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:18 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,547,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
As was Cosby. Makes me so mad.
Uh, no, he was widely celebrated.

ETA: Am I the only person who noticed how elated black people were when Obama was elected, or when Neil Degrasse Tyson was hosting Cosmos on Fox? Do you guys know nothing at all about black people. Wait, sorry, you don't, I forgot...

Old 08-26-2014, 01:21 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,040,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Uh, no, he was widely celebrated.

ETA: Am I the only person who noticed how elated black people were when Obama was elected, or when Neil Degrasse Tyson was hosting Cosmos on Fox? Do you guys know nothing at all about black people. Wait, sorry, you don't, I forgot...
Tyson, yes but Cosby, no. He was quite panned for his comments, wrongly in my opinion. Why do you think I know nothing about black people?

ETA: Cosmos is one of my daughter's favorite programs!

Last edited by southbel; 08-26-2014 at 01:32 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 01:32 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,040,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
This wasnt anything new to anyone who has watched his tv show on MSNBC. What he said doesnt surprise me at all. People keep going back 10 and 20 years to drags some dirt on Sharpton. They have a hard time getting anything in the past five years. He has hundreds of hours on MSNBC for conservative to pour over to find some dirt.
Fair enough if he's been saying it on his show as I do not watch it. And perhaps I am holding some of his actions of the past against him but his actions in the past were pretty bad. Also, what I had heard from him thus far on the Ferguson shooting seemed to be more reminiscent of the Shapton of old, this moment being one exception. I don't like him as a black leader because he constantly rails against all Republicans. Does he not know there are black Republicans as well?

Old 08-26-2014, 02:24 PM

2,459 posts, read 1,459,627 times
I'm not a Sharpton fan or anything, but to be completely honest, if Martin Luther King Jr was alive today, he would be seen like Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are seen today I imagine. The only thing that's going to save the black community is if we come down hard on our own to shape up. Again build businesses, crack down on those who commit crime killing property value. Also we need to stop glorifying all these sports athletes and entertainers who do nothing to contribute to their own people. They do all these commercials and stuff to entice black boys they should give all they got into playing some kind of sport or go into the music business. They need to stop that.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times
Some of you hear ONLY what you wanna hear. Once you label someone a certain way you, stick to it no matter what.

Sharpton has been saying this stuff for 14 or 15 straight years. He said not one damn thing in that eulogy that I hadn't heard him say before.

When he had his radio show on XM many moons ago, he said all this same stuff routinely. You're all just effin' tone deaf.

There has been no "gear changing" by Sharpton. You guys just finally earned enough money to afford a box of Q-tips.

Congratulations.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:40 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,910,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I don't know if you saw it, but Al Sharpton spoke at Michael Brown's funeral. In his talk, he inserted a message that we don't get from him very often. He included this to great applause which is not what you would expect from him.

At Michael Brown funeral, Al Sharpton's double-edged eulogy evokes anger | WashingtonExaminer.com!

"We've got to be straight up in our community, too," he said. "We have to be outraged at a 9-year-old girl killed in Chicago. We have got to be outraged by our disrespect for each other, our disregard for each other, our killing and shooting and running around gun-toting each other, so that they're justified in trying to come at us because some of us act like the definition of blackness is how low you can go."

"Blackness has never been about being a gangster or a thug," Sharpton continued. "Blackness was, no matter how low we was pushed down, we rose up anyhow."

Sharpton went on to describe blacks working to overcome discrimination, to build black colleges, to establish black churches, to succeed in life. "We never surrendered," Sharpton said. "We never gave up. And now we get to the 21st century, we get to where we've got some positions of power. And you decide it ain't black no more to be successful. Now, you want to be a n----- and call your woman a 'ho.' You've lost where you're coming from."
If he actually said that than kudos to him. Might just be the smartest thing that ever came out of that man's mouth.

Credit where credit is due.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:41 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I've never heard it before from him.
You didn't want to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
This wasnt anything new to anyone who has watched his tv show on MSNBC. What he said doesnt surprise me at all. People keep going back 10 and 20 years to drags some dirt on Sharpton. They have a hard time getting anything in the past five years. He has hundreds of hours on MSNBC for conservative to pour over to find some dirt.
Precisely.

Sharpton has said ALL OF THIS STUFF years ago. Nothing in that eulogy was original material.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:44 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,142,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Some of you hear ONLY what you wanna hear. Once you label someone a certain way you, stick to it no matter what.

Sharpton has been saying this stuff for 14 or 15 straight years. He said not one damn thing in that eulogy that I hadn't heard him say before.

When he had his radio show on XM many moons ago, he said all this same stuff routinely. You're all just effin' tone deaf.

There has been no "gear changing" by Sharpton. You guys just finally earned enough money to afford a box of Q-tips.

Congratulations.
You're winning hearts and minds with that warm and welcoming description of your perspective, dd. All by yourself, you're on track to repair the race relations rift in this country that was forced open to grand canyon proportions by the current administration. Keep up the good work!

Old 08-26-2014, 02:47 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,469,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Congratulations.
Talking about a box of q-tips, did any of the target audience use them so they could hear what he was saying? How come nobody in the black communities are listening to him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies